Two Draft Prospects that I love, but don't see where they fit (1 Viewer)

Rugger

Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to get some other's thoughts on these two players. I want to see if others see the same talent/potential as I do as well as, if drafted by us, what role would they play on our team.

The two draft prospects that I am very intrigued with and would love to see on the Saints, if we have a position for them, are Johnathan Allen of Bama and Solomon Thomas from Stanford. Many publications have them listed as DEs and although I agree that both could play DE in the NFL, I think they are probably better suited as 3 and 5-techs that can bump out to the edge if needed or in certain packages.

Both players are physical freaks. They both have demonstrated the ability to dominate the LOS and take over games, something the Saints have been sorely lacking on defense. That is players that made offenses game plan to stop and are still able to make plays. Although both of them can get to the QB from several different positions, neither of them are pure edge rushers.

The issue is that, IMO, they look to be best suited to play at positions that we have locked-in starters.

It is really hard to judge how a player will transition from college to the pro level and Bama moved Allen around a good bit across their front last season, so it can be a little difficult to see where exactly he fits best in the NFL. That said, I see Allen as a 3-tech in the mold of Fairley and Rankins; however I think Allen has a very strong chance to exceed both in the NFL. He IMO was the best dlineman on a stacked Bama team.

Alabama often utilizes Allen outside as a power end, and then bumps him inside as an interior rusher on passing downs. Allen has proven that he can get after the quarterback from outside or inside. He uses a varied approach as a pass rusher and won't be easy to read from a tendency standpoint. As a run defender, Allen is a superior hand-grappler who can control the wrists and forearms of his opponents with accurate hand placement over wild chops and slaps. He's usually very quick to diagnose where the play is headed and has the plus athleticism to chase the ball carrier down.
Dare to Compare: NFL comp for Alabama DL Jonathan Allen - NFL.com

https://youtu.be/lbp5ghNZrOk

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lbp5ghNZrOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Solomon Thomas looks like an absolute stud. He is strong and explosive. He has long powerful arms that can punch and disengage from a blocker very quickly. He reminds me of a smaller Suh. I see him as a great DE/5-tech prospect. Basically the same role that Cam Jordan has locked down for our team.

Quick Quote:

“He plays like a veteran, causing disruptions in both the running and passing game. ” –Mel Kiper

Scouting Report:

A versatile defensive end with the length and strength to defend the run and also move inside. Possesses the diverse skill set that NFL defenses look for. Very strong in protecting running lanes around him, but surprisingly agile and with a set of pass rush skills to penetrate gaps, getting sacks and forcing fumbles.

https://youtu.be/FYvXrK3Ewps

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FYvXrK3Ewps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess a lot will depend on if we can sign Fairley or if he's going too want to much money. If he leaves then either of the two would be smart picks.

Honestly, even if we re-sign Fairley, I'd be okay with drafting one of these if they fell. Of course, that would also depends on whom else is available. You can't have too much depth on the d line in this league.

I hope some combination of the following players go top 10, so the guys I like most will all fall to 11.

1. Deshaun Watson
2. Mitch Trubisky
3. Deshone Kizer
4. Myles Garrett
5. Jonathan Allen
6. Jabrill Peppers
7. Jamal Adams
8. Teez Tabor
9. Marlon Humphrey
10. Quincy Wilson
11. Marshon Lattimore
12. Mike Williams
13. Solomon Thomas
14. Cam Robinson
15. Zach Cunningham
16. Dalvin Cook

Options at 11 would include: Leonard Fournette, Malik Hooker, Reuben Foster, Derek Barnett, Takkarist McKinley, Tim Williams, and Charles Harris.

Not likely, but possible...

Edit: To elaborate on the OP and why I included Allen and Thomas on my list, I think both are great players. But with Cam, Rankins, and hopefully Fairley, we really don't have an ideal position for them to fill.

If Jonathan Allen doesn't go in the top 5, he might end up in Carolina. Really hope that ain't the case. Him, Myles Garrett, and Leonard Fournette need to not be drafted in the NFC at all.

Unless it's by us.

Options at 11 would include: Leonard Fournette, Malik Hooker, Reuben Foster, Derek Barnett, Takkarist McKinley, Tim Williams, and Charles Harris.

Not likely, but possible...

Andrus may have to shut down the board if Fournette is there at #11 and the Saints don't pick him. :no:

Andrus may have to shut down the board if Fournette is there at #11 and the Saints don't pick him. :no:

Would be a good problem to have, but definitely a tough one. I wouldn't envy the guys making the decision in that situation.

As you said, both of these guys look amazing and both are probably best utilized as a SDE, which just happens to be where our best defensive player already makes his living.

Great looking prospects though, I hope they don't end up in the NFCS, lol.

If Jonathan Allen doesn't go in the top 5, he might end up in Carolina. Really hope that ain't the case. Him, Myles Garrett, and Leonard Fournette need to not be drafted in the NFC at all.

Unless it's by us.

Allen and Garrett will be gone top 5 almost for certain. If the Jets don't take Fournette (which they probably won't) then he will be sitting there for Carolina to grab up. Rotoworld just posted a blurb stating that Jonathon Stewart is likely to be cut this offseason. Unless someone trades up, we all need to get used to the idea of LF7 and sCam twice a year.

There isn't an OT worth a pick that high and with the depth at CB, the Panthers can afford to wait until Day 2 and still get a very good one.

Panthers (VERY realistic) Mock Draft

1. Leonard Fournette, RB
2. Desmond King, CB
3. Julie'n Davenport, OT

The Panthers have a track record of taking BPA at draft time, and there's a strong chance that BPA in the top 3 rounds matches up with their needs.

1. Jonathan Allen may be the best player in the draft. He's definitely gone before our pick. No chance of him being there at #11.
2. Solomon Thomas, on the other hand, has a strong chance of being there at pick #11. He is currently ranked 11th overall, last I checked.

Either would be an instant upgrade at DE.

Unless it's by us.

Agree with that statement. Strongly.

I would be disappointed with Solomon Thomas at #11. He'd be a nice 2nd round pick, but I think he's a reach at 11. I was also disappointed in the Rankins pick in the 1st last year and thought he was a reach too. Nothing I've seen from him has changed my mind.

I could live with Barnett at #11, but any of DE's below him can wait until round 2.

With that said they'll probably reach for Thomas at 11, and guys like Dalvin Cook and Zach Cunningham will be sitting there waiting to get scooped up by ecstatic teams right after us.

I would be disappointed with Solomon Thomas at #11. He'd be a nice 2nd round pick, but I think he's a reach at 11. I was also disappointed in the Rankins pick in the 1st last year and thought he was a reach too. Nothing I've seen from him has changed my mind.

I could live with Barnett at #11, but any of DE's below him can wait until round 2.

With that said they'll probably reach for Thomas at 11, and guys like Dalvin Cook and Zach Cunningham will be sitting there waiting to get scooped up by ecstatic teams right after us.

So you see nothing from Rankins that made him our 1st round pick last year?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom