Two HB Backfield (1 Viewer)

saintmike23

BRING THE WOOD!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Payton should bring back the 2 HB backfield from the days of Deuce and Reggie.

Ivory and Bush can line up in the backfield with misdirection plays abound and Ivory can even play some FB on run plays to Bush.

With Pierre and Reggie coming back and Julius Jones looking decent, we all of sudden have great depth in the backfield.

I know the Bucs run D is ranked 30th but today's performance by Ivory was superb. I think Betts is the odd man out in this scenario.

That formation works great with Reggie and anyone. We don't use it enough, IMO...especially in short yardage.

Payton should bring back the 2 HB backfield from the days of Deuce and Reggie.

Ivory and Bush can line up in the backfield with misdirection plays abound and Ivory can even play some FB on run plays to Bush.

With Pierre and Reggie coming back and Julius Jones looking decent, we all of sudden have great depth in the backfield.

I know the Bucs run D is ranked 30th but today's performance by Ivory was superb. I think Betts is the odd man out in this scenario.

Betts was signed before Jones for a reason.

Jones will be the odd man out.

I don't know, I think Betts is the odd man out as well. Jones has fresher legs and Payton is familiar with him from his Cowboys days, and apparently trusts him enough to give him a lot of playing time less than a week after signing him.

Both may be out once PT and Reggie come back.....and the only reason Betts was signed first is because Jones was on a team, so we couldn't sign him before Betts.

I think the lineup of;

PT
Bush
Ivory
Jones

....gives Coach way more flexibility to maintain our offensive philosophy incase any of the one players go down. One thing Jones brings that we don't really have if Bush gets hurt again, is a legitimate homerun threat.

Yeah that reason was because
A.) The first time, he was available before Jones
B.) The second time he was available again when Jones was still with the 'Hawks, and Betts was already familiar with the playbook, which doesn't matter because like I said, Jones wasn't even available at either time.
Betts signed a one-year contract for the New Orleans Saints on August 16th, 2010. He was cut on September 3rd, 2010. However, after Reggie Bush suffered a broken leg in the Saints' second game, the Saints again signed Betts on September 22, 2010.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-3>[4]</SUP>
On October 5, 2010 Julius Jones was cut by the Seahawks after they traded a fourth round pick for Marshawn Lynch to the Buffalo Bills

Even if Jones was available when we signed Betts, if he outperforms Betts, Payton wouldn't cut Jones and keep Betts jsut because of who he signed first.

we tend to forget that the order of responsibility for 3rd backs for the saints seems to be:
keep the blitzers off of brees and chip on DE;
catch the screen, wheel or 5 yd middle dump off;
hold onto the ball;
make the 1st on 3rd and 3

bush and PT give the offense too much flexibility to give too many snaps to a straight ahead bruiser (even if Hokie is gonna hate to hear it) - the saints need the back that plays his role the best and right now that seems to be a combo of ivory and betts

with a good 2nd half lead ivory's role would change slightly, but until coach is confident he can read/pick up blitzes he won't get that many snaps when pt and reggie return

we tend to forget that the order of responsibility for 3rd backs for the saints seems to be:
keep the blitzers off of brees and chip on DE;
catch the screen, wheel or 5 yd middle dump off;
hold onto the ball;
make the 1st on 3rd and 3

bush and PT give the offense too much flexibility to give too many snaps to a straight ahead bruiser (even if Hokie is gonna hate to hear it) - the saints need the back that plays his role the best and right now that seems to be a combo of ivory and betts

with a good 2nd half lead ivory's role would change slightly, but until coach is confident he can read/pick up blitzes he won't get that many snaps when pt and reggie return

Ivory was already getting short yardage carries in the Atlanta game when Pierre was healthy so I'd expect at least that to continue when the others return.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom