Ubisoft (and others) don't want EGM reviewing their games anymore (2 Viewers)

oh well, i don't generally read game reviews anyway.......it's hard to trust someone's opinion when all they do is play every video game.....that might sound weird, but think about it.....it takes a lot to impress someone who plays for 10 hours a day, and is being paid for it.....these guys expect games to be perfect.....

it's why i have gamefly....i need to make my own opinions

and i do enjoy many of ubisoft's titles....

Last edited:
I guess who needs reviewers when game demos are so easy?

It's so nice to be able to download a demo and see for yourself.

I can see the point of the publishers -- they have millions invested and some snot-nosed reviewer with an agenda can ruin them.

The only downside to that is I feel that many of the games today are very lacking in content. Even some of the best of games are too short. You'll never know that from the demo. While I always make up my own mind about each game I get (be it purchase or rental) I enjoy hopping between the many raters to see what they think. Of course, nothing has proven a better rating system than this board. It takes some time to find the people who like games like I do, but then I can almost always trust what they say.

I guess my main problem with reviewers is that they seem to be easily impressed.

Same with this board. I'm not trying to start a huge argument, but I think all gamers are too easily impressed. Not when it comes to graphics, but specifically when it comes to story and gameplay.

Take Bioshock, for example. All the reviewers and people on this board (myself somewhat included) thought that the story was great. But to me, that should be the baseline of what video games should be, not the game of the year.

Honestly, they spend millions on these games. There are thousands of creative writers and creative people out there -- no game should ever lack from the story perspective.

I guess my main problem with reviewers is that they seem to be easily impressed.

Same with this board. I'm not trying to start a huge argument, but I think all gamers are too easily impressed. Not when it comes to graphics, but specifically when it comes to story and gameplay.

Take Bioshock, for example. All the reviewers and people on this board (myself somewhat included) thought that the story was great. But to me, that should be the baseline of what video games should be, not the game of the year.

Honestly, they spend millions on these games. There are thousands of creative writers and creative people out there -- no game should ever lack from the story perspective.

Agreed.

the thing about gaming reviews is everyone has their pet peeves as to what a game should have to be called a great game. For example, my personal tastes, if the combat is poorly donr in a game firing weapons, I will flat out not like the game. This is one reason I just couldn't get into Mass effect. I realised its role-playing and not a true fps, but don't involve guns in a game if you're not gonna do the combat right..my 2 cents and my personal preference.

anyways...

I find reviewers, if the budget of a game is high and they get lots of hands-on time with the product before release, rarely, if ever give the game a bad rating even if it totally sucks.

I tend watch all the videos, play a demo if possible, and read all the reviews and pay close, close attention to the CONS of the game...reviews, even biased ones, will give off subtle clues to a games problems that could really bother my personal tastes of what I like in a game.

Last edited:

No I agree with you, I guess I have the benefit of never purchasing games on or near realease date. As I've gotten older, the need to have a game right away goes away and I've pretty much stopped following upcoming releases all together. I agree that the demos and the previews and many initial reviews definitely can be characterized as looking at a game through polarizing glasses (hey I think I made up a new term), in the fact that a game likely isn't as good as they think nor is a game as bad as they think. So three months down the line, all of that stuff has shaken out and you get much closer to the truth of a game.

Best game I ever played was Metal Gear Solid for PS2. I am hoping the new one for PS3 is just as great which I believe it will be better. Also, GTA IV should be great too. Those are the only games I would buy without having to worry about gameplay suffering. I buy other games for online purposes or just to check them out. I don't read many reviews on games and if I do its from a forum such as this and not some magazine.

Agreed.

the thing about gaming reviews is everyone has their pet peeves as to what a game should have to be called a great game. For example, my personal tastes, if the combat is poorly donr in a game firing weapons, I will flat out not like the game. This is one reason I just couldn't get into Mass effect. I realised its role-playing and not a true fps, but don't involve guns in a game if you're not gonna do the combat right..my 2 cents and my personal preference.

anyways...

I find reviewers, if the budget of a game is high and they get lots of hands-on time with the product before release, rarely, if ever give the game a bad rating even if it totally sucks.

I tend watch all the videos, play a demo if possible, and read all the reviews and pay close, close attention to the CONS of the game...reviews, even biased ones, will give off subtle clues to a games problems that could really bother my personal tastes of what I like in a game.

Gameplay does matter most. I also didn't like Mass Effect for the same reason.

As I've gotten older, the need to have a game right away goes away and I've pretty much stopped following upcoming releases all together.

I'm exactly opposite. I'm a fairly new gamer, and while I buy very few games, I watch upcoming releases like a hawk and have a few I can't wait to buy. Of course, I got an XBox 360 to play Rainbow Six Vegas and I'm not 98.

I'm exactly opposite. I'm a fairly new gamer, and while I buy very few games, I watch upcoming releases like a hawk and have a few I can't wait to buy. Of course, I got an XBox 360 to play Rainbow Six Vegas and I'm not 98.

When I was in HS and college I was on top of everything, from buying a PS2 on ebay to checking teh interwebs constantly for new games and watching previews and reviews nonstop. I got my 360 for Oblivion because it was talked up so much all over the place. I still check out gamespot and all those types of sites, but to check on the games that are already out. Pretty much all I need to know about upcoming games will be posted here or at least a link will be posted here. I'd say the only upcoming game that I know anything about and am excited for is the new Star Wars game. That looks bad ***. Everything else is pretty much surviving the intial wave of hype to still being a good game at which point I'll check it out, or I'll look into new games when I'm done with my last one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom