Two women attacked at USM game for sitting during national anthem (1 Viewer)

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
In case you missed it..not a huge story and not at all surprising considering it's Mississippi we're talking about here--but disturbing nonetheless

Peaceful protest held after 2 women attacked at USM game - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

According to one of the students (the two are roommates at USM), when they refused to stand for the national anthem, alcohol and soda were thrown on them, and they were called “unpatriotic [f–ks]” and “disrespectful [b–ches].”

There has been widespread speculation that the attackers were members of a fraternity on USM’s campus. University police are reviewing video of the incident and, according to the university, it is unknown at this time if the aggressors are students at USM.

In case you missed it..not a huge story and not at all surprising considering it's Mississippi we're talking about here--but disturbing nonetheless

Peaceful protest held after 2 women attacked at USM game - WDAM-TV 7-News, Weather, Sports-Hattiesburg, MS

I'd be willing to bet good money that the people who attacked these WOMEN not only never served in the military but would consider themselves good Christians and would be critical of someone for assaulting a female.

The assailants very actions disrespect the flag and anthem. I wish so much that there was a draft these days.

Patriotism comes first, being a good person is way down on the list. get with the times.

Hate to play the "who's more racist" game, but Mississippi is FAR from being the worst in that category in the country and even among the Southern states we aren't the worst.

I hate when crap like this happens, but hate it even more when it happens in our state because every time you get comments like the OP that just add to the stigma.

Hate to play the "who's more racist" game, but Mississippi is FAR from being the worst in that category in the country and even among the Southern states we aren't the worst.

I hate when crap like this happens, but hate it even more when it happens in our state because every time you get comments like the OP that just add to the stigma.

Yeah. Mississippi has gotten such a bad rap:

Attachments

• Mississippi-state-flag-flying-in-front-of-capitol-building-in-Jackson-Shutterstock1-800x430.jpg
    Mississippi-state-flag-flying-in-front-of-capitol-building-in-Jackson-Shutterstock1-800x430.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 11
Yeah. Mississippi has gotten such a bad rap:

There are 5 states that still have a confederate emblem on their flag, yet do you ever hear how racist Florida is? New Orleans has more confederate monuments than any single city in Mississippi and I can't verify, but probably more than all of Mississippi combined.

Still, why should we sit here and throw stones at one-another as Southerners (assuming you are), when, in fact, the South in general is far less "racist" today, even with a much higher concentration of minorities, than a lot of the states North of us that just love painting us in that light. As a Southerner & more so a Mississippian, I'm quite proud of the progress we have made and get quite disgusted when I hear people disparage our region in that manner based mostly on events that occurred half a century or more ago and not on the present-day environment.

There are 5 states that still have a confederate emblem on their flag, yet do you ever hear how racist Florida is? New Orleans has more confederate monuments than any single city in Mississippi and I can't verify, but probably more than all of Mississippi combined.

Still, why should we sit here and throw stones at one-another as Southerners (assuming you are), when, in fact, the South in general is far less "racist" today, even with a much higher concentration of minorities, than a lot of the states North of us that just love painting us in that light. As a Southerner & more so a Mississippian, I'm quite proud of the progress we have made and get quite disgusted when I hear people disparage our region in that manner based mostly on events that occurred half a century or more ago and not on the present-day environment.

your first instinct to not play the "who's more racist" game was probably the right one - it's like Giulianni playing the "i'm not as bad a spouse as some others" game -
plus, even if you're right about 'degrees of improvement' there's still a long way to go and what is the appropriate amount of racism remaining to say "ok, we good'?

The attackers were probably angry about how political correctness is destroying the country.

I can't figure out why people think Mississippi is filled with racists...

Attachments

• Eubanks-Mississippi-Two-Flag-State-1200.jpg
    Eubanks-Mississippi-Two-Flag-State-1200.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 11
This is why I pretty much lock myself inside nowadays. If I'm at that game and see this happen, I would have tried to throw those beer throwing morons down the steps.

We all know that drunk frats are the most reasonable individuals.

I can't figure out why people think Mississippi is filled with racists...

Yet, this is what the story is about:

Nearly 100 USM students gathered peacefully with signs to help get their message across.

“When I heard about the incident at the game, it bothered me,” Brandon Rue, a freshman student at USM. “I feel like this was a great opportunity to help out my fellow classmates."

Although Rue was disappointed in the reported incident, he said it does not represent Southern Miss as a whole.

“The event that took place doesn’t show what Southern Miss really is,” Rue said.

“The main message of today is love, appreciation, and care for all of us, but the black lives especially,” USM junior Jocelynn Sims said while speaking about the message at Monday's protest.

Sims also spoke about the support given from other students.

“Everyone was very respectful. There was no arguing and bickering,” Sims said.

Rather than basing your judgement on a flag or listening to hate-baiters or sensational headlines, open your eyes to what really went on and what the response was.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom