Turnovers broken down by game... (1 Viewer)

Saint James

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So I decided to breakdown the turnovers during our games...and this is what I found:

@ Cleveland, W 19 - 14 : +1, 2 for us, 3 for them

@ Greenbay, W 34 - 27 : - 1, 3 for us, 2 for them.

vs. Atlanta, W, 22 - 3: Even

@ Carolina, L, 18 - 21: -1, 1 for us.

vs. Tampa Bay, W, 24 - 21 : +1, 1 for them.

vs. Philadelphia, W, 27 - 24: Even, 2 for each team.

vs. Baltimore, L, 22 - 35: -4, 5 for us, 1 for them. OUCH.

@ Tampa Bay, W, 31 - 14: +1, 1 for them.

@ Pittsburg, L, 31 - 38: -3, 3 for us. OUCH again.

So we're 6 - 3. In our 3 losses we're a combined -8. In our 6 wins, we're + 2.

Every game we've lost, we've lost the turnover battle. It hasn't been the QB either. Its been a terrible amount of fumbles. Sure Brees has 7 INTs (3 against the Ravens) on the season, but in 9 games, that's not half bad. On top of that, our defense just isn't coming up with turnovers. If we can fix either one of those problems...we should have no problem winning. We're able to move the ball on absolutely anyone, including the Ravens.

That's a simple formula that wins games. We don't catch those INT's and it doesn't seem as if we are trying to strip the ball too much either. I can live with the no strippin part as long as we keep tackling though. Brees' 7 INT's are still tops in the league.

Thanks for putting that together. I dont know if we have a better shot at forcing more or fumbling less.

Thanks for putting that together. I dont know if we have a better shot at forcing more or fumbling less.

I would think holding on to the football(concentration) would be the easiest. I know there have been several picks dropped that were right in the players hands.

That Copper fumble will stay with me for a while. The Billy Miller one, IMO, wasn't a catch in the first place.

What's the evaluation of the way Reg has fumbled? Were they rookie type mistakes? Were they just good strips or hits?

I hope the coaching staff has them doing extra practice on holding on to the ball. Maybe they should talk to Tiki Barber :)

It could have been worse against the Steelers. If Foote catches that pass from Brees, he probably returns it for a TD and then it's 21-0, Steelers. A loss is a loss, but I'm still glad he dropped it.

Some of the fumbles have been good defensive hits (helmet to the ball), others have just been a lack of ball security. I have a good feeling about this Cincy game though, and I had a bad one about the Steelers game.

As a side note to the excellent compilation listed above, here are some striking turnover stats:

Giveaways: Saints 16, Chicago 20

In turnover differential, the Saints are dead last in the NFC at -6. Last in our conference in the turnover battle, last, but Chicago, Arizona, and Detroit are tied for last in total giveaways.

So, I guess this begs the question, what is a better measuring stick, total giveaways or differential. Well, they really measure two different things, giveaways - offense, differential - offense and defense. A team can make up for a generous offense by being greedy on defense, Chicago has taken it away 27 times.

I would be happy with minimizing the TO's, which we have done in most games this season, and I suspect the coaches and players will continue to focus on it from here on out.

One thing more, we have committed half of the turn overs to two AFC teams with good defenses, Ravens 5 and Steelers 3. Cincy does not have as good a defense as these two teams. So I'm willing to concede the terrible turn over battle to the AFC, because after we play Cincy it's all NFC. After Sunday, we have until February to sort out this AFC problem.

There I feel better about the turn overs, don't you?

Cheers

WE lost to two strong teams and have given the ball up way too much!

I like our chances against Cincy and I'll spot the points!!!!

Hot Boudin Cold Coushe coushe,(sp?)

Come on team !! Puch !Push Push!!!!

That's an oldie but goodie I remember from the Cajun Days!

Lovingly,

Dr. D!

I can't believe I've posted over 2700 X's!

Then there are folks who make THAT total look absolutely foolish!

WOW !

What a SITE!

One From the Heart!

Doc Daddy!

That's a simple formula that wins games. We don't catch those INT's and it doesn't seem as if we are trying to strip the ball too much either. I can live with the no strippin part as long as we keep tackling though. Brees' 7 INT's are still tops in the league.

How many of those interceptions were really his fault. Most of them were off tips by wide receivers.

I think out of the 7 ints only 2 where drews fault. his been the biggest pick up in years.

Turnovers loose games for you. And that has been proven correct in our case. I expect alot less fumbles in coming games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom