Tuesday Film Study: New Orleans Saints' defense had Bills seeing triple (1 Viewer)

SaintlyAgenda

Cam Jordan Fan Club
Reaction score
The Saints defense was fairly vanilla in their first two games, choosing to operate out of their base 4-3 front most of the time while operating with the luxury of big early leads.

But defensive coordinator Gregg Williams opened up the playbook on his old team, the Buffalo Bills, in Week 3. This was the defense we'd seen in minicamps and OTS throughout the offseason.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/09/post_9.html

Been waiting for this one. :9: Answers all questions you might have had.

It's an unbelievable read and a super in depth analysis of the entire game. I'll be looking for this every week from now on!

From the article: "The Saints closed the game by running three snaps out of their victory formation, with a safety playing deep back"

This is the first I've heard of this "victory formation" and I didn't notice it on Sunday. Who is the safety they put back deep?

From the article: "The Saints closed the game by running three snaps out of their victory formation, with a safety playing deep back"

This is the first I've heard of this "victory formation" and I didn't notice it on Sunday. Who is the safety they put back deep?

I saw it but thought it was a RB. I'll look real quick and let you know who it was. BRB!

NIX NICKS: FOX sideline mics picked up Jon Goodwin admonishing Carl Nicks for celebrating and yelling at the Buffalo crowD at the end of Thomas' 34-yard touchdown run. Goodwin can be heard screaming at Nicks as he exhorted to the crowd, "Hey, what did I tell you?! (Inaudible) in front of these cameras. What are you doing? Where's your head?!"

Gotta love this...

All you can see is the #4 so it's either Harper or Sharper. If I had to take a guess though, I'm 95% sure it's Darren Sharper by the body build.

Wow, 60% (37 out of 61 snaps) blitzes! Roughly what I thought while watching without actually keeping track. That's bringing some pressure! Great strategy against the Bills that worked. Nice job, D.

Jeff Duncan said:
The Saints blitzed at least one extra defender on 37 downs. They sent defensive backs on 21 downs. Their favorite blitz was a package that sent safety Roman Harper and the nickel back from the slot, most often Randall Gay, from the quarterback's back side. They sent this tandem at the QB 12 times. They also employed a cornerback fire, sending both cornerbacks into the backfield six times. They also sent outside linebackers Scott Shanle and Scott Fujita on blitzes eight times. They blitzed three linebackers on three snaps.

Dang!! Wow!! 37 times!! Does anyone know the breakdown as far as the exact it had on the offense? Like as a result of 37 blitzes, we had 2 knockdowns, 5 Hurries, 4 sacks etc..

Thanks for clarifying.........how do you know?

I was about to say that i just rewatched the game a few minutes ago and noticed that very thing. I originally thought it was harper, but it could be sharper. Your right, you really can't tell. From the way he was bouncing back and that i think i see a dark visor... I don't know. I still think it's Harper.

Umm, hello, they mean when you kneel the ball on offense at the end of the game, with a running back deep as a safety to not become a Pisarcik moment. We "ran" the snaps as offense. No worries, though, we all get thrown off at times :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom