Twelve men challenge (1 Viewer)

Moses

Drawn from the water.
Reaction score
How were the Pats able to challenge the twelve men on the field penalty not being called. I did not think that was a thing that could be challenged. It would be like challenging a hold that was not called or a face mask. I can see where you could challenge it if you were called for the penalty and challenging the fact that your player got off in time, but no way can you do what they did in the Super Bowl.

You can do it. Payton did it this year.

It is not a judgement call.

Not entirely sure, but until I see a rule book i'm chalkin this up as "challangegate" bunch of dirty cheaters!!!

I questioned it as well. Apparently, it's legal to challenge that. There is an explanation on the rumor page of profootballtalk.com that was recently posted.

Former Redskin coach Joe Gibbs did it earlier this year, it was either a Sunday Night or Monday night game where he did it.

Well can you challenge something like the lack of a penalty for not enough men on the line. Even mayby you call challenge a false start that was not called. It may be right but it just seems wrong.

Well can you challenge something like the lack of a penalty for not enough men on the line. Even mayby you call challenge a false start that was not called. It may be right but it just seems wrong.

Consider the source, but that seems correct.
The NFL replay system currently only covers the following situations:

Scoring plays (except field goals)
Pass complete/incomplete/intercepted
Runner/receiver out of bounds
Recovery of a loose ball in or out of bounds
Touching of a forward pass, either by an ineligible receiver or a defensive player
Quarterback pass or fumble
Illegal forward pass
Forward or backward pass
Runner ruled not down by contact
Forward progress in regard to a first down
Touching of a kick
Other plays involving placement of the football
Whether a legal number of players are on the field at the time of the snap
Source: wikipedia

If there are 12 players from one team on the field, when the ball is snapped, then you can challenge that. This is common sense. :rolleyes:

the colts have it down to a science, peyton's always catching OTs with 12, and sometimes it doesn't get called.. dungy has challenged a few i believe

I'm far from a Belicheck fan, but I'll give coach credit for catching that one. It might be considered a "cheap" call, since the player didn't affect the play at all, but it's a rule. We'd be singing Payton's praises if he got a first down by challenging something like that.

I hardly think Belicheck alone caught that one, considering they had a TV timeout to review it upstairs in their box.

Anyway, it makes sense to be able to challenge the 12 men on the field because there can be absolutely conclusive video evidence and it is not a jusdgement call like, say, pass interference is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom