U.S. Justice Dept. review of "oranges" of Russia probe now a criminal investigation (1 Viewer)

DJ1BigTymer

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

U.S. Attorney General William Barr launched a review earlier this year to investigate President Donald Trump’s complaints that his campaign was improperly targeted by U.S. intelligence and law enforcement agencies during the 2016 election.

Democrats and some former law enforcement officials say Barr is using the Justice Department to chase unsubstantiated conspiracy theories that could benefit the Republican president politically and undermine former Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation.
As part of his inquiry, Barr has asked Australian and British justice officials for assistance and visited Italy twice, meeting intelligence agents in Rome in August and September to learn more about people mentioned in Mueller’s report.
Mueller’s investigation found that Moscow interfered in the 2016 election to help Trump, and led to criminal convictions of several former campaign aides. But Mueller concluded that he did not have enough evidence to establish a criminal conspiracy with Russia.
This should be fun.

I would have thought the attack on our nation would warrant an investigation. I guess that it is more important to cast doubt upon the men and women that have sworn to protect this nation than it is to disparage dear leader. I do wonder what they used as a probable cause to open a criminal investigation, if I had to guess, it would probably be the texts between Strzok and Page.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Barr is such a piece of work. This is timed in a way to be a distraction from the current impeachment inquiry. It allows the Trumpette’s to say “see, there’s the real problem!” And gives Trump some easy Twitter bait for the cult.

Our institutions won’t survive 4 more years of these pieces of trash.

TheRealJRad

The Artist Formerly Known as AgentJRad
Staff member
Tech-Admin
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Witch hunt!
Waste of taxpayer money!

That’s how this works, right? If this comes up with absolutely nothing, we’re going to hear about the waste of time and money it was? How it was nothing but a political move?

Basically, I echo SBtB’s sentiments.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is totalitarian state behavior.

Trump is a worry, yes, but his enablers are far worse of a concern.
People like to say "It can't happen here." My homies, it's happening right now.

We are stealing children and putting them in camps.
We've tossed trans people out of the military, taken their jobs, for no reason but that Dear Leader thinks they're icky.
Judgeships and Cabinet posts are going to unqualified toadies.
Other positions are going unfilled entirely or being filled with 'acting' leadership that has no accountability.
The power and apparatus of the State is being turned to Dear Leader's personal ends while his national decisions grow more and more demented.
Dear Leader's family is sucking up every dollar they can, all over the world for their own ends.

That shirt isn't in some imaginary future, folks. It's the nightmare present.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In theory it is legitimate to question whether federal investigators improperly targeted a particular campaign - although from what we have seen in quite a bit of review is that there were some accurate and worrisome alarms flashing about foreign activity in favor of that campaign.

Typically these kinds of in-house reviews start with an IG's office that makes criminal referrals if warranted - turning the front-line investigating agent staff on your own activities is unusual.

The problem here, though, is that the political actors involved (Trump, Barr, etc.) have shown that they start with conclusions they believe are in their interests and work backward. That means that the objective here isn't likely to find out if any inappropriate or illegal activity occurred, it is likely to find a person or people to charge with that activity so that they can say their theories (which to date have been mostly discredited) are correct and the Trump campaign was indeed the victim.

And that's a really troublesome road to go down.

The Moose

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score

This should be fun.

I would have thought the attack on our nation would warrant an investigation. I guess that it is more important to cast doubt upon the men and women that have sworn to protect this nation than it is to disparage dear leader. I do wonder what they used as a probable cause to open a criminal investigation, if I had to guess, it would probably be the texts between Strzok and Page.

I don't know how this can be necessary.

So in essence this is about the ? ? ? ?. The make the orange guy happy? To make said asshat feel good about his shady win.

I can't see how it would have any change in the actual effect on the outcome.

Russia did effect the election. When every government agency is in agreement that Russia did.

OP
DJ1BigTymer

DJ1BigTymer

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I don't know how this can be necessary.

So in essence this is about the ? ? ? ?. The make the orange guy happy? To make said asshat feel good about his shady win.

I can't see how it would have any change in the actual effect on the outcome.

Russia did effect the election. When every government agency is in agreement that Russia did.
It is trump's belief that all of our intelligence agencies are corrupt and to prove his point, he has Putin's word that it wasn't him.

JimEverett

Reaction score

This should be fun.

I do wonder what pushed this into a full-fledged criminal investigation. Might have something to do with the IG's report that seems to be complete or very near completion?

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I do wonder what pushed this into a full-fledged criminal investigation. Might have something to do with the IG's report that seems to be complete or very near completion?
If that's the case, there would be an IG referral . . . though those can happen prior to completion of the IG report.

JimEverett

Reaction score
If that's the case, there would be an IG referral . . . though those can happen prior to completion of the IG report.
Could be a referral.

The IG's investigation can only cover Justice actions, right? What if that investigation uncovered potential wrongdoing from an agency outside Justice, say CIA - would you need a referral to begin such investigation?

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is what one of the Republican Congressmen speculated on FOX this morning. I can't remember exactly who it was.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Could be a referral.

The IG's investigation can only cover Justice actions, right? What if that investigation uncovered potential wrongdoing from an agency outside Justice, say CIA - would you need a referral to begin such investigation?
I don't think it's some threshold requirement, but I think the administrative protocol would likely be to make a referral.

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It was always destined to be a criminal investigation no matter what. It was pretty much pre-ordained as one. The timing of this leak/announcement is just to deflect attention for the impeachment probe and give Trump twitter fodder to make accusations with in order to defend himself.

I wish I wasn't so cynical and could actually trust that this was legitimate, but they make it to obvious that it's not.

Dave

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Could be a referral.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom