TV Mounting Height Question (1 Viewer)

Danleco

Travelin' Again
Reaction score
Hey folks - the wife and I are tossing around an idea to mount our large 65" TV over our fireplace mantle. Unfortunately, the mantle is 60" off the ground, and mounting the TV above that would put it all quite high. Midpoint of the unit would be around 80" over the ground, if not higher.

We sit 8-10ft away from the TV. I can angle it down to help with the height, but I'm unsure if this is a good idea. Online help documents & videos don't recommend this, but I've seen photos of other installs that have done this.

Anyone else have their primary TV mounted this high? I'd appreciate any opinions on this.

i was just at a friend's house and he had his TV up to the ceiling...i did not like it at all

it was a little awkward to watch like that

My TV is about that, but I have 10' ceilings. It's still comfortable. Can you sit/hold it on the mantle while someone sits down?

At that distance it’s doable but if circumstances ever put you closer it’s awkward as hell. My moms is about that. I personally don’t like it but the distance away is what will determine how uncomfortable it will be. It doesn’t take too much crank to make the neck really hurt when you consider how long viewing times can be.

Hey folks - the wife and I are tossing around an idea to mount our large 65" TV over our fireplace mantle. Unfortunately, the mantle is 60" off the ground, and mounting the TV above that would put it all quite high. Midpoint of the unit would be around 80" over the ground, if not higher.

We sit 8-10ft away from the TV. I can angle it down to help with the height, but I'm unsure if this is a good idea. Online help documents & videos don't recommend this, but I've seen photos of other installs that have done this.

Anyone else have their primary TV mounted this high? I'd appreciate any opinions on this.
We have ours in the same place (didn't have any other practical options with the room layout and a small child around), but it's not quite as high. Midpoint is about 70" off the ground. We sit 8ft away, and it's fine angled down.

But 10" higher and the same distance away could make a difference. If you're 8ft away with an eye level 4ft off the ground looking at a TV with a midpoint 70" high, you're looking up at an angle of around 12 degrees to the midpoint. If it's 80" high, that's 18 degrees. Not a vast difference, but it could be the difference between comfortable and not.

Thanks. That's helpful. I've thought about the swing down bracket, but with a mounted soundbar that won't work.

We'll still redesigning what the whole living room will look like. If we can leave it where it is, we may. Depends on the new furniture the wife picks out.

We have ours in the same place (didn't have any other practical options with the room layout and a small child around), but it's not quite as high. Midpoint is about 70" off the ground. We sit 8ft away, and it's fine angled down.

But 10" higher and the same distance away could make a difference. If you're 8ft away with an eye level 4ft off the ground looking at a TV with a midpoint 70" high, you're looking up at an angle of around 12 degrees to the midpoint. If it's 80" high, that's 18 degrees. Not a vast difference, but it could be the difference between comfortable and not.

My sister's is above her fireplace. I don't know the exact height, but it's pretty high. It was weird for the first few minutes the first time I went there (it's a new house), but I don't even notice anymore. That being said, I generally only watch football there.

yep and my wife HATES it. LOL

I have it angled down about 15 degrees so as to not be a real issue and i dont have problem. Our sectional is deep seating so you kinda lounge back anyway. It was a bit awkward at first, but i got used to it pretty quick.

We also have 12 ft ceilings and my viewing is from about 10 ft away.

Thanks. That's helpful. I've thought about the swing down bracket, but with a mounted soundbar that won't work.

We'll still redesigning what the whole living room will look like. If we can leave it where it is, we may. Depends on the new furniture the wife picks out.

They make brackets that can still use a sound bar.
I redneck engineered mine to work that way.

forget how high i built my mantle. but i put the bottom of the tv about 5-6" higher. i like it. bottom of tv is probably around 66-68" or so if i were to guess. best way to have a tv is mounted IMO.

set it where u think, if its too high then lower it, too low raise it. holes probably wont be visible after, even if they are, little spackle/sand/paint. easy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom