Turning Point - Benson Fiasco (1 Viewer)

Anthony

I've got a Halloweenhead.
Reaction score
I am doing a paper for a PR class on the Saints in the wake of hurricane Katrina, the PR screwups that the organization sustained, and the rebounding from those PR blunders and the marketing buildup to 9-25.

So I'd like to get a general consensus of when the whole situation of Fielkow being fired and Benson claiming that he was nearly killed in Baton Rouge and that the Practice Facility was trashed in Hurricane Katrina as the reporter broke into the facility and filmed a spotless facility. (Which reporter was that again?)

For me, I think it would have been the drafting of Reggie Bush. It proved he was willing to spend money, make the team better, and the exitement of having Reggie kept our minds off of those other times.

Any other input? It's greatly appreciated.

I am doing a paper for a PR class on the Saints in the wake of hurricane Katrina, the PR screwups that the organization sustained, and the rebounding from those PR blunders and the marketing buildup to 9-25.

So I'd like to get a general consensus of when the whole situation of Fielkow being fired and Benson claiming that he was nearly killed in Baton Rouge and that the Practice Facility was trashed in Hurricane Katrina as the reporter broke into the facility and filmed a spotless facility. (Which reporter was that again?)

For me, I think it would have been the drafting of Reggie Bush. It proved he was willing to spend money, make the team better, and the exitement of having Reggie kept our minds off of those other times.

Any other input? It's greatly appreciated.

The reporter was Lee Zurik of WWL-TV.

I agree that the turning point was when the Saints drafted Reggie. You heard a positive buzz around the hiring of Payton and the signing of Brees, but nothing topped Reggie's arrival.

I thought the turning point for the franchise was when Tagliabue basically forced Benson to go back to New Orleans. Benson was intent on keeping the Saints in San Antonio and he burned a lot of bridges with the fanbase along the way. So when he was told he had to come back to New Orleans he knew the only way to get that fanbase back was to show he was willing to do what it takes to make this franchise a winner.

It wasn't too long after that the changes started coming with the firing of Haslett and then a little later letting go of Brooks which were two things the fans have been wanting to happen for years. Even if we didn't get Bush I still think the season would have been a sellout just because of the changes that were made plus the rebuilt Superdome and the fact that the Saints were finally coming home.

Benson was riding the fiasco untill the rest of the NFL got involved. Basically I get the impression that he had a closed door dressing down by the Commish and his fellow owners and was told in no uncertain terms that the team was returning to New Orleans ASAP and that Benson better keep his mouth shut. In return, the team got a few goodies thrown their way, not the least of which a hugh Monday night reopening party, which if ESPN wouldn't have wanted for whatever reason, the NFL probably would have told them tough, and a a friendly 'home/away,' schedule, and still unknown econiomic aid to the team (i.e. Benson.)

Benson was riding the fiasco untill the rest of the NFL got involved. Basically I get the impression that he had a closed door dressing down by the Commish and his fellow owners and was told in no uncertain terms that the team was returning to New Orleans ASAP and that Benson better keep his mouth shut. In return, the team got a few goodies thrown their way, not the least of which a hugh Monday night reopening party, which if ESPN wouldn't have wanted for whatever reason, the NFL probably would have told them tough, and a a friendly 'home/away,' schedule, and still unknown econiomic aid to the team (i.e. Benson.)

i completely agree, that something like this happened.

I thought the turning point for the franchise was when Tagliabue basically forced Benson to go back to New Orleans. Benson was intent on keeping the Saints in San Antonio and he burned a lot of bridges with the fanbase along the way. So when he was told he had to come back to New Orleans he knew the only way to get that fanbase back was to show he was willing to do what it takes to make this franchise a winner.

It wasn't too long after that the changes started coming with the firing of Haslett and then a little later letting go of Brooks which were two things the fans have been wanting to happen for years. Even if we didn't get Bush I still think the season would have been a sellout just because of the changes that were made plus the rebuilt Superdome and the fact that the Saints were finally coming home.

I agree with this observation. Sure, drafting AND signing Bush was a major plus, but keeping the Saints in N.O. was the begining of the "change". Firing Haslett and letting go of Brooks were promising IMO. I was hesitant about Payton just because I didn't know enough about him. Then, getting Brees was a darn good pickup. The only thing I don't agree with this post is that I don't think the Saints would have sold out the Dome without the Bush pick. Would have been close, but I don't think we would have sold out the season.

Last edited:
Let's not kid ourselves, the turning point was Tagliabu - when he made the commitment to New Orleans, he forced Benson to fall in line.

The NFL has been loyal to New Orleans.

I agree it was when Tag got involved, but to play devil's advocate all he may have done is reassure Benson that the NFL would take care of the saints, and that san antonio wasnt an option - honestly if the money was there i dont think Benson would want to leave NO. , but i think with the issues brought to the city by Katrina and with support of the NFL and possibly Rita Benson's input ( i say her input because i could see the rebuilding the community aspect to be appealing to younger execs and owners (and not being something the older owners would see in the same light as younger ones)) being part of the rebuilding was the best way to change the "reputation" and the "benefit to community" of the Saints both pre and post Benson (which i think it has in regards to what a team can do for a city\community) i think that has happened regardless of our record

the firing of Haz and signing of Brees is what made the biggest change on the feild - granted Bush sells seats but how many seats would sell with Haz and AB still with the team) Bush sold seats as well but more importantly His coming to new orleans along with his promotional plan that all his sponsors had to contribute brought the media before camp even started.

cant forget Blanco and Tag for the superdome project, that was also huge

i really ponder, if all that stuff was a smokescreen by Benson though..
think about it, he initially bought the team to keep them in N.O. period.
he's turned down big money to sell them.
granted he's playing the smokescreen to get the state to put their money behind it to so he can make more money off it. But bottom line, was he really intending on moving them?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom