Tyrannical Roger Goodell lays down the law regarding decision to go on with the draft (1 Viewer)

Just wondering for those that say the NFL Draft 'has to' to happen as scheduled because they are bored and need something to watch during that time.

Would you feel differently if it meant the team you root for failed to evaluate prospects properly / and as an end result ended up missing on a very talented, quality player that they might have been able to scout better, get a better medical evaluation on given more time?

If guys that are actually in the business like Loomis and other notable GMs are saying they need more time for their scouting departments to get the proper evaluations that they would have been able to get done in the past.. I'm going to take their word on it.

(and before you answer just Facetime, Skype the Prospects no that's not the same as actually being able to Sit down in person and get them on the Whiteboard, and ask them scheme specific questions, and certain teams actually need to have their Own team Medical staffs check a Medically flagged prospect before their teams feel confident in Unflagging them... this is coming straight from ex-scouts that worked directly with the Seahawks, and Ravens on this situation)
Yeah, sure, but the draft is a crap shoot under the best of circumstances anyway. Perhaps they'll get lucky and avoid over-thinking a player when they might have otherwise. The playing field is level, may as well sack up and rise to the occasion just like the rest of us are doing. I'm doing all sorts of unusual crap I'd rather not have to be doing to creatively generate revenue and keep my employees working right now. It is what it is.

Yes, at this point the ratings are going to be massive. As said before what else are we gonna watch on TV? Hell this will be the first time in like 4 years I'll watch live and not just have an update pop up on my phone when our pick is in.

Right now, everyone who said how would no crowd at a game be good for basketball, baseball, etc ( I was one of them)...... If they could figure out how to keep coaches and players healthy I'd watch almost any live sport on TV with no crowd in a heartbeat.

Heck all the sports could do what the Falcons do and just pump in crowd noise.

From the article:

"As Lynch said Sunday, he wanted to channel his inner Tony Dungy, who used to tell his Bucs players: “No excuses. No explanations. Get the job done.” He wanted to show his team and his peers in the business and 49er fans and maybe even the world at large: Everybody’s got problems these days. Ours are small, really. Solve them.

People have a lot bigger problems than we do, I can tell you that,” Lynch told me. “This year’s a lot different than any year scouts and GMs have had, obviously, with all the challenges. But this time of year, what you really need is time. The other day, [coach] Kyle [Shanahan] called and said, ‘This is unbelievable! I’m getting so much done.’ And he’s right. He and I, this time of year, would be watching this tape in our offices, and the difference is our doors aren’t getting knocked on 50 times a day. I’m really getting a lot done.”

This guy gets it, and basically echoed my feelings on the matter. On the flip side, alarmingly, Mickey is quoted later in the article whining about how hard it will be. Love ML, but damn, he sounds awful compared to Lynch's "can-do" attitude. This is why you shut up and just do your job. ML would do well in all respects to adhere to Roger's instructions in this instance.

And now I am going to vomit.

Mickey is quoted later in the article whining about how hard it will be. Love ML, but damn, he sounds awful

I agree. Not his finest moment. If the Saints have a bad draft, I guess he can circle back around with the “didn’t get to use my dry-erase markers or have a seance around the crystal ball” excuses. At this point, though, just rank ‘em and pick ‘em Mickey. Just rank ‘em and pick ‘em.

I can't stand Roger, but at least he has the guts to keep the NFL on schedule to open up again. If the GMs don't like the rule, oh well. Ole Rog is still the cheese whether we or they like it or not. The NFL is the only sport keeping me sane, besides distance learning, during the Wuhan Flu.

I wouldn't stop and help Roger Goodell if I saw him broke down on the side of the road...however,...continuing on with a draft seems easy enough. It can be done online with no issues. What's the problem. ps....I think the season get's cancelled anyway.

I certainly understand the other sports that have concerns about holding their drafts since the collegiate sports did not complete their seasons. Player evaluations are largely incomplete making it pretty difficult to acquire talent. Even though the Pro Days haven't completed, the NFL still has a very large pool of talent that has been evaluated already from which to draft from. It's less than ideal, but certainly not impossible.

Threatening to fine critics is just Roger being Roger. We didn't need a news article to educate us on that possibility.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom