U.N. sleuths find plutonium at Iran atom site: IAEA (1 Viewer)

Dave

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
VIENNA (Reuters) - U.N. inspectors have found traces of plutonium, of possible use in atom bombs, at an Iranian nuclear waste site as Tehran pursues a nuclear program despite the risk of sanctions, an IAEA report said on Tuesday.

The International Atomic Energy Agency report, obtained by Reuters, also said the U.N. watchdog still could not confirm Iran's nuclear intentions were entirely peaceful given its continued stonewalling of IAEA inquiries dating to 2003.

IAEA inspectors detected bits of plutonium in samples of particles of highly enriched uranium (HEU) taken earlier from containers at the Karaj atomic waste facility near Tehran. In larger amounts, plutonium and HEU can detonate atom bombs.

In response to IAEA queries, Iran said the HEU could have come from spent fuel from a Tehran light-water research reactor, the report said. Iran on Monday provided an explanation of the "slight plutonium contamination" now being assessed by the IAEA.
http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...KOC_0_US-NUCLEAR-IRAN-IAEA.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

No, they foud plutonium in Iran,,, no way.,,,... really.

I guess the next thing he'll say is that it's for peaceful purposes. Like little peices of you and me.

In a waste dump?

It needs to be fully checked out, but anyone can plant something in a waste dump.

You would think if they had a program like that they would have the equipment to measure any such traces and that they would not release anything from their secret facitlies that would tip off what they are doing.

They are either careless or getting framed.

Framed seems pretty far-fetched.

Sloppy, yes. And why not? There's no credible deterrent for them to stop their program, save the possibility of an Isreali military action, which seems unlikely to me under current circumstances. Europe is not going to put any muscle into it, and neither is a neutered/struggling Bush administration.

I don't know that there's any way to stop a nuclear Iran. Hell, they might even already be a nuclear power - that might explain a lot, actually.

Framed seems pretty far-fetched.

Sloppy, yes. And why not? There's no credible deterrent for them to stop their program, save the possibility of an Isreali military action, which seems unlikely to me under current circumstances. Europe is not going to put any muscle into it, and neither is a neutered/struggling Bush administration.

I don't know that there's any way to stop a nuclear Iran. Hell, they might even already be a nuclear power - that might explain a lot, actually.

Nothing is far-fetched anymore.

If I were looking for a way to gin up the case against Iran, one operation I would look into is how to get an unexplained trace of plutonium into an area I knew the IAEA would be looking.

Hell, the UN inspection teams in Iraq were infiltrated by the CIA, which is one of the reasons that Saddam played so many cat and mouse games with them:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,864782,00.html

Of course, the fact that he was stonewalling enemy spies was spun that he was hiding a WMD program, when in fact the program had been wound down years before.

There is no reason to the think that the CIA, or the Mossad, is not in a position to pull something like this off in Iran. We know that they were piggy backing on the UN in Iraq.

Fool me once, shame on you...

It just seems to me there is no need to frame a guy that is more than happy to tell you that he's guilty as sin.

As you have said, it makes perfect sense for Iran to pursue nuclear weapons.

The only question left is what the rest of the world is willing to do about it. Answer: not much. :dunno:

In a waste dump?

It needs to be fully checked out, but anyone can plant something in a waste dump.

You would think if they had a program like that they would have the equipment to measure any such traces and that they would not release anything from their secret facitlies that would tip off what they are doing.

They are either careless or getting framed.

People also thought that the Soviets would have built their nuclear plants safe enough so they would not melt down. Sometimes people cut corners to appease their leaders and their deadlines.

It just seems to me there is no need to frame a guy that is more than happy to tell you that he's guilty as sin.

As you have said, it makes perfect sense for Iran to pursue nuclear weapons.

The only question left is what the rest of the world is willing to do about it. Answer: not much. :dunno:

I would want one if I were them.

The need to reinforce the doubt is to create the conditions for the pre-emptive strike.

A covert operation could do that.

If the program exists, there is no clear evidence of it, or else Condi Rice would have gone to the UN with here own Power Point and slide show to lay it out.

Absent the evidence that proves the existence of the programs, there is the desire to create full acceptance of the idea that it must be there anyway. This puts Iran, like Iraq before it, in the position of proving a negative -- proving that something DOES NOT exist, which they can't do.

Cue the bombers.

I keep getting this picture of Bush fiddling away on the White House balcony - as the world goes to hell.

I keep getting this picture of Bush fiddling away on the White House balcony - as the world goes to hell.

What exactly can he do?

The usual suspects will say, "Attack Iran!" But that will set them back only a few years.

It would take something much more drastic, like a ground invasion into Iran and occupying the Southwestern part of Iran, where most of their oil is. This would deprive Iran of the income that is its life blood and would probably be the only way to permanently undercut their technological development.

Of course, that would likely require us to institute the draft, or at a minimum to pull troops out of Germany and Korea. Expenditures for our already bankrupt Treasury would be enormous.

The intervening war would likely be destructive and cause oil prices to skyrocket.

And in the end we will have proved everyone who says we are only after the oil to be correct.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom