Two hot reads that weren't (1 Viewer)

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was at the game, so I don't have the benefit of replay to verify what I saw on two hot read plays by Brees. One was pretty obvious - it was after a penalty making it first and 15 or so. Brees quickly fired a pass to the middle and the receiver didn't turn to the ball (I think it was Copper). That play would have gone for BIG yards.

But more importantly and not as obvious was the interception play that was returned for a td. It looked like Brees wanted to go to Bush on with a similar quick pass, but Bush didn't turn back to him quickly enough. Brees then optioned for the sideline pass too late and disaster struck. Not a good decision by Brees, but not his first choice, either. Did anyone notice this or could someone rewatch the game and look for that?

I'm not being a Brees apologist here (the endzone picks were his mistakes). Brees' may be the best in the game when it comes to reading the blitz and going to the vacated spot on the field. It's a shame we lack the experience on the receiving end.

You are dead right on the first one, the one to Bush, Bush had a lb/db closing fast behind him, Bush was looking and had his hands up, Brees made the right decision, but threw the ball more towards the inside instead of the outside. Really, Brees' arm would have had to been stronger to really fit that pass into Stecker, but since he threw it, I wish it would have been to the outside. That's what I saw from my seats. I didn't see the replay either, so I could be wrong.

Like your "style" SBB! Always have. You make a very strong point and I'll review those plays later tonight as I fight off the nightmares by watching us lose that one again.
But I'll ask you this, could you tell from where you were if Freddie Thomas really got beaten that badly in the second half or what the changes were from Cincy that produced those long balls to CJ?

FT's been a scrappy dude for us and either he wasn't fully recovered from his "pull of some kind" or there was some other reason for him getting so blown off of his coverage?

Thanks for any insights from your sights at the game!

Happy Thanksgiving too while we're at it..........

everybody in the secondary got beat bad. alot of times there were multiple open receivers

You are dead right on the first one, the one to Bush, Bush had a lb/db closing fast behind him, Bush was looking and had his hands up, Brees made the right decision, but threw the ball more towards the inside instead of the outside. Really, Brees' arm would have had to been stronger to really fit that pass into Stecker, but since he threw it, I wish it would have been to the outside. That's what I saw from my seats. I didn't see the replay either, so I could be wrong.

I actually think that on the INT for a TD, Brees intentionally pump faked to Bush. He passed to that receiver in the formation running the same quick route twice in a row before that play. I think Brees wanted the D to bite on the pump and try to go deep, but after he pumped it, there was too much pressure in his face and had to get rid of it.

everybody in the secondary got beat bad. alot of times there were multiple open receivers
That had to have been the same for BOTH teams then! I mean, it was a freaking Air Ball Fest yesterday with over twelve plays for 20+ YARDS (As per the NFLNetwork guys)

BTW:

Just what kind of sigpic could you possibly have that is "too large?"

AND, was it one you made up with things moving around and sounds and stuff?

How DO you guys DO that ???

Like your "style" SBB! Always have. You make a very strong point and I'll review those plays later tonight as I fight off the nightmares by watching us lose that one again.
But I'll ask you this, could you tell from where you were if Freddie Thomas really got beaten that badly in the second half or what the changes were from Cincy that produced those long balls to CJ?

FT's been a scrappy dude for us and either he wasn't fully recovered from his "pull of some kind" or there was some other reason for him getting so blown off of his coverage?

Thanks for any insights from your sights at the game!

Happy Thanksgiving too while we're at it..........

The last one to CJ looked to be more of Palmer having too much time in the pocket then he moved up and looked like he'd run for the first. FT lost sight of Johnson behind him and he was all by himself. So officially he got burned, but I'll give an assist to a lack of pressure on the qb. :hihi:

The first touchdown early in the game looked like the safety got over too late to help over the top. FT couldn't seem to handle CJ solo.

That had to have been the same for BOTH teams then! I mean, it was a freaking Air Ball Fest yesterday with over twelve plays for 20+ YARDS (As per the NFLNetwork guys)

BTW:

Just what kind of sigpic could you possibly have that is "too large?"

AND, was it one you made up with things moving around and sounds and stuff?

How DO you guys DO that ???

that was the spinning saints helmet. I had forgot about the size limit. not sure how you make them, I found it on another forum.

Freddie T was supposed to have help over the top that never got there on the two long ones. He will never throw a teammate under the bus by placing blame. He has been in the league too long to blow a coverage like that.

I actually think that on the INT for a TD, Brees intentionally pump faked to Bush. He passed to that receiver in the formation running the same quick route twice in a row before that play. I think Brees wanted the D to bite on the pump and try to go deep, but after he pumped it, there was too much pressure in his face and had to get rid of it.

It certainly could have been an intentional pump fake, I guess my point is that Bush was looking in to Brees and had his hands up, whether he was a decoy or not. It also looked like Brees strong armed the ball to Stecker and didn't have a lot of steam on it.

The last one to CJ looked to be more of Palmer having too much time in the pocket then he moved up and looked like he'd run for the first. FT lost sight of Johnson behind him and he was all by himself. So officially he got burned, but I'll give an assist to a lack of pressure on the qb. :hihi:

No, Fred Thomas committed the unpardonable sin of looking into the backfield and trying to guess what the QB was gonna do, instead of worrying about his man. If the QB had tucked the ball and began to run it, then yes come up and support. But Palmer was still a good yard or two behind the LOS.

Lack of pressure does not excuse a DB from taking his eyes off of his responsibility. That's like riding down a scenic road in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and rear-ending the car in front of you -- you can't say "well, we weren't really going that fast, so I looked at the beautiful roadside, not my fault I hit you!!"

The first touchdown early in the game looked like the safety got over too late to help over the top. FT couldn't seem to handle CJ solo.

That's the way I saw them as well. Just one small difference IMO, on the "last" one (actually the 2nd TD), I thought we did have good pressure on Palmer, but he slipped away, looked like he was going to run, and that's when Johnson broke deep. And during his radio show tonight, Payton alluded to the poor safety help on the first one.

That's the way I saw them as well. Just one small difference IMO, on the "last" one (actually the 2nd TD), I thought we did have good pressure on Palmer, but he slipped away, looked like he was going to run, and that's when Johnson broke deep. And during his radio show tonight, Payton alluded to the poor safety help on the first one.

SEE? Now THIS is the kind of info that is soooooooo good to hear when you live away from HOME!

Thanks all for the insights into what really went down yesterday and with the Coahces comments! I KNOW there is nothing WE as fans can do but pull for "em but it's what we love to do so it's good news to me and I think, I think, this is the kind of team that will achieve more than what we've seen thus far and for me at least, that's GREAT news!

Cheers!

I'm no expert, but the safety, Bullock I think, was slow getting over to help out on Chad. I say this because on one play Thomas gave the safety a LOOK! JMO--hope it helps.

I'm no expert, but the safety, Bullock I think, was slow getting over to help out on Chad. I say this because on one play Thomas gave the safety a LOOK! JMO--hope it helps.

We should e-mail Coach Payton and tell him right away! Just kidding! I appreciate being at the games and being able to watch just that kind of stuff through the Field Glasses so I can REALLY see what's going on! I like to put the glasses on the Coaches to watch their demeanor and attitudes to see what's up.

My Chalmation Nation Brother from another Mother, fellow classmate of '71 and now Sp. Teams Coach of the Bills, Bobby April was is so much fun to watch at his games it's not funny!

Anyway, thanks for the notes for us less fortunate who weren't actually there!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom