U.S. National Team vs Mexico in Houston (1 Viewer)

Ha. Yeah.

I guess its better than empty seats, though. Hopefully we can get enough people out there to have a good showing from Uncle Sam's Army.

Its better than Azteca.

Gearing up for a good game. The US just downed Sweden 2-0.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=500063&cc=5901

CARSON, Calif. -- Landon Donovan drew closer to the U.S. career goal record, and Eddie Robinson scored his first international goal in the Americans' 2-0 exhibition victory over Sweden on Saturday night.

"The guys are happy because we had a tough two weeks," Robinson said of the extended training camp. "There was a lot of fitness, a lot of running because none of us have played in a couple of months."

Robinson, making his international debut, gave the United States a 1-0 lead in the 15th minute. Pat Noonan deflected Brad Davis's corner kick off Swedish goalkeeper Rami Shaaban, and Robinson converted from five yards.

U.S. coach Bob Bradley attributed his team's success in the first half to Donovan.

Last edited:
Hmmm...not that many big names but, hey, its the US vs Mexico. These are just the 21 people brought in for camp and no Euro players are on the roster, so maybe more will be added on later....?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=501808&cc=5901

Bradley's roster:

Goalkeepers: Steve Cronin, Brad Guzan, Will Hesmer, Zach Wells.

Defenders: Dan Califf, Jimmy Conrad, Ramiro Corrales, Todd Dunivant, Clarence Goodson, Drew Moor, Michael Parkhurst, Eddie Robinson.

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman, Ricardo Clark, Brad Davis, Justin Mapp, Pat Noonan.

Forwards: Landon Donovan, Chris Rolfe, Taylor Twellman, Jeremiah White.

Bradley brings in 12 Europe-based players for Mexico

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=504640&cc=5901

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton, England)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham, England), Ramiro Corrales (Brann, Norway), Drew Moor (Dallas), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege, Belgium), Michael Parkhurst (New England), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock, Germany), Eddie Robinson (Houston)

Midfielders: Freddy Adu (Benfica, Portugal), Michael Bradley (Heerenveen, Netherlands), Ricardo Clark (Houston), Bobby Convey (Reading, England), Brian Davis (Houston), Maurice Edu (Toronto), Benny Feilhaber (Derby, England), Stuart Holden (Houston), Eddie Lewis (Derby, England)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (New York), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Pat Noonan (Aalesund, Norway)

Here's a look at the new National Team Jersey:

Last edited:
....and the opposition:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=503986&cc=5901

Goalkeepers: Luis Michel (Guadalajara), Moises Munoz (Morelia), Guillermo Ochoa (America)

Defenders: Israel Castro (Pumas), Jonny Magallon (Guadalajara), Rafael Marquez (Barcelona, Spain), Fausto Pinto (Pachuca), Oscar Rojas (America), Carlos Salcido (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands)

Midfielders: Fernando Arce (Santos Laguna), Andres Guardado (Deportivo La Coruna, Spain), Antonio Naelson (Toluca), Pavel Pardo (Stuttgart, Germany), Gerardo Torrado (Cruz Azul)

Forwards: Adolfo Bautista (Jaguares), Juan Carlos Cacho (Pachuca), Giovanni Dos Santos (Barcelona), Antonio de Nigris (Ankaraspor, Turkey), Carlos Vela (Osasuna, Spain)

My hopeful starting line-up

-------------------------Howard------------------------
Pearce---Bocanegra--Onyewu------Parkhurst
-------------------Bradley---Clark---------------------
Dempsey------------Adu------------------Feilhaber
------------------------Altidore----------------------------

Ah, going with the 4-5-1? Nice.

It'll be great to finally see Pearce play. I've been really interested in seeing him a Simek, but they havn't used them much on the National level and everytime I see an EPL game with Pearce he doesn't play until the 80th minute.

Cherundolo's out so seeing Parkhurst would be nice....but the FC Dallas fan of me wants Moor...

Dempsey and Convey are enigmas too me. Dempsey because you just don't know if he should be on the wing or as a forward. I like how you put him on the wing but it looks like Bob might have different plans. Convey is great on the video games, had hot flashes in 2000, but also has REALLY cold spurts and has been injured a lot the past 8 years. I guess Beasley has that spot locked down when he gets healthy anyway....

I think mine would go (pretty much like yours):

----------------------------------------Howard--------------------------
Pearce----------------Bocanegra--------Onyewu-------Moor (?)
Dempsey-----Bradley (back)----Adu (up)---------Convey (?)
----------------Donovan (back)------------Altidore (up)------------

Less D but with a lot of fire power and fun to watch.

I think Donovan is by far are best guy outside of goal and he tears the Mexicans apart when he plays them. That's what I would like but something tells me Altidore and Adu will be coming off the bench with Clark and Feilhaber in and Dempsey up.

This is one of the best rivalries in soccer these days. Terribly underrated.

My starting lineup:

---------------------Ochoa--------------------
Castro---Salcido----Marquez----Pinto
--------Torrado---Nelson----Pardo--------
--------Giovanni--DeNigris---Vela--------

If by any chance, Guardado gets healthy I will put him in the midfield and leave Vela in the bench.

I still do not trust Hugo Sanchez, but I think we may have the best group of young players in the history of the country.

I like having Altidore in from the beginning. I want to see what he can do for a full game. If i were to add Donovan in the game, I would switch him with Feilhaber. Dempsey is so much more effective on the wing in my opinion. He needs to be running at people. Donovan is also pretty good on the wing and usually does well against Mexico.

I agree, man. This team has had some great defense in the past but not enough play makers and scorers (not since McBride). Donovan and Dempsey have been about it. If Adu and Altidore could start taking over games while the defense still plays nice....good things may be coming in 2010.

Yeah, we've always played too much like England (zzzzzzzzzzzz). With Dempsey, Adu, and sometimes Donovan we are starting to adapt more to that South American soccer. The real beautiful game.

:UNCLESAM:

Looks like Twellmen's out. In a way that's bad because he's a good player but then again, its good chances for Altidore to start. Adu amy be a sub but that might make him llok good with the opposition tiring down....though it looks like there's another American playing that has more riding on this game in regards to signing with a big Euro club:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3229602&name=chang_jen

Right now there's only one American player playing abroad that is garnering all the attention and that of course is midfielder Michael Bradley. The son of the U.S. coach has erased beyond all doubt any suggestion by his critics that he owes his place in the national team solely due to his last name. He's currently in the midst of a goal-scoring streak of epic proportions. This past weekend, he scored his 12th goal of the season for Heerenveen and currently ranks fourth in the league. How impressive a tally is that? Well, consider he's tied with Feyenoord's Roy Makaay, a striker of some note, with that total. There's no doubt that Bradley's destined for a move this summer with a host of big-name clubs (and I don't mean Reading and Fulham) currently watching him -- the only question that remains at this point is just how good can he be? Are we witnessing the emergence of a true world-class player for the U.S.?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom