Tyeler Davison is the new starting nose tackle (1 Viewer)

scott88

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Coach Sean Payton named second-year DT Tyeler Davison the Saints' starting nose tackle.

That would be ahead of John Jenkins, with Sheldon Rankins and Nick Fairley at three technique. Payton said Davison has been "outstanding and the tape shows it." A 2015 fifth-round steal out of Fresno State, Davison stands 6-foot-2, 316 with long arms and huge hands. He will be a run stopper in New Orleans' 4-3.

per: rotoworld

https://twitter.com/LyonsYellin/status/764857834924285952

He earned it. The tape doesn't lie.

Not bad for a 5th round pick, beating out a 3rd rounder. He earned it, we all saw it, and kudo's to staff for awarding him the position.

The defense is getting better.

John Jenkins better get it together or he won't be here at the end of the season.

Ship has sailed IMHO. I very highly doubt Jenkins will be here next year. Very disappointed in Jenkins honestly, he just never cared enough I think. When he tries he is a force, unfortunately that is not very often.

Congrats to him. A solid find on the defensive front by the front office. I hope he turns out to not just be Saints "good", but "good" by NFL standards across the league. So often we have started guys on the defensive side who wouldn't sniff the rotation of a top 10 defense, but hey, they were good for us. Let's hope Tyler is more than what we expected.

John Jenkins saw a similar fall to everyone's gotta have this year in the kid from Baylor. When NTs drop like that it's for a reason. 1dimensional and he wasn't really great at that 1 dimension. 5weeks ago Tyeler Davison was a Jag on this board

Well I'm surprised. Jenkins was a 3rd rounder - pretty high pick. I didn't see much hope that a 5th rounder would have much chance to eclipse a 3rd rounder. So when Davison was drafted, I figured he was almost as good as Jenkins, but not quite. Jenkins 2.0 (or Jenkins 0.75).

He proved me wrong.

But don't diss Jenkins. He's given it his all for this team. He's played well, stayed out of trouble, and he deserves respect.

This promotion for Davison is a testament to his effort. He's earned it.

Well I'm surprised. Jenkins was a 3rd rounder - pretty high pick. I didn't see much hope that a 5th rounder would have much chance to eclipse a 3rd rounder. So when Davison was drafted, I figured he was almost as good as Jenkins, but not quite. Jenkins 2.0 (or Jenkins 0.75).

He proved me wrong.

But don't diss Jenkins. He's given it his all for this team. He's played well, stayed out of trouble, and he deserves respect.

This promotion for Davison is a testament to his effort. He's earned it.
a 3rd rounder isn't a high pick. There is only one classification of a high pick and that is 1st round- to top 10 2nd round. Talent drops off incredibly in the mid-second. Only about 1-2 3rd rounders per year actually become great player. You're playing the odds. It irritates me how most people think that every expectation is to get a sure fire starter with the top 5 picks when a quality starter that last 5 years per team ranges about 1.8-1.9 per draft.Getting two starter worthy players is above average. Hitting on any pick past the second is all a gamble and comes down 25% scouting, 75% luck.

Well I hope it was the scheme.

He was lights-out in preseason last year too. Then come the regular season, he played roughly half the defensive snaps and only got 10 tackles. I could never figure out why.

the guy was taking out patriots 2 at a time!!!! And that was against their starters. We looked good without Cam even being in. I cant wait to see Edebali Rankins Davison and Jordan out there at the same time

Disagree.

Valid points. Luck is involved, it's all a crapshoot, first rounders get cut all the time. But a 3rd rounder is a high pick.
Around 45-55% of 1st round are starters. Depending on draft quality, It can drop too as low as the mid-30s. It is better than the 5% in the Third round and there a lot of times where that 5% turns into 0%. Talent is bottleneck at the top. 3rd round is exactly what it is... a mid-round pick with very low chance of hitting.

Around 45-55% of 1st round are starters. Depending on draft quality, It can drop too as low as the mid-30s. It is better than the 5% in the Third round and there a lot of times where that 5% turns into 0%. Talent is bottleneck at the top. 3rd round is exactly what it is... a mid-round pick with very low chance of hitting.

A lot of players drafted in the first round play, the first season or two anyway, because of where they were drafted not necessarily because they deserve it. The FO and coaches need that pick to succeed to save face.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom