Tying up the loose ends about tight ends.... (1 Viewer)

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Ok, quite possibly the best thread title I've ever come up with. :mwink:

Does anyone know or have stats for how opposing tight ends do against us? Just looking through some of the stats at nfl.com (time consuming) it looks like teams like to get after us with their tight ends. Why is that and what do we need to do to stop it? I was hunting today and got to thinking that it seems like we give up a lot of passing plays to TE's. Witten the other night near the end of the game was what put me on that train of thought. It was driving me crazy watching him and Kitna play catch on that last drive.

my only guess is lack of pressure which would normally force Witten or any TE to block.

it killed us in the Atl game to with Gonzo, about the only reason Atl walked out of the game was constant passing to Gonzo on 3rd downs.

But I would actually guess the problem is at LB.

We'll continue to have problems with good TE's until.....

1. Sharper comes back fully allowing us to line Jenkins up on the opposing teams TE's.

2. Upgrade Shanle.

Good thread title. Could have been a pretty good thread with about 5 minutes worth of research.

Ok, quite possibly the best thread title I've ever come up with. :mwink:

Does anyone know or have stats for how opposing tight ends do against us? Just looking through some of the stats at nfl.com (time consuming) it looks like teams like to get after us with their tight ends. Why is that and what do we need to do to stop it? I was hunting today and got to thinking that it seems like we give up a lot of passing plays to TE's. Witten the other night near the end of the game was what put me on that train of thought. It was driving me crazy watching him and Kitna play catch on that last drive.

prevent d...keep everything in front of you/underneath. Rush to tackle. Whatever you do, do not give up the big play ( see that LSU? )

Saints rank 20th in the league as far as fantasy points allowed to tight ends which is fairly bad. For what it's worth...

Teams know that they need to go after whoever is covering the TE because that player will not be as good in coverage as greer and porter. Basically with their wideouts blanketed it is either checked down to a back or a pass to the TE.

Week 1 against Minny: Leading receiver was TE Shianco with 76 yards
Week 2 against San Fran: Leading receiver was TE Davis with 78 yards
Week 3 against ATL: Leading receiver was TE Gonzo with 110 yards
Week 4 against Carolina: Leading receiver was RB with 55 yards
Week 5 against Arizona: Leading receiver was WR Fitz with 93 yards
Week 6 against Tampa: Leading receiver was RB Williams with 63 yards
Week 7 against Cleveland: Leading receiver was WR Robiske with 25 yards
Week 8 against Pittsburgh: Leading receiver was WR Wallace with 43 yards
Week 9 against Carolina: Leading receiver was WR Gettis with 22 yards
Week 11 against Seattle: Leading receiver was WR Williams with 109 yards
Week 12 against Dallas: Leading receiver was TE Witten with 99 yards

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom