Tuesday Morning QB (1 Viewer)

Complex Kid

Most things I worry about Never happen anyway
Reaction score
Didn't see this anywhere else. This is from Page 2 on ESPN:

Adventures in Officiating: Facing second-and-goal on the Pittsburgh 4, the Saints appeared to execute a bouncing direct-snap to tailback Deuce McAllister, who ran for the touchdown. Announcers debated whether it was a trick play or a botched snap. It was the latter, and the official Game Book lists the play as a fumble by center Jeff Faine. Overlooked -- there should have been a penalty! Direct-snapping to a running back is legal only if the quarterback never places his hands under center; once someone places his hands under center, only that person can receive the snap. Drew Brees was under center when this happened. Rule 7-3-4 states, "Any extension of hands by a player under center as if to receive the snap is a false start unless, while under center, he receives the snap."

but it was a fumble, thus negating the rule.

I'm not so sure it negates the rule. it's kinda like when a player goes out of bounds, he is not allowed to be the next person to touch the ball. A fumble would not negate that. Someone else would need to touch the ball before that player, he could then recover it.

Just a guess.

mbg

But what if the ball bounced off Brees on way to Deuce? Meets rule, but center gets credit for fumble because Brees never got control. Maybe even Saints know they are streching rule a bir for trick play, which is why all have to claim was fumble (even though it looked partially designed).

Adventures in Officiating: Facing second-and-goal on the Pittsburgh 4, the Saints appeared to execute a bouncing direct-snap to tailback Deuce McAllister, who ran for the touchdown. Announcers debated whether it was a trick play or a botched snap. It was the latter, and the official Game Book lists the play as a fumble by center Jeff Faine. Overlooked -- there should have been a penalty! Direct-snapping to a running back is legal only if the quarterback never places his hands under center; once someone places his hands under center, only that person can receive the snap. Drew Brees was under center when this happened. Rule 7-3-4 states, "Any extension of hands by a player under center as if to receive the snap is a false start unless, while under center, he receives the snap."

I'll have to look at it again, but it could be a legal play if the ball hit drew on the way out. I agree that it was probably a bad snap on an intentional play. In fact Faine said to the sideline reporter during the broadcast that the ball got hung up in the turf.....considering the velocity, it was coming out like a deep snap.
And if it was, I would not correct the assumption that it was a muffed play if I were payton. Let em think it was a recovered fumble, you have a play in the book that no one has seen even though you have used it.

Last edited:
definitely a fumble, crazy play, big time heads up by teh Deuce

Hmmm... seems like quartbacks routinely go under center and then back out and audible when the defense shows blitz.

All I have to say is, it's about time a call goes our way, i'm a true saints fan and I remember fondly some interesting calls from a year ago. Fumble or not who cares six(6) points our way BABY!!!

Good call - very interesting play when I saw it happen. I guess we'll have to forfeit that game.

Interesting rule, but I've seen QB's come out from under center to change the play too many times to count. I wonder if its just never called or if the interpretation gives leeway to QB's for adjustments.

Deuce admitted in an interview after the game that the play was supposed to be a pass play. It was a botched snap that the Saints got verrrry lucky on. Finally a break for the ole Saints. Unbelievable reaction by Deuce to pick it up and run it into the end zone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom