Tyron Johnson runs 4.34 (1 Viewer)

I understand people are down on our wide receivers, but our wide receivers were rookies last year.

Agree. I would not give up on Kirkwood. Given the circumstances he was in he really did not do that bad. Colston had has issues back in his rookie year too. Just sayin.

I understand people are down on our wide receivers, but our wide receivers were rookies last year.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I am pretty high on our WRs. Obviously we have MT who is one of the top WRs in the game and is due a huge payday soon. Because of that we have to hit on a few bargain WRs to offset the cost of the position as a whole. This is where hitting on a guy like Kirkwood or Cobbs really helps the team. Kirkwood is molding his game after MT, that's huge. If he can get anywhere near MT's game, I'd say that is a win. TQS comes from a school that produces talented players, but he's still learning the position. I think both of these guys will continue to develop and stick around for awhile.

Cobbs is the wildcard here. At 6'3" 220lbs, he's essentially one of these big WRs that people are looking at in the draft, but at 4.6 he's not a burner. His strengths coming into the league last season was mismatch size, strong hands, red zone threat, catch radius, body control, sideline weapon, boxes out DBs, etc. The Redskins tried to stash him on their PS and only offered to move him up to the 53 man roster after we offered him. I think we have something with him. Is he our next Colston? Possibly. There's similarities in size, strengths and skillsets. It would be nice to have a bigger WR do some of the dirty work that MT currently does to help prolong his career.

The only piece we are missing is that big play, top off the defense burner. Ginn fills the role for now, but for how long.

But we already have fast WRs... We need game breaking pass catching and route running skillset. Separation is more technique, not speed.
Who? Ginn is the only fast one and he’s 33 years old!

We can use speed on the offense. Especially young speed. Meredith isn’t a speedster, neither is MT. Kamara isn’t considered really fast. Kirkwood? No. Carr no. Tre Quan? Eh. From seeing him play all year I would not consider him a speedster. He runs like he isn’t used to his body size.

Who? Ginn is the only fast one and he’s 33 years old!

We can use speed on the offense. Especially young speed. Meredith isn’t a speedster, neither is MT. Kamara isn’t considered really fast. Kirkwood? No. Carr no. Tre Quan? Eh. From seeing him play all year I would not consider him a speedster. He runs like he isn’t used to his body size.
LMAO

He and jazz Ferguson are both good late round looks
Why spend a draft pick on him when he'll be available as soon as the draft is over. I understand why he left LSU, but if he stayed then he would have at least been a good down field blocker. He fast, tall, knows 3 routes in the tree and drops as many balls as he catches. If that's what the Saints want they'd just pick up Malachi Dupree.

He ran a 4.49 at the Combine. So, I’m going to call him a 4.5 guy.

4.5 is plenty fast enough with good quickness and strength off the line. But he’s not really a burner that blows the top off the defense. We have lacked that when Ginn has been hurt and Ginn May start to slow down at his age.

Yea we need to add 1 more deep threat to this offense. Payton has always had 2 burners that can threaten deep. Adding one more would complete and compliment our core perfectly. Andy Isabella in the 2nd is my guy.

Tyron Johnson running a 4.34 is shocking. When he came out of high school in 2015 as a five star prospect it wasn't for his speed. It was because he could run the full route tree, separate from anyone, catch everything including making spectacular catches, as well as his running ability after the catch. He was considered more quick than fast coming out of high school. It was never reported he had 4.3 kind of speed when he signed with LSU. I believe most people thought he was a 4.50 kind of guy. Again, the 4.34 is surprising to me.

The one thing I don't know about him is if he has a sense of entitlement or if he's a ball hog as in one of those, "throw me the darn ball" kind of guys. I think he's extremely self confident, and probably for good reason, but perhaps a malcontent at times. I'm not saying he is. I'm just wondering about this as I think he should have done more at OSU. I totally understood him leaving LSU b/c I don't think he wanted to go there in the first place. LSU's pass offense was pure garbage when he was there. But again, at Oklahoma State it seems as if he should have done much more.

Having said all of that, I would definitely draft the guy. He's certainly not "just a speed guy."

Last edited:
But we already have fast WRs... We need game breaking pass catching and route running skillset. Separation is more technique, not speed.
597, what team are you referring to, we all ready have speed, Ted is the only guy that looks like he might be able to get under 4.4 and with his age he might not be able to anymore. Speed is definitely a need on this team, But with Brees arm strength diminishing speed might not be that important.

Agree. I would not give up on Kirkwood. Given the circumstances he was in he really did not do that bad. Colston had has issues back in his rookie year too. Just sayin.

Uhh Colston has 70 and 1000...but I do agree that Kirkwood has serious upside.

MT13
Ginn
TQS
Kirkwood
Meredith
Carr

I don’t see any need for WRs
Simmie Cobbs Jr.
Travin Dural

Those 2 are also on the roster as well. Outside of Ginn and TQS on paper is faster than MT, Kirkwood, Meredith, Carr, Cobbs and Dural we don't have a WR with gamebreaking speed. The offense was great last season, but then it limped into the playoffs. It's quite possible that someone to take the top off the defense was a missing piece as it has always been a piece this offense has had.

Simmie Cobbs Jr.
Travin Dural

Those 2 are also on the roster as well. Outside of Ginn and TQS on paper is faster than MT, Kirkwood, Meredith, Carr, Cobbs and Dural we don't have a WR with gamebreaking speed. The offense was great last season, but then it limped into the playoffs. It's quite possible that someone to take the top off the defense was a missing piece as it has always been a piece this offense has had.

I left them off on purpose. I don’t see either having a chance to make this team.

I think we could add a speedster to replace Ginn, but TQS is fine and fast. Remember he was clocked fastest MPH in the NCAA his year.

We don’t have a sexy name as a #2, but I think our cast of WRs is plenty good enough. If Meredith is healthy he is definitely capable of being the #2.

Everyone loves WRs because they’re loud and flashy, but typically the quiet grinders lead to more success. Look at the Patriots, absolute no-namers. Opposed to OBJ, AB, etc. who grab all the headlines but don’t make the team better.

WR is probably the least important position on the field, as long as you have some guys with reliable hands who are willing blockers in the run game you are fine. The big name WRs in today’s game almost have zero impact on overall team success

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom