Twitter bans political ads (1 Viewer)

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
Huge if true. (Thread unrolled)

I seem to recall someone argyuing that Zuckerberg was unable to do the same thing for Facebook because... shareholders?

Tired of being manipulated? Not sure what or who to trust? Delete your Facebook account folks. It's not a simple process, but it can be done. Find a core group of journalists you trust to follow on Twitter and narrow your focus.

CoolBrees

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I don’t have any social media. This is as close as I have to one. I think it is the dumbest thing ever. My company has them but I let young people run that. I don’t even know the login.

I don’t know Twitter’s business model, target audience, or marketing channels.

I do know that Twitter is making a business decision here. One that in this instance lines up with some people’s ideals - but don’t get it twisted. Twitter isn’t finding it soul. They have done mountains of core user research and have found this the most profitable path forward.

That being said I do applaud the move.

Dave

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Huge if true. (Thread unrolled)

I seem to recall someone argyuing that Zuckerberg was unable to do the same thing for Facebook because... shareholders?

Tired of being manipulated? Not sure what or who to trust? Delete your Facebook account folks. It's not a simple process, but it can be done. Find a core group of journalists you trust to follow on Twitter and narrow your focus.
Zuckerberg doesn't want to lose the ad revenue, but the bigger issue is who would determine which political ads could run and which wouldn't.

Political ads range from outright lies to at minimum misleading. It's very hard to find a completely honest political ad. One ad might seem fine to one person's perspective and the opposite to someone who might be different politically. I don't see any fair way that political ads could be approved or rejected on social media.

Last edited:

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I don't know if that's entirely true though. Ads are not the same thing as an official account which is used for organizing etc. I'm hoping this is more to kill foreign accts and PAC money from abusing the system.
That's what I was thinking. I haven't followed a single sponsored tweet account yet. I already follow the accounts of those I want to hear from. So do the majority of twitter users, I believe.

OP
MLU

MLU

Reaction score

I don’t have any social media. This is as close as I have to one. I think it is the dumbest thing ever. My company has them but I let young people run that. I don’t even know the login.

I don’t know Twitter’s business model, target audience, or marketing channels.

I do know that Twitter is making a business decision here. One that in this instance lines up with some people’s ideals - but don’t get it twisted. Twitter isn’t finding it soul. They have done mountains of core user research and have found this the most profitable path forward.

That being said I do applaud the move.
You mock it because you dont understand it. I encourage you to try it. I didn't fully understand it until I gave it a shot. It can be a tremendous tool for knowledge without interacting with anyone. It's very similar to a message board, only with direct access to people who actually do know what they're talking about. Plus, pretty funny stuff if you just need a laugh.

CoolBrees

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I didn’t mean to mock anything. For me it is dumb. For the rest of the planet, it seems like a great thing, judging by the usage.

In the case of personal taste vs the majority, majority is right 100% of the time, product marketing and sales wise. I am wrong about social media and openly admit it.

I am torn because information sharing is paramount to humanity evolving further. But when individuals willingly and purposely posit misleading and malicious information, that sharing becomes dangerous and threatens to poison the well entirely.

Then you end up where those that are the most vulnerable are so turned around they distrust everyone but those that they know in real life- or feel like they do. That is when all credible sources become suspect and worthless sources become quasi-credible, because everyone lies.

OP
MLU

MLU

Reaction score
I didn’t mean to mock anything. For me it is dumb. For the rest of the planet, it seems like a great thing, judging by the usage.

In the case of personal taste vs the majority, majority is right 100% of the time, product marketing and sales wise. I am wrong about social media and openly admit it.

I am torn because information sharing is paramount to humanity evolving further. But when individuals willingly and purposely posit misleading and malicious information, that sharing becomes dangerous and threatens to poison the well entirely.

Then you end up where those that are the most vulnerable are so turned around they distrust everyone but those that they know in real life- or feel like they do. That is when all credible sources become suspect and worthless sources become quasi-credible, because everyone lies.
Sharing of disinformation is not a new concept. The only way to fight it by sharing actual information. Not all social media requires you to be social, which is why Twitter is great. I know plenty of people who have had accounts for years and never posted a single thing. They treat it like a news feed.

This message board is social media. As humans, it is important to maintain contact with others. It could be Twitter. It could be a Saints message board. It could be around a table in a coffee shop. The only difference in them is the distance between people.

Dave

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score

You mock it because you dont understand it. I encourage you to try it. I didn't fully understand it until I gave it a shot. It can be a tremendous tool for knowledge without interacting with anyone. It's very similar to a message board, only with direct access to people who actually do know what they're talking about. Plus, pretty funny stuff if you just need a laugh.
Do you have an actual response?

CoolBrees

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
It is True that disinformation campaigns are nothing new, however you couldn’t reach all the way around the world in a matter of minutes either.

And yes this site is social media, technically. I would argue the two words are pretty nebulous. I think we can agree that the platforms that fall into lexicon of “social media” would be like FB, IG, LinkedIn, the dating sites, etc.

Again, I get it. For most people virtual common space and communication is considered human interaction. Not by me. People get to say and do whatever the they want, pretend to be anyone they wish, and have no culpability for anything they say. I don’t need to be part of that. I also couldn’t care less what anyone I went to high school or college is doing. Don’t get me wrong, I hope every dream and wish everyone I have ever known has come true. I just don’t care to know about it.

In real life, at social gathering places, you cannot talk and act like a brash idiot. You will be asked to leave, or knocked out; depending on who you insult.

And frankly, a lot of people’s opinions SHOULDN’T be broadcasted for all to see. Like 13 year olds for instance. And people that say Sandy Hook is a hoax. These people don’t need their voice heard further than they can yell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom