TV Shows you've given up on (1 Viewer)

M
I don't think the issue people had with that was plausibility. It that it was a cheap stunt pulled to manipulate the emotions of the audience. And, it wasn't the first time they had done that sort of thing. I didn't give up on it because of the Glen dumpster fake out, but I can see why others would. I don't remember the exact moment I gave up on TWD. I just remember one night going to my DVR to watch a new episode, and realizing I had zero interest. A show that was once appointment viewing for me had become a chore to watch. It turned into a slow moving mess, building towards payoffs that completely fizzled.

I gave up on The Simpson's maybe ten years or so ago when I realized the show hadn't made me laugh in at least 5 years.

Yeah, I involuntarily gave up on the Simpsons a long time ago - it was really just timing.
One of my all time favorite scenes: when Homer’s silhouette was displayed by the lighthouse:

Bart: “Hey look, is that dad?”
Lisa: “Either that or Batman’s really let himself go.”

:hihi:

So many shows on F/X not named The Shield, Sons of Anarchy or Nip/Tuck. Those are the gems.

But Tyrant, The bastage Executioner, Mayans - I thought they'd be more than worthy successors but I guess I was spoiled and they couldn't live up to the hype I had built in my head for F/X original programming.

I still debate giving them a second chance.

The Walking Dead. They did Carl wrong. Plus, I couldn't take how they kept following Rick after he kept screwing up over and over again.

So many shows on F/X not named The Shield, Sons of Anarchy or Nip/Tuck. Those are the gems.

But Tyrant, The bastage Executioner, Mayans - I thought they'd be more than worthy successors but I guess I was spoiled and they couldn't live up to the hype I had built in my head for F/X original programming.

I still debate giving them a second chance.
Their is a show coming on relatively soon, a sort of sci-fi, post-apocalytpic, dystopian sort of TV series called Y:The Last Man on F/X. It's essentially a very serious, dark socio-political commentary about a worldwide Stand-like pandemic that kills all of the world's male population and only women are left behind and in charge. It has an unique, interesting premise because it touches on feminism but also racial, class and political issues, and distinctions between women themselves and how it affects now different ruling various factions.
Think of this show as sort of like the Handmaid's Tale meets The Stand but with no men to be a slavish, subservient species ruled over by an oppressive, autocratic matriarchal regime/government and there's no supernatural intervention.

Last edited:
It was in a winter finale, so people had months to speculate whether or not he was really dead. Again, cheap stunt.
I binged it but I also didn't view it as a cheap stunt. I'm not saying that it was wrong but that I never viewed it in that fashion.

I binged it but I also didn't view it as a cheap stunt. I'm not saying that it was wrong but that I never viewed it in that fashion.

If I remember correctly it was cheap fakeout because
at the time it aired the comic was still running and as popular as it ever was so people knew Negan was coming and that he killed Glenn. So they made it seem like Glenn was going to die there to throw people off Negan killing him. Then he pops back up just in time for Negan to kill him anyway after faking us out again with the Abraham kill. Negan killed just Glenn in the comic.
They jerked the audience around for no reason through a midseason and a season finale break.

Parks and Rec.

I couldn't get past a few episodes of Season 1. The "pit" just wore me out. I was told to skip to Season 2. I was told this over a year ago and I still haven't gone back to it.

Similar show: I absolutely hated The Office (US) when I'd seen a few random episodes on Comedy Central. Then I sat down and watched most of the series and really liked it. The more I watched it though the more I found myself just hating it again. Now I'm back to where I can't stand it at all.

The Office is just terribly played out. It doesn't deserve to be (what seems to be) the only show on Comedy Central. I'd rather watch Parks and Rec, to be honest. Early Michael Scott is one of the most annoying characters on TV.

The world would be boring if everyone were the same, but I'd push you to give Parks and Recs more time - it's one of my favorite shows.

As far as the question, I can't really think of any. I tend to stick with shows, even if I go from "turn off everything and watch on time every week" to "subscribe to the service and binge it all at once", I'll usually finish up. I almost dropped Agents of SHIELD, but I'm glad I didn't.

The Office hate is hurting my soul. I won't try and defend it because I knew from the get-go it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but to see it spelled out in writing - presumably by someone other than a UK version loving Brit - I am wounded.

How can y'all not love Michael and Dwight accidentally dropping a watermelon from the roof onto Stanley's car and worrying that it could be seen as a hate crime?

Or that wad of birthday money he saved up and used to throw Toby's goodbye party because he hated him so much?

Or Michael repeatedly listening to the iTunes sample of Goodbye My Lover instead of buying the whole song?

How. I just want to know how.

Arrow. I like it for about 4 seasons (I think), but it kept getting dumber and more like the bad DC comic I remember from my childhood (DC comics were all stupid with cardboard stereotype heroes and villains in the 70s/80s). It started out with a really interesting, flawed main character (even though the actor wasn't very good), but as seasons went on, everyone on it became more and more one dimensional and uninteresting. I'd had enough by the end of the season where Rhas al-Ghoul turned up and tried to make Arrow his heir apparent.

Doctor Who. I loved Tom Baker as a kid. My co-favourite show along with Monty Python's Flying Circus. But I loved the new version, especially David Tennant but also the Amy Ponds/River Song storyline, until the insufferable Stephen Moffat took over as story runner and drove the show into the ground. He tried to make the Doctor an idiot and his side-kick some kind of miraculous genius (I hated Clara with all my being). Matt Smith apparently understood where Moffat was going and wisely resigned from playing the Doctor, leaving Capaldi the thankless job of playing sidekick to Clara. However, the show got even worse after "impossible girl" Clara left, which I found truly shocking. I don't blame Capaldi, he didn't write the scripts; I blame Moffat entirely. I only watched one episode of the female Doctor. The show had become unwatchable well before her, but I figured I would give it a chance since Moffat was no longer in charge, but it was just as terrible. She played the Doctor with no personality and the plot was excruciatingly bad. The BBC really screwed the pooch big time.

Sherlock. Ruined by none other than, you guessed it, Stephen Moffat. The first three seasons were great. Then, in steps Moffat, who makes the same mistake he did with Doctor Who. He decided the smartest man in the room isn't the smartest man in the room anymore. The writing in the season he ran was completely dreadful. Holmes made mistakes that Holmes doesn't make - and some of his missed observations were so obvious anyone could see them just watching the show. Utterly unbelievable for Sherlock Homes, the master of observation. Moffat is a pestilence that needs to be exterminated from the BBC.

The Office hate is hurting my soul. I won't try and defend it because I knew from the get-go it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but to see it spelled out in writing - presumably by someone other than a UK version loving Brit - I am wounded.

How can y'all not love Michael and Dwight accidentally dropping a watermelon from the roof onto Stanley's car and worrying that it could be seen as a hate crime?

Or that wad of birthday money he saved up and used to throw Toby's goodbye party because he hated him so much?

Or Michael repeatedly listening to the iTunes sample of Goodbye My Lover instead of buying the whole song?

How. I just want to know how.

Because it's all stupid. I don't find stupid people funny. I have to deal with them every day. Stupid people are annoying, not amusing. The Office is a show where a bunch of idiots are being stupid. It's simply not funny, it's just annoying.

Because it's all stupid. I don't find stupid people funny. I have to deal with them every day. Stupid people are annoying, not amusing. The Office is a show where a bunch of idiots are being stupid. It's simply not funny, it's just annoying.
Just keep on twisting the knife 😩

From your perspective, binging it, I understand why you wouldn't see it as a cheap stunt, but for those who watched it live, then had to wait months for a resolution, that's exactly what it was.

And, my thoughts on Parks and Rec is that it is worth those first two rough seasons. I tried to watch when it aired it's first season and gave up on it. A few years later, I rediscovered it in syndication. It gets so much better once Rob Lowe and Adam Scott join the cast at the end of season two.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom