Tyrann Mathieu on NFL:AM (1 Viewer)

Would you cut one of our current db's if we sign him?

Why do you have to go and ask something like that??? If we signed Lewis... yeah. I'd cut one. PROB was more embarrassing but Greer is worth more. If we got Nhamdi AND Lewis???? Greer and PRob are gone, let Mathieu play nickel and dime.

He gave some bad answers in that interview.. Like not putting much effort in the bench

The comments in the profootball link are more telling to me that in SR just based on what I assume to be a more national represenation of opinion. There are both neg and piece of work opions but way more piece of work it seemed to me.

An example:

As an Eagle fan, I want him on my team.
He is the most instinctive college football
player since Ed Reed and Charles Woodson.
Everyone deserves a second chance so bring
the Badger to Philly!

He certainly didn't do himself any favors in that segment. :covri:

Saints Draft picks in the 3rd round Sean Payton Era:

2012 - Akiem Hicks
2011 - Martez Wilson, Johnny Patrick
2010 - Jimmy Graham
2009 - None
2008 - None
2007 - Usuma Young, Andy Alleman
2006 - None

From a hisory perspective we have either traded our 3rd round picks, or taken boom or bust type players in this round in the Payton era... not sure why this year would be any different.

Personally... I'd take him in the 3rd if he were there... but I don't think it's a given he won't go higher.

Just my 2 cents.

Tampa Saints Fan,

Using weed could be debated as no big deal, but being a football player who has potential to play in the NFL and potentially messing all that up because he likes to get high is just plain - well - ummmm, can I say stupid here without repercussions. I am a forgiving type of person, but I wouldn't want him on the team because of his lack of judgment. I don't trust that kind of mentality at all.

No question this kid can play football at a high level. He may be a little lacking in coverage skills but he makes up for it ten fold in instincts. Not to mention he is one of the best defensive play makers I've ever seen at any position, has better hands than most receivers, a special teams beast, and is absolutely fearless on a football field.

You have to weigh all those intangibles against his off the field issues and IMO his intangibles are too great to pass on. Which round to take him is the only question I'm left with. Glad I'm not a GM that has to make that decision because Mathieu unquestionably has first round talent.

Tampa Saints Fan,

Using weed could be debated as no big deal, but being a football player who has potential to play in the NFL and potentially messing all that up because he likes to get high is just plain - well - ummmm, can I say stupid here without repercussions. I am a forgiving type of person, but I wouldn't want him on the team because of his lack of judgment. I don't trust that kind of mentality at all.

i can respect that, but for me he would still be on my draftboard because the dude is a playmaker and their are alot of players in this league that do alot worse than smoking weed (dui's, domestic abuse, killing people, peds, packing heat) and most of these players still play. just my opinion though

Whyce then says "So what if they did draft you, how would you like to play for the Saints and be back in Louisiana" .... Mathieu pauses and says with a big smile on his face "I dunno man, we'll have to come up with... definitely a good plan to keep me out of harms way!"
This line right here is telling. to me, he hasn't gotten it yet.
You can run away from your problems, but at some point they will catch up to you. You have to face them head on. If he can't find a way to be a pro in New Orleans, it is only a matter of time until his problems find him again in another city.
Bad answer IMO, i was hoping he turned the corner.
It's possible that the quote didn't come out the way he wanted to, but I think it is quite telling.

Originally Posted by Ross_s_cfc
Whyce then says "So what if they did draft you, how would you like to play for the Saints and be back in Louisiana" .... Mathieu pauses and says with a big smile on his face "I dunno man, we'll have to come up with... definitely a good plan to keep me out of harms way!"

Are you kidding me??? NO THANKS!!!

What does a guy do who smokes weed all the time with no money do when he gets a lot of money ? I'm a big LSU and Saints fan. Don't waste a pick

I smoked weed b4 i got money.........now that I'm making more i don't smoke more weed. I just smoke better weed.

With that being said...i don't think smoking weed is his problem. I think the people he hangs with are his problem.

Weed doesn't get u into trouble besides getting stopped and having it on u. hoewver whens the last time u heard of a guy being High and shooting up a club or raping a woman or something stupid.

Im more concerned with the same people who had access to him in BR will have the same access to him in NO.

IF hes stopped smoking all the better but plenty of FB players smoke weed...they just know when not too.

Smoking weed isn't a dumb decision...........smoking weed knowing u take drug test and could lose ur job is a dumb decision.

Quite simply....... we need a playmaker in the Back 7....and he could be it.

would i take him with a 3rd. HELL YES.............we took Akiem hicks with a 3rd and he was considered more of a 4th to 5th rounder.

Things are only considered reaches when they don't pan out. Hicks panned out so no one is calling him a reach...but we got a c+ grade on several sites asking *** we were doing when we drafted him.

I could live with Jamie Collins in the 1st, Mathieu in the 3rd and someone like Manlik Watson in the 4th and a TE like Jake Stoneburner in the 5th..and possibly a Robert Geathers in the 6th.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom