Two women attacked at USM game for sitting during national anthem (1 Viewer)

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
In case you missed it..not a huge story and not at all surprising considering it's Mississippi we're talking about here--but disturbing nonetheless

Peaceful protest held after 2 women attacked at USM game - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

According to one of the students (the two are roommates at USM), when they refused to stand for the national anthem, alcohol and soda were thrown on them, and they were called “unpatriotic [f–ks]” and “disrespectful [b–ches].”

There has been widespread speculation that the attackers were members of a fraternity on USM’s campus. University police are reviewing video of the incident and, according to the university, it is unknown at this time if the aggressors are students at USM.

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Reaction score
In case you missed it..not a huge story and not at all surprising considering it's Mississippi we're talking about here--but disturbing nonetheless

Peaceful protest held after 2 women attacked at USM game - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS
I'd be willing to bet good money that the people who attacked these WOMEN not only never served in the military but would consider themselves good Christians and would be critical of someone for assaulting a female.

The assailants very actions disrespect the flag and anthem. I wish so much that there was a draft these days.

Reaction score
Hate to play the "who's more racist" game, but Mississippi is FAR from being the worst in that category in the country and even among the Southern states we aren't the worst.

I hate when crap like this happens, but hate it even more when it happens in our state because every time you get comments like the OP that just add to the stigma.

lades

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hate to play the "who's more racist" game, but Mississippi is FAR from being the worst in that category in the country and even among the Southern states we aren't the worst.

I hate when crap like this happens, but hate it even more when it happens in our state because every time you get comments like the OP that just add to the stigma.
Yeah. Mississippi has gotten such a bad rap:

Attachments

Reaction score
Yeah. Mississippi has gotten such a bad rap:
There are 5 states that still have a confederate emblem on their flag, yet do you ever hear how racist Florida is? New Orleans has more confederate monuments than any single city in Mississippi and I can't verify, but probably more than all of Mississippi combined.

Still, why should we sit here and throw stones at one-another as Southerners (assuming you are), when, in fact, the South in general is far less "racist" today, even with a much higher concentration of minorities, than a lot of the states North of us that just love painting us in that light. As a Southerner & more so a Mississippian, I'm quite proud of the progress we have made and get quite disgusted when I hear people disparage our region in that manner based mostly on events that occurred half a century or more ago and not on the present-day environment.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There are 5 states that still have a confederate emblem on their flag, yet do you ever hear how racist Florida is? New Orleans has more confederate monuments than any single city in Mississippi and I can't verify, but probably more than all of Mississippi combined.

Still, why should we sit here and throw stones at one-another as Southerners (assuming you are), when, in fact, the South in general is far less "racist" today, even with a much higher concentration of minorities, than a lot of the states North of us that just love painting us in that light. As a Southerner & more so a Mississippian, I'm quite proud of the progress we have made and get quite disgusted when I hear people disparage our region in that manner based mostly on events that occurred half a century or more ago and not on the present-day environment.
your first instinct to not play the "who's more racist" game was probably the right one - it's like Giulianni playing the "i'm not as bad a spouse as some others" game -
plus, even if you're right about 'degrees of improvement' there's still a long way to go and what is the appropriate amount of racism remaining to say "ok, we good'?

LAhotsauce

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
This is why I pretty much lock myself inside nowadays. If I'm at that game and see this happen, I would have tried to throw those beer throwing morons down the steps.

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We all know that drunk frats are the most reasonable individuals.

Reaction score
I can't figure out why people think Mississippi is filled with racists...
Yet, this is what the story is about:

Nearly 100 USM students gathered peacefully with signs to help get their message across.

“When I heard about the incident at the game, it bothered me,” Brandon Rue, a freshman student at USM. “I feel like this was a great opportunity to help out my fellow classmates."

Although Rue was disappointed in the reported incident, he said it does not represent Southern Miss as a whole.

“The event that took place doesn’t show what Southern Miss really is,” Rue said.

“The main message of today is love, appreciation, and care for all of us, but the black lives especially,” USM junior Jocelynn Sims said while speaking about the message at Monday's protest.

Sims also spoke about the support given from other students.

“Everyone was very respectful. There was no arguing and bickering,” Sims said.
Rather than basing your judgement on a flag or listening to hate-baiters or sensational headlines, open your eyes to what really went on and what the response was.

dgrant

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I agree, if you are a southern state you are automatically painted with a broad brush, while racism in the north has gone on quietly since the beginning of this country. Neither forms are excusable, but I don't get why people think it is only a southern problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dan in Lafayette New Orleans Saints vs. Detroit Lions | NFL Week 4 Game Preview SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Drew Brees Talks Saints Offensive Weapons, Week 4 Game Plan | Saints at Lions Week 4 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
A first for the NFL: Steelers-Titans game is postponed because of positive coronavirus tests Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dr. Sting Is it safe to say that the Lions game makes or breaks our season? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 37
Dan in Lafayette Jonathan Vilma to call his first Saints game for FOX Sports SR News Page Articles 0
Fleur-de-Links, September 29: Reactions from Saints players following Week 3 game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Second look: Where was the Saints pass rush? What about the downfield passing game? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Gentilly504 If I’m game planning against the Saints Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 40
Andrus Continued disappointment for fans, businesses after another no-fans Saints home game SR News Page Articles 0
Overreactions from the Saints Week 3 game against the Packers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Which QB gives the Saints the best chance to win the game? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16
Fleur-de-Links, September 28: Saints running back had a big game in loss to Green Bay Saints RSS News Feeds 0
BelowZero Would this game have been different with Winston? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 69
Does Anyone Think We Lose that Game Tonite with Normal Packed Dome of Fans? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 19
Saviorbrees Feel good after this game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 35
New Orleans Saints guard Andrus Peat carted off the field; out for game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints 17 Packers 13: 2nd half game thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints LG Andrus Peat carted off in game against Packers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
saintsfan777 Analysis ***Official Packers @ Saints Game Day Thread*** Gameday Board 2704
Sumdude34 N/S Rams currently being handed a football game....... again [UPDATE: Justice is Served!!!] Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 25
Saints vs. Packers: Game Time, TV, Radio, Online Streaming, Mobile, and Odds Saints RSS News Feeds 0
What went wrong for the Saints passing game Monday & how they can fix it Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Report: Packers' Adams to be game-time decision vs. Saints SR News Page Articles 0
Film Study: Packers run game plays right into Saints’ strengths Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Is this Drew Brees "Crossroads" game? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 19
League issues memo reminding teams about game-day protocols Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Erik McCoy on Offensive Line Execution, Saints Game Plan| Saints vs. Packers Week 3 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
ktmoze 750 Saints Family will attend Packers Game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 22
Sean Payton: I get caught up in the game and forget about the mask Saints RSS News Feeds 0
cue180 Payton delayed trip home in order to review game film Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 73
Fleur-de-Links, September 23: More analysis of the Saints/Raiders game as Green Bay looms in the distance Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Whenever the Saints lose a Primetime Game.. They win the next Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Covington Saint There's no integrity left in the NFL game. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 77
The Saints don’t look like the Saints, as they drop Week 2 game in Las Vegas, 34-24. Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, September 22: Fallout from the Saints’ week 2 game against the Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
SystemShock Last drive of the game: if you are going to give up like that, just take knees Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Raiders score 24 unanswered points to top Saints in first-ever Las Vegas game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Payton post game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 20
mither_rome Run game early Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 29
17 all: Saints at Raiders 2nd half game thread Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Need a reminder of Drew Brees' iconic Monday Night football history? Check out his pre-game cleats Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Week 1 standouts Margus Hunt and Bennie Fowler III called up from practice squad for Saints vs. Raiders game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
CowtownSaint Murray, Harris or TQS, Who has the Biggest Game Tonight? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 23
Saints vs. Raiders: Game Time, TV, Radio, Online Streaming, Mobile, and Odds Saints RSS News Feeds 0
cue180 Dr. Anderson might evaluate Thomas before Packers game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Bill Analysis ***Official Saints @ Raiders Game Day Thread*** Gameday Board 2495
Fleur-de-Links, September 21: Injury reports and betting odds heading into Saints Monday Night Football game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Taker597 Lions may be inbound on a 12 game losing streak. *Trap Game Alert* Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Did I hear right? Mike Tirico Calling our game next week on SNF Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 26
Krodwhodat Fox Americas game of the week Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4