Tucson - what's the skinny? (1 Viewer)

I lived in Tucson from 2012-2015 and from 2017-2019. It really all depends on where you will work. Tucson has so many different areas and there is almost 1M people there.
Any schools to try to live near or avoid? High schools, in particular.

Any schools to try to live near or avoid? High schools, in particular.

Vail School District is the best so a lot of people live in Vail which is SE of Tucson. Rita Ranch is on the SE edge of Tucson and is in Vail school district. Both are where a lot of people live who work on Davis-Monthan AFB and probably the Target Distribution Center and Amazon. To the south is Sauharita off of I-19, the direct route to Nogales. Distances are in KM on I-19. There is the Catalina Foothills which are to the north and in the foothills of the Catalina mountains. If you work in the NW, there are a lot of areas up there and then there is Marana which is to the NW of Tucson on I-10. I-10 curves around Tucson from south to west. It is pretty spread out so really it all depends on where you work and how far you are willing to commute.

Vail School District is the best so a lot of people live in Vail which is SE of Tucson. Rita Ranch is on the SE edge of Tucson and is in Vail school district. Both are where a lot of people live who work on Davis-Monthan AFB and probably the Target Distribution Center and Amazon. To the south is Sauharita off of I-19, the direct route to Nogales. Distances are in KM on I-19. There is the Catalina Foothills which are to the north and in the foothills of the Catalina mountains. If you work in the NW, there are a lot of areas up there and then there is Marana which is to the NW of Tucson on I-10. I-10 curves around Tucson from south to west. It is pretty spread out so really it all depends on where you work and how far you are willing to commute.
Defense contractor.. pretty sure it's by the airport.

Id stay in lauderdale if I was given a choice. No state income tax and its awesome. Lauderdale is great and you are so close to miami and palm beach as well

Tucson is decidedly less fun

Id stay in lauderdale if I was given a choice. No state income tax and its awesome. Lauderdale is great and you are so close to miami and palm beach as well

Tucson is decidedly less fun
Yeah, but also far more expensive and the pay sucks.

If I'm offered this, and I'm right about my guesstimate of salary.. would be a nice bump, and cheaper rent.

Yeah, but also far more expensive and the pay sucks.

If I'm offered this, and I'm right about my guesstimate of salary.. would be a nice bump, and cheaper rent.
If you and your family like nature and exploring outdoors, then Arizona and the southwest is like a new world. Besides the Grand Canyon, you have a whole bunch of national and state parks within a days drive. The same is true of Native American communities and archeological sites. If you like star gazing, just out side of Sedona Arizona is one of the darkest places on Earth where you can see the milky way to it's fullest. One of the largest meteor craters is near Prescott Arizona.

There's plenty of things to do indoors as well. The best Mexican food I've ever had was at a restaurant in Tucson. A lot of people from around the country hibernate in Tucson for the winter, so it has a surprising amount of diversity of urban offerings. It also has University of Arizona which offers all of the science, engineering, and arts events that comes with a major university.

Oh, and you'll never have to evacuate for a hurricane. Every place has it's upside and downside. Whether or not you and your family would enjoy Tucson depends on what you all like and want.

If you and your family like nature and exploring outdoors, then Arizona and the southwest is like a new world. Besides the Grand Canyon, you have a whole bunch of national and state parks within a days drive. The same is true of Native American communities and archeological sites. If you like star gazing, just out side of Sedona Arizona is one of the darkest places on Earth where you can see the milky way to it's fullest. One of the largest meteor craters is near Prescott Arizona.

Sedona is really nice. We spent a Christmas/New Year's there. Played some great golf, and got a weird snow fall just as we were leaving. There were deer everywhere.

Whelp..... looks like this was a big waste of time.

I've been dying to put this on other social media, but I really don't want to tip my hand, since a few coworkers are my friends or connections there.

I've been completely ghosted by this company. I can't believe it. It is so damn unprofessional. 5 weeks?

I'm very qualified for the job. It's a similar role to what I had when living in New Orleans.

I had a very good zoom interview. I thought I established good rapport and clearly had a handle on what the role was, and how to thrive in it. 2 days later, the HR rep even called me up to say how well I did. I was their first interview and they had a few others to get through, should hear in a week or two. Of course, the hiring manager made it sound more like 2-3. While speaking with the HR rep, I had mentioned some follow up questions I wanted to ask to better consider the role from my side that I'd send in an e-mail. Nothing crazy. Things like, how's the area, commute, company culture, clarifying deliverables typically expected.

No reply.

3 weeks, I follow up just asking if any decisions made. No reply.

I realized I had the hiring manager's e-mail, along with a few others. I wanted a couple more weeks and e-mailed them. No reply.

Other than being put in a black box of resumes when you first apply (and never hear back), I haven't been Ghosted by a company since one of my very first interviews after College. I look on the web portal, it still shows that I've been selected for an interview. No updates.

This isn't some small company either, this is a major Defense/Space Contractor.

Maybe I've just been spoiled. Every job I've had offered, came within about 3 days, or less, of being interviewed. But if they're still looking, or something is delaying the process, then update me. A simple, "sorry, this is taking a bit longer than expected, due to COVID" would have shut me up.

Ok, /rant

I've been dying to put this on other social media, but I really don't want to tip my hand, since a few coworkers are my friends or connections there.

I've been completely ghosted by this company. I can't believe it. It is so damn unprofessional. 5 weeks?

I'm very qualified for the job. It's a similar role to what I had when living in New Orleans.

I had a very good zoom interview. I thought I established good rapport and clearly had a handle on what the role was, and how to thrive in it. 2 days later, the HR rep even called me up to say how well I did. I was their first interview and they had a few others to get through, should hear in a week or two. Of course, the hiring manager made it sound more like 2-3. While speaking with the HR rep, I had mentioned some follow up questions I wanted to ask to better consider the role from my side that I'd send in an e-mail. Nothing crazy. Things like, how's the area, commute, company culture, clarifying deliverables typically expected.

No reply.

I realized I had the hiring manager's e-mail, along with a few others. I wanted a couple more weeks and e-mailed them. No reply.

Other than being put in a black box of resumes when you first apply (and never hear back), I haven't been Ghosted by a company since one of my very first interviews after College. I look on the web portal, it still shows that I've been selected for an interview. No updates.

Maybe I've just been spoiled. Every job I've had offered, came within about 3 days, or less, of being interviewed. But if they're still looking, or something is delaying the process, then update me. A simple, "sorry, this is taking a bit longer than expected, due to COVID" would have shut me up.

Ok, /rant
Man, that sucks. That has got to be incredibly frustrating. Can you share the company name?

No reply.

Ok, /rant

I've been ghosted like this before. It's one of the most frustrating aspects of a job hunt. Especially in government employment and contracting. It does happen sometimes that a position can remain listed but it's actually frozen or a hire is made but the status is never updated. But the worst part is the radio silence. I email and/or call and never get a response. No notification or updates. Several times, I have been notified of a position either being filled or withdrawn 6-12 months after the interview.

It's incredibly rude and frustrating. But it comes with the territory now.

I’ve been interviewing a lot over the last 2 or 3 months.. lots of phone interviews, some Zoom interviews, and even a couple of in-person interviews, where we introduced ourselves with elbow taps and wore masks throughout the conversation - though I’m very pro-mask, i dont think I’ll ever get used to that... In any case, nothing has come through for me yet, even though I’ve made it pretty far in the interview process with a handful of companies.. theyve been fairly good with communication in most cases; one company implemented a hiring freeze, and another offered the job to an internal candidate.. And though no one has come out and said it, i get the distinct impression that , as Guido mentioned, a lot of these companies are holding out til January or February to see if we have peace and stability in the country... but wow, i’m kinda surprised that a company ghosted you Ward when you were beyond the initial application phase.. as others have said, i too have been ghosted by companies, but not if I’ve made it beyond , say, the first interview.. It takes almost no effort to reply with a ‘Sorry, we’ve gone in a different direction’, versus the negative Word of mouth they would engender if you mention the name of the company here and on social media, where hundreds of people could see how unprofessional they are.

I’ve been interviewing a lot over the last 2 or 3 months.. lots of phone interviews, some Zoom interviews, and even a couple of in-person interviews, where we introduced ourselves with elbow taps and wore masks throughout the conversation - though I’m very pro-mask, i dont think I’ll ever get used to that... In any case, nothing has come through for me yet, even though I’ve made it pretty far in the interview process with a handful of companies.. theyve been fairly good with communication in most cases; one company implemented a hiring freeze, and another offered the job to an internal candidate.. And though no one has come out and said it, i get the distinct impression that , as Guido mentioned, a lot of these companies are holding out til January or February to see if we have peace and stability in the country... but wow, i’m kinda surprised that a company ghosted you Ward when you were beyond the initial application phase.. as others have said, i too have been ghosted by companies, but not if I’ve made it beyond , say, the first interview.. It takes almost no effort to reply with a ‘Sorry, we’ve gone in a different direction’, versus the negative Word of mouth they would engender if you mention the name of the company here and on social media, where hundreds of people could see how unprofessional they are.

I've been ghosted twice after the second interview. Which is crazy since I got my current job offer the day after my first interview. Didn't need a second, lol. Idk how a company can give 2 interviews and not hire, let alone ghosting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom