Two Spaces after a Period? (1 Viewer)

There's literally no point in doing it anymore. It was a function of monospace typography on typewriters. Each letter or character typed on a typewriter took up the same amount of space, so double spacing after a period was needed for clarity. Modern word processors don't monospace. They haven't for a very long time. They account for these things innately. You may have been taught to double space after a period, but the reason you were told to do that no longer exists. So stop doing it.
So basically what you're saying is people that still do that are the literacy equivalent of "I used to walk to school uphill both ways"?

It is. Word Processors are far from modern.

Like...you do realize modern in this case was to make a distinction between current and older examples, yeah? Because it hasn't always been a functionality of word processors? I'm not sure what you're trying to do here, but it is pedantic and also wrong.

I don't type two spaces because I think it's correct any more. It obviously isn't. I do it because I was taught to do that between 28 and 29 (!) years ago in a classroom on a typewriter while clearly sneaking peeks at the keys when I thought the teacher wasn't looking (which was most of the time). It is so deeply ingrained in my brain that it's not even something I think about at all or care to think about. I'm not going to argue for it, but I don't care enough to correct it.

If the word processor has a problem with it, it should automatically change it to one space for me instead of flagging me as a stubborn old birch and taunting me for it.

Last edited:
You misused the term "pedantic." I am a bit confused as to how you think my statements were "like a pendant."
You should also limit your use of contractions, as that is completely unprofessional and amateurish.

You misused the term "pedantic." I am a bit confused as to how you think my statements were "like a pendant."
You should also limit your use of contractions, as that is completely unprofessional and amateurish.

You really had to Google the definition for pedantic, hahahaha. And no, I didn't. As you would know if you had knowledge of that word beyond the first definition Google gives you.

Look, you're clearly wildly out of your depth here. There's no point in continuing this.

I don't type two spaces it because I think it's correct any more. It obviously isn't. I do it because I was taught to do that between 28 and 29 (!) years ago in a classroom on a typewriter while clearly sneaking peeks at the keys when I thought the teacher wasn't looking (which was most of the time). It is so deeply ingrained in my brain that it's not even something I think about at all or care to think about. I'm not going to argue for it, but I don't care enough to correct it.

If the word processor has a problem with it, it should automatically change it to one space for me instead of flagging me as a stubborn old birch and taunting me for it.

Yeah, I learned to type in high school so I can actually type and it's just automatic for me to put two spaces between sentences while typing. I'm not going to try to re-learn how to type when it's purely an issue of style. I don't really care if other people do it.

There's literally no point in doing it anymore. It was a function of monospace typography on typewriters. Each letter or character typed on a typewriter took up the same amount of space, so double spacing after a period was needed for clarity. Modern word processors don't monospace. They haven't for a very long time. They account for these things innately. You may have been taught to double space after a period, but the reason you were told to do that no longer exists. So stop doing it.

No.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom