TV via Battery? (2 Viewers)

Consigliere

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
To the tech experts: Is there some sort of rechargeable battery I can buy so we can take a TV far into the backyard? It would still get a signal but we need it to get power too.

Thanks!

If that wouldn't work, I'd think a small generator would be cheaper than any sort of viable battery solution.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

How about an extension cord?

Thanks, but we would prefer to avoid that "you might be a redneck" look. Plus we want to enjoy nature the way it was intended to be - just grass, trees, and a HDTV.

Just read about "power inverters" - would that work?

Thanks, but we would prefer to avoid that "you might be a redneck" look. Plus we want to enjoy nature the way it was intended to be - just grass, trees, and a HDTV.

Just read about "power inverters" - would that work?
You still need a source of power. An inverter typically connects to your car cigarette lighter type plug. Or you can get one with clips and use a marine battery, which won't be cheap in itself. This is provided you have an led screen on your tv, which doesn't use that much power.

Or you could just buy a $150 generator. ;)

Tablet or laptop with a usb receiver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a reason you can't run power to the location? If the distance is within extension cord range then some conduit, romex, and a GFCI outlet would be cheap and easy to install.

Thanks, that is probably how we will need to go. Does DirecTV have a thing for that?

I was thinking you wanted over the air/antenna.

If you have wifi out there you may be able to use a Directv streaming service for that purpose instead of the satellite box.

I was thinking you wanted over the air/antenna.

If you have wifi out there you may be able to use a Directv streaming service for that purpose instead of the satellite box.

The Genie boxes are available in wifi too.

You still need a source of power. An inverter typically connects to your car cigarette lighter type plug. Or you can get one with clips and use a marine battery, which won't be cheap in itself. This is provided you have an led screen on your tv, which doesn't use that much power.

Or you could just buy a $150 generator. ;)

harbor freight has one a generator for $80, and it is fairly quiet. it's only a 900 watt, but that should be plenty for a tv.. 2 cycle engine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If you have an old working car battery (charge it up with a charger if ya got one), you can get one of those car cigarette lighter sockets from autozone, cut the wires and splice yourself in some alligator clips if the inverter doesnt already have them attached. Hook em up to the battery, plug in your power inverter and plug the TV up.

We used to do that with our portable lights at work, Not sure how long it would last with a TV plugged up, but like Brennan said, an LED may not use much juice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom