Tyron Johnson runs 4.34 (1 Viewer)

But we already have fast WRs... We need game breaking pass catching and route running skillset. Separation is more technique, not speed.

I know the WR spot seemed weak last year, but I’m not convinced it needs to be targeted. Smith and Kirkwood were rookies. They will get better. We still have Meredith under contract, not time to give up on him. And I think we can have Dez back if we want him.

That’s not too bad. Assume TQS and Kirkwood make strides and Cook contributes at TE and things look ok. I’m more concerned about shoring up the OL and the pass rush.

But we already have fast WRs... We need game breaking pass catching and route running skillset. Separation is more technique, not speed.

I mean, technique can be taught but speed, on the field at least, can't be taught. If you can combine natural speed and technique then you have an even more dangerous deep threat than a guy that just has technique or just has speed.

And, I don't think that other than Ginn, who is getting older, that we really have a real burner at WR. I think the rest of our WRs run in the 4.5 to 4.6 range. It would be nice to have a 4.4 or faster guy.

I agree. Short area quickness is more important than pure speed at this point in SP's offense. It's been that way for the past few years. The deep ball hasn't been the same since about 2016 when Drew was able to connect with Cooks on a few great deep balls. That 98 yard TD to Cooks is one of the best passes I have ever seen. Drew threw a great deep ball but that just isn't a strength anymore.

If a guy can run a 4.34 then that's great but can he run routes, catch, and create separation? That's what I'm looking for. If they happen to be super fast or have great size that's a bonus.

I mean, technique can be taught but speed, on the field at least, can't be taught. If you can combine natural speed and technique then you have an even more dangerous deep threat than a guy that just has technique or just has speed.

And, I don't think that other than Ginn, who is getting older, that we really have a real burner at WR. I think the rest of our WRs run in the 4.5 to 4.6 range. It would be nice to have a 4.4 or faster guy.

TQS is a 4.4 guy...

Remind us how John Ross' 40 time made him a breakout NFL star again?

Just a reminder that speed alone doesn't beat heart, smarts and technique.
John Ross' time may not have helped him, but Tyreke Hill's speed sure has helped him. Ross is still young so you can't just throw in the towell on him yet. Hell, Tedd Ginn didn't come into his own until he had been in the league for awhile.

I posted info from LSU day

Anyone of these guys still going to be around by 3rd? Yes it was impressive. Devin White will be a beast in the NFL. I hope Panthers,Falcons,Bucs don’t get him!

TQS is a 4.4 guy...

He ran a 4.49 at the Combine. So, I’m going to call him a 4.5 guy.

4.5 is plenty fast enough with good quickness and strength off the line. But he’s not really a burner that blows the top off the defense. We have lacked that when Ginn has been hurt and Ginn May start to slow down at his age.

John Ross' time may not have helped him, but Tyreke Hill's speed sure has helped him. Ross is still young so you can't just throw in the towell on him yet. Hell, Tedd Ginn didn't come into his own until he had been in the league for awhile.
I think you already know that my point is simply looking at deep speed is not enough to make a player. Hill has speed and lots more besides. Ross it seems does not.

You can't play the wait and see game forever. Moritz Boehringer had ridiculous measurables but didn't know football. The Vikings let him go as a result, now he's hanging onto the fringes of the Bengals reserve/futures list.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom