Tyler Johnson was built for this offense (1 Viewer)

Saintaholik

SaintsReport PHD (Formerly SaintsSwag)
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentleman Tyler Johnson is the truth, and I think he may have been created in Sean Paytons Lab!

First of all he has great size and build for the position. He is built to take hits on contested grabs over the middle, and in the endzone.

He can run any route with precision that this offense would need him too. Hes got a great release off the line of scrimmage and can be pretty physical as well, and is super clean coming out of his breaks. Hes not the fastest receiver out there, but when you have technique, and soft hands you dont have to be.

Consistency is a very valuable trait to have as a WR. To say that Johnson was consistent could be somewhat of an understatement. He was the man in that offense, and brought it each and every week. When his team needed a big play or a huge conversion he was the guy.

Johnson was a huge part of the success Minnesota had this year, and his abilities were on full display even against stiffer competition like Auburn

Tyler Johnson would fit in perfectly in this offense. Being a reliable number 2 that we need. Someone who can take the pressure off of MT13, and AK.

Im not saying Tyler Johnson is the best WR in this draft.

But....

I do believe Johnson, as well as Justin Jefferson are the two best fits for our offense. We are not that vertical offense anymore. We are more of a West Coast methodical offense. For this offense to be at it's best, we need another reliable chain mover like Johnson and or Justin Jefferson.

I truly believe Sean could get the best out of either one of them. I also believe that's all this offense is really lacking, that reliable #2 reciever who can take the pressure off Mike, and be relied on to move the chains, and to come down with 50/50 balls.

It seems to have become accepted as 'truth' on this board that we can't throw deep with Drew. Not sure I agree.

I think the need at WR is to replace Ginn as deep threat ready for when age eventually diminishes his speed, or his contract runs out.

Based on all that, I don't think we necessarily prioritise another West coast possession receiver like this guy. But I'm not going to say I know for sure.

Also, bigger issue in SP offense is, how well and willingly does he block?

It seems to have become accepted as 'truth' on this board that we can't throw deep with Drew. Not sure I agree.

I think the need at WR is to replace Ginn as deep threat ready for when age eventually diminishes his speed, or his contract runs out.

Based on all that, I don't think we necessarily prioritise another West coast possession receiver like this guy. But I'm not going to say I know for sure.

TQS got deep in college. Deonte Harris can apparently get deep. Ginn got deep a number of times this season...Brees poorly threw the ball, either a wounded duck, short, or off the mark. I can count the number of nice passes that Drew has thrown 40+ yardsthe past two seasons on one hand. He can still be a functional QB...but his deep ball is very likely gone.

The bigger question is whether you purposely bring in WRs that match his game. Because though it can potentially help next year, it seems short sighted. Brees can be retired after this season. I like the idea of just getting the best WR.

Agreed, in order to succeed as an Offense we just have to accept the passing game will need to function from 25 yards and within next season with Drew at QB.

The focus for finding a complimentary receiver will need to be Hands, toughness, ability to compete for the ball in the air, physical run after catch ability and willingness to go over the middle, short area quickness.

There is no need to fill the receiver corps. with Smaller, speedsters who just fly down the field with sub 4.4 speed and double move routes, they won't be able to be utilized properly and their greatest talent would be wasted in next season's Saints passing game, We need dominant possession types who pluck the ball out of the air, and bully corners. Have a receiving corps. full of Sammy Watkin's and Alshon Jeffery type receivers.. not Tyreke Hill's. So that means Ginn will probably be out and not brought back as an UFA.

The few true deep shots we do take next season will probably be trick type plays with Taysom as QB to break tendencies early on in games to Deonte Harris or Tre'Quan... with Drew the vertical routes we'll see will be the Slot fades sail concept, 20 yard crossing routes where he can get air under it and lead a receiver.

Last edited:
Ladies and Gentleman Tyler Johnson is the truth, and I think he may have been created in Sean Paytons Lab!

First of all he has great size and build for the position. He is built to take hits on contested grabs over the middle, and in the endzone.

He can run any route with precision that this offense would need him too. Hes got a great release off the line of scrimmage and can be pretty physical as well, and is super clean coming out of his breaks. Hes not the fastest receiver out there, but when you have technique, and soft hands you dont have to be.

Consistency is a very valuable trait to have as a WR. To say that Johnson was consistent could be somewhat of an understatement. He was the man in that offense, and brought it each and every week. When his team needed a big play or a huge conversion he was the guy.

Johnson was a huge part of the success Minnesota had this year, and his abilities were on full display even against stiffer competition like Auburn

Tyler Johnson would fit in perfectly in this offense. Being a reliable number 2 that we need. Someone who can take the pressure off of MT13, and AK.

Im not saying Tyler Johnson is the best WR in this draft.

But....

I do believe Johnson, as well as Justin Jefferson are the two best fits for our offense. We are not that vertical offense anymore. We are more of a West Coast methodical offense. For this offense to be at it's best, we need another reliable chain mover like Johnson and or Justin Jefferson.

I truly believe Sean could get the best out of either one of them. I also believe that's all this offense is really lacking, that reliable #2 reciever who can take the pressure off Mike, and be relied on to move the chains, and to come down with 50/50 balls.

This kid would be insane in saints offense and I would take him over Trequan Smith 7 days a week and twice on Sundays . He would fit perfectly in our offense .

Was able to watch Johnson for the year with BTN as my wife is from Minnesota. Kid is a monster wr that would excel in SP offense. Size, speed, consistent, great hands, understands how to get seperation. TJ is for real

Just wondering what evidence from this past season has shown you the Saints can be a Vertical, deep passing team next year with Drew at Quarterback?

There was only One charted completion of a pass travelling at least 30 air yards with Drew at Quarterback last season and that was Week 12 against the Panthers, on sort of a broken play.
giphy.gif

This isn't a bash on Drew post, Drew can still do a lot of great things at Quarterback but the long ball just simply isn't one of them anymore. He can still kill a Defense with efficiency, timing and accuracy within 20 yards and dissecting what a Defense is doing pre-snap. (that's why a lot of people are calling for the receiver corps. to be overhauled with receivers that fit West Coast principles)

I really don't see how undersized, lanky speedster Receivers fit the Offense anymore if Drew is the starter next season, those are usually not the type of guys that go over the middle, and fight for for jump balls. IMO the perfect type of Rookie receiver to add for next season would fit the mold of an 'AJ Brown', or 'DK Metcalf' type.

Also Ginn is a Free agent, and he will likely not be brought back IMO. I think the Saints already have a young, speedster who can fit that role on the Offense next season; and that is Deonte Harris; and I only think they need One of those proto-types.

Just wondering what evidence from this past season has shown you the Saints can be a Vertical, deep passing team next year with Drew at Quarterback?

There was only One charted completion of a pass travelling at least 30 air yards with Drew at Quarterback last season and that was Week 12 against the Panthers, on sort of a broken play.
giphy.gif

This isn't a bash on Drew post, Drew can still do a lot of great things at Quarterback but the long ball just simply isn't one of them anymore. He can still kill a Defense with efficiency, timing and accuracy within 20 yards and dissecting what a Defense is doing pre-snap. (that's why a lot of people are calling for the receiver corps. to be overhauled with receivers that fit West Coast principles)

I really don't see how undersized, lanky speedster Receivers fit the Offense anymore if Drew is the starter next season, those are usually not the type of guys that go over the middle, and fight for for jump balls. IMO the perfect type of Rookie receiver to add for next season would fit the mold of an 'AJ Brown', or 'DK Metcalf' type.

Also Ginn is a Free agent, and he will likely not be brought back IMO. I think the Saints already have a young, speedster who can fit that role on the Offense next season; and that is Deonte Harris; and I only think they need One of those proto-types.
Agree with your basis for argument, although I would be more interested in the number of deep shots taken, not just how many were completed.

In terms of why take a deep threat, even if you discount Brees as a deep pass option, it's two things for me:

1. He's not going to be QB forever, so you have to be ready for that.

2. If you don't take shots deep, defenses don't have to respect that threat, meaning the rest of the field becomes more constricted. You can still scheme and matchup somewhat, but I am in the camp that says you can't do that consistently with success. And I say that as someone who (see deep shots above) believes we have this in our game with Brees, but need to replace Ginn if he walks.

I like Harris but speed alone is not a deep threat. That said, I've not seen him enough on tape to know if he has this in his game, or the attributes to get there. We've taken a lot of speedsters and projected them to that role without success.

Last edited:
Agree with your basis for argument, although I would be more interested in the number of deep shots taken, not just how many were completed.

In terms of why take a deep threat, even if you discount Brees as a deep pass option, it's two things for me:

1. He's not going to be QB forever, so you have to be ready for that.

2. If you don't take shots deep, defenses don't have to respect that threat, meaning the rest of the field becomes more constricted. You can still scheme and matchup somewhat, but I am in the camp that says you can't do that consistently with success. And I say that as someone who (see deep shots above) believes we have this in our game with Brees, but need to replace Ginn if he walks.

I like Harris but speed alone is not a deep threat. That said, I've not seen him enough on take to know if he has this in his game, or the attributes to get there. We've taken a lot of speedsters and projected them to that role without success.
Going off NextGen stats
NextGenStats

only looking at games with Drew Brees at QB
He was 2/9 on passes attempted over 30 air yards, with 1 Interception. (including the Minnesota wild card game)

You are right in that we have a very small sample size when looking at Deonte Harris in more of a Wide receiver role, but that 50 yard reception in the Wild Card game was very encouraging. He displayed excellent route running and body control with a very believable nod, and head fake to the out cut and then sharply came back inside to the Deep post on Xavier Rhodes who even in a down year is a very highly regarded Cornerback in the League. That play alone shows incredible promise out of the young man as a Deep route runner; he didn't just win that route off straight speed but did it with body control and footwork. You would have to think with a whole Off-season to work on his route running, and timing within the Offense he could be a very capable replacement for the 'Ginn' role.

Even still you have Tre'Quan Smith whose strength as a prospect was as a down the field strider on deep routes, he's going into his 3rd season.. and Year 3 is generally Make or Break for Receivers. Next season will be huge for him.

So even in the case of a Drew retirement, if Taysom, Teddy or someone else is the starter at QB next season I believe you have 2 potential good 'deep threats' for the Offense. The weakness in the Wide receiver corps last season was when teams could double Mike Thomas, and could match up well with Jared Cook, and Alvin Kamara there was a noticeable weakness in making the tough contested catches over the middle, or in the seams of a Defense, to move the chains and keep the Offense on schedule when Mike Thomas is being taken away by a Defense.

Maybe we're just on different pages but I feel getting another more physical presence, who can run reliable timing routes (the slants, curls, crossers) with strong hands, and reliable timing based route running is much more important for next season than adding another potential speedster; when we already have 2 receivers that can fill the 'Deep threat role' on the roster. (Tre'Quan, and Deonte Harris)

Def a possibility

I'm not saying that Drew cant go deep anymore, I'm just saying it's just not the type of offense we are. We are more of a methodical 12 play 80 yards drive offense.

If we want to go deep, we still can. We have Deonte Harris and TQS if we wanted to take a shot. Let's not sleep on his ability to high point the ball in tight coverage and come down with it. With a guy like johnson, all you need is single coverage to take a shot

P.S. Tyler Johnson is a very willing blocker. He could def be more polished and use better leverage but I dont ever worry about that too much. The Saints Coaching staff has always been sticklers about teaching their WR's how to block

Last edited:

giphy.gif

so he released the ball on roughly 39yard line and ted gin caught it at the 26 so thats a 35 yard pass and he kinda line drived it, wasnt a high throw ball. He still has enough arm to throw 40-45yard air passes but he needs prefect conditions(pocket and and good step up)

Going off NextGen stats
NextGenStats

only looking at games with Drew Brees at QB
He was 2/9 on passes attempted over 30 air yards, with 1 Interception. (including the Minnesota wild card game)

You are right in that we have a very small sample size when looking at Deonte Harris in more of a Wide receiver role, but that 50 yard reception in the Wild Card game was very encouraging. He displayed excellent route running and body control with a very believable nod, and head fake to the out cut and then sharply came back inside to the Deep post on Xavier Rhodes who even in a down year is a very highly regarded Cornerback in the League. That play alone shows incredible promise out of the young man as a Deep route runner; he didn't just win that route off straight speed but did it with body control and footwork. You would have to think with a whole Off-season to work on his route running, and timing within the Offense he could be a very capable replacement for the 'Ginn' role.

Even still you have Tre'Quan Smith whose strength as a prospect was as a down the field strider on deep routes, he's going into his 3rd season.. and Year 3 is generally Make or Break for Receivers. Next season will be huge for him.

So even in the case of a Drew retirement, if Taysom, Teddy or someone else is the starter at QB next season I believe you have 2 potential good 'deep threats' for the Offense. The weakness in the Wide receiver corps last season was when teams could double Mike Thomas, and could match up well with Jared Cook, and Alvin Kamara there was a noticeable weakness in making the tough contested catches over the middle, or in the seams of a Defense, to move the chains and keep the Offense on schedule when Mike Thomas is being taken away by a Defense.

Maybe we're just on different pages but I feel getting another more physical presence, who can run reliable timing routes (the slants, curls, crossers) with strong hands, and reliable timing based route running is much more important for next season than adding another potential speedster; when we already have 2 receivers that can fill the 'Deep threat role' on the roster. (Tre'Quan, and Deonte Harris)
1. You have that receiver already in Thomas 2. Harris is too short to be an every down receiver and 3. Tre Quan is not a deep threat because he is not that fast , he can’t stay healthy and drops balls at crucial moments of the games .

you can't draft to simply fill a perceived need. Always draft BPA!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom