U.S. Army to Recruit Ugandans. (1 Viewer)

I'd like to see the stats on recruited vs. accepted.

Seems to be reaching new levels and actively approaching new countries where economics would be a powerful incentive to sign on to the project.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1226/dailyUpdate.html

I don't have the stats nor am I inclined to search for them at this time. However, I have personally worked with, for, or supervised Hondurans, Jamaicans (2), Bahamians, Canadians, Thais, Koreans, Vietnamese, Filipino, Arubans, Mexicans, Nigerians, and a Kenyan. And that's just in the Air Force. Notice how I didn't hyphenate that with American? Some later became naturalized citizens, but many were outright foreigners. This is really much ado about nothing. We've done it for years on end.

I really don't see why this is even newsworthy. Brittney Spears' dad must have her on the straight and narrow.

I don't have the stats nor am I inclined to search for them at this time. However, I have personally worked with, for, or supervised Hondurans, Jamaicans (2), Bahamians, Canadians, Thais, Koreans, Vietnamese, Filipino, Arubans, Mexicans, Nigerians, and a Kenyan. And that's just in the Air Force. Notice how I didn't hyphenate that with American? Some later became naturalized citizens, but many were outright foreigners. This is really much ado about nothing. We've done it for years on end.

I really don't see why this is even newsworthy. Brittney Spears' dad must have her on the straight and narrow.

Same here. I supervised 2 Russians, 1 Nicaraguan, 1 Belizian(sp?), numerous Mexicans, a Canadian, and a guy from Kansas.:hihi:

It's newsworthy because it might indicate an increased reliance on non-US citizens which carries with it its own security impications, questions of motivation, etc.

It's one thing to accept unsolicited volunteers from other countries. It says something else when you make a big effort to attract them by expanding recruiting centers outside the U.S., especially to places where you know the priniciple motivation in signing up is economic desperation.

It's whole new dimension to "offshoring" and "outsourcing."

You can pair it up with this news and draw your own conclsions about significance or newsworthiness:

More Army recruits require 'conduct' waivers

By Jim Michaels, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — The percentage of recruits requiring a waiver to join the Army because of a criminal record or other past misconduct has more than doubled since 2004 to one for every eight new soldiers.

The increase reflects the difficulties the Army faces in attracting young men and women into the military at a time of war. "Each month is a struggle, for the Army in particular," said Bill Carr, a top military personnel official.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2008-04-06-Waiver_N.htm

Last edited:
Military recruitment has issues to face in every direction. The military is stretched thin, we are sending the national guard to Iraq and border patrol guys, next thing we will be sending local police there. The military is desperate for soldiers and I don't understand why they just refuse to open up the prospect of a draft. They have to compete against "american" mercenary outfits that are willing to pay soldiers atleast twice as much. The foreigners that are a part of our military even their recruitment is on the decline. Guys that are in the military are serving longer tours and more frequent tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not only do they have problems recruiting but they have problems keeping the guys they have already. People don't look at the military as a career option these days. What gets me is they lower the standards and accept criminals, foreigners, and God knows what else yet they still have problems filling the ranks. I will not be surprised to here them offer amnesty to prisoners currently serving in prison if they join the military. Sorry for the rant.

Military recruitment has issues to face in every direction. The military is stretched thin, we are sending the national guard to Iraq and border patrol guys, next thing we will be sending local police there. The military is desperate for soldiers and I don't understand why they just refuse to open up the prospect of a draft. They have to compete against "american" mercenary outfits that are willing to pay soldiers atleast twice as much. The foreigners that are a part of our military even their recruitment is on the decline. Guys that are in the military are serving longer tours and more frequent tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not only do they have problems recruiting but they have problems keeping the guys they have already. People don't look at the military as a career option these days. What gets me is they lower the standards and accept criminals, foreigners, and God knows what else yet they still have problems filling the ranks. I will not be surprised to here them offer amnesty to prisoners currently serving in prison if they join the military. Sorry for the rant.
We've been sending local police to train the IP for over 4 years now. Tour lengths for the Army is slated to go down. Yes, the Army has had recruiting problems. Meanwhile, the Air Force and Navy are still forcing people out. Thankfully the "Blue to Green" program allows Airmen and Sailors to continue their careers in the Army. The Marines are still meeting their recruitment goals.

I have issues with the lowering of standards even though I'm not in the Army. That is true. But the recruitment of foreigners into the US Armed Forces is as old as the Continental Army itself.

There were five Mexican nationals, a Swede and a guy from the Dominican Republic in my Marine platoon in boot camp...in 1975.

The Army, lowering standards? You're kidding right? :hihi:

Yes, for Desert Storm, my Army training academy was occasionally issued unofficial directives to let certain things slide that we didn't let slide before.

Likewise, during the downsizing afterward, we tightened up the standards until they squeeked.

That's the Army...realists.

"I'm not going to tell you what to do, Sergeant. But, if anybody from this particular unit bolos and washes out of the course, they will not be replaced. The unit will lose the slot and the funding for that slot and it will go elsewhere. Understand? R-I-F?"

"Sir, yes, sir. I understand."

As far as I am concerned, the second you pick up a rifle and say to me "I am willing to risk my life for you and your Country." You are just as much an American as I am.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom