Tyran Mathieu as a potential Saints pick (*Speculation only) (1 Viewer)

saint_cajun78

Very Banned
Reaction score
It comes as no surprise that the Saints have interest in him. Rob Ryan apparently got to pick his brain on the plane ride home from the combine and we had a good showing at LSU's pro day. And just this morning it was mentioned that the Saints are one of the NFL teams highest on drafting him. So my question is if we truely are high on him when do you think that the Saints would grab him?

I think he may be there when we pick in the 3rd and I would not mind grabbing him there. Now I know we have Galette, Tez, and the recent addition of Butler at the OLB position and it looks as though we are targeting at least one more pass rusher in FA with Abraham's name being thrown out there on a few occasions. So if we do indeed pick up another OLB in FA to go along with our young stable of OLB'ers currently on the roster do you think this shifts our direction in the draft to another postion of need such as D-lineman, Safety, or even CB. And if this is the case to you think the front office may reach and grab Mathieu in the first if they think he may not make it to our pick in the 3rd? Personally I would hope if that is the case that we would look for a trade partner and trade down in the 1st and pick up an additonal pick or two and grab him in the bottom of the second at the earliest or the top of the third.

So what's your thoughts? And before you go bashing Mathieu for his off the field issues please look at this situation based off of this guys potential to help our defense. I truly believe this kid made some mistakes and should be afforded the opportunity to show he has moved on from those mistakes. There is no doubt this kid has a nose for the football and is a playmaker. We haven't had a ball hawk on the team since Sharper and it would be nice to to be on the plus side of turnovers again and I think Mathieu could help us in that department as well as the return game.

I like Mathieu, I really do - but he needs to get AWAY from NOLA / Baton Rouge to have a successful career IMO.

If Tyrann is selected i would doubt it would be before the 6th

I think your absolutely wrong. I doubt he even makes it out of the 3rd. Ever since the combine he has been gaining steam and teams are looking at him. I can even see him being grabed in the bottom of the 2nd. He can play in the secondary and speacial teams which raises his value even more.

He wont be there when we pick in the 3rd so unless we acquire a 2nd, I don't see him a Saint. (no pun intended)

I like Mathieu, I really do - but he needs to get AWAY from NOLA / Baton Rouge to have a successful career IMO.

I disagree. I think his issues have been blown out of proportion and I see him being focus in the NFL no matter where he plays next year.

I think if he's there in the 4th, we should take him. That's where he becomes a good value pick for us. He's a play maker and he is a beast in drills, but he's undersized and obviously has character concerns.

I don't care if someone smokes weed, but his decision making is what teams are worried about. He said himself on NFL AM that if he stays in Louisiana, there would need to be a serious plan of action to keep him out of harms way.

I like the kid and I want him to succeed, I just don't know if we should spend higher than a 4th on him.

I disagree. I think his issues have been blown out of proportion and I see him being focus in the NFL no matter where he plays next year.

I disagree. Smoking pot isn't a huge deal TBH, but keeping him around the same bad influences will at least push him in the direction of continuing the behavior that got him in trouble in the first place.

I think he needs leaders around him like Sean Payton and Drew Brees. What better way to get your act straight then with those two guys.

For those of you saying he needs to get away from NOLA to be successful because of influences, I disagree. If a kid with money wants to smoke weed...he is gonna find some weed to smoke. no matter what city he is in. if he wants to be a professional and enjoy a nice career, he'll resist temptation.

i think he will be there in the fourth and thats where we should pick him up. i think we'll go either OL/OLB/DT in the first. and either S/OLB in the third. not sure if he is listed as a S or CB goin into the draft, but i would love to pick him up in the fourth

I see him available in the third. I don't think teams are going to risk taking him in the first 2 rounds. How far he falls in the third round will be difficult to predict as teams generally take more risks at that point.

I honestly don't think anywhere will be a life changing place. He is getting his act together (I feel temporarily) so he can get paid. That being said, I'd still give him a chance. Put a clause in his contract. Drugs = no money.

I disagree. Smoking pot isn't a huge deal TBH, but keeping him around the same bad influences will at least push him in the direction of continuing the behavior that got him in trouble in the first place.

There are bad influences everywhere. The kid made some mistakes. Name anyone you know past or present who hasn't made mistakes. Sometimes the best way to learn and progress in life is to learn from the mistakes you have made. Everyone including Mr. Mathieu should be given the opportunity to move on from their mistakes instead of being forever marked by them.

For those of you saying he needs to get away from NOLA to be successful because of influences, I disagree. If a kid with money wants to smoke weed...he is gonna find some weed to smoke. no matter what city he is in. if he wants to be a professional and enjoy a nice career, he'll resist temptation.

i think he will be there in the fourth and thats where we should pick him up. i think we'll go either OL/OLB/DT in the first. and either S/OLB in the third. not sure if he is listed as a S or CB goin into the draft, but i would love to pick him up in the fourth

This..

When did New Orleans become the only place in the world that somebody can get in trouble?

I personally would love to see the Saints pick him up, but of course it will depend on how the first round plays out. If we some how get a favorable trade back and pick up a late second round pick I hope we grab him. If the Saints stay put at 15 and he is available at our pick in the third I hope we grab him, but I doubt he makes it that far. Prior to his off the field issues he was graded out at an early second round pick, so I think its a stretch that any team would grab him in the first.

I would be willing to make a friendly bet that Mathieu ends up being a starter by his second year and that he will have a couple of impressive special teams plays in his first.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom