Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx (1 Viewer)

llama

Very Banned
Reaction score
:worthy:

I upgraded via `update-manager -d` and have had one issue only which was reinstalling the Brother debs for my scanner and resetting the config file. Other than that I am impressed.

Anyone else upgrade yet?

:worthy:

I upgraded via `update-manager -d` and have had one issue only which was reinstalling the Brother debs for my scanner and resetting the config file. Other than that I am impressed.

Anyone else upgrade yet?

No, but I'm itching to! Saw the beta came out March 18, but haven't had a chance to do it yet. I've had problems with with 9.10 since the day it was installed, but I know I'm not the only one. Been hearing how stable 9.04 was, and looking forward to the LTS of 10.04, but kind of afraid of solving one problem in exchange for a new one. Your report is encouraging though...

what machine did you install on? specs?

A 1.5 year-old Dell 1525 laptop with 4GiB RAM. It's a Core-2 Duo model that originally shipped with Vista.

A 1.5 year-old Dell 1525 laptop with 4GiB RAM. It's a Core-2 Duo model that originally shipped with Vista.

Wow, that's kind of impressive that a Beta runs so well on a newer machine with such minimal tweaking. I think you're gonna force my hand to upgrade before the official release date!

On a side note, can't say that I blame you for replacing Vista in such a hurry, he, he, he!

Just did a fresh install, everything went smooth until I went to install samba. One step is to make changes to smb.conf, then restart samba with;

/etc/init.d/samba restart

Well, I got a "command not found." Ok, that was a head-scratcher. So I googled and found this;

Two things have happened - "upstart" has replaced the old way of starting services and the "samba" service has been replaced by the old way of separating the smbd and nmbd daemons.

So the way you need to restart samba is now this way:

sudo service smbd restart
sudo service nmbd restart

I'm not quite sure why they changed that or if anything else is affected like that. Everything else, like mysql, postfix, courier, etc I've been able to restart the old-fashioned way with /etc/init.d/whatever.

Just thought this would be a nice-to-know that I should pass on.

Also, I should pass on that there is no longer a need to configure the Medibuntu repository.

Upgraded from 9.10 in hopes of better driver support for Realtek Wireless card. Still only get a 16% signal strength with wireless router in same room ~10ft away. My laptop with Intel wireless sitting right next to pc gets 100% signal strength.
Still a no go with 10.04 and realtek wireless.
Other than that one little issue (although it's a huge issue on that pc) I am loving me some Lucid!

I've been running Lucid in a Virtual Machine for about 1 month now, with minimal to no issues. Not many known issues being reported and seems pretty stable in a VM.

I've had problems with 9.10 install since the very beginning of my Linux experience and recently learned it's almost completely due to a blacklisted Intel video card by Compiz; even workarounds don't work!

Upon reading that compiz manager has been replaced (so excited to hear that, I forgot what the replacemnet was), I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 today, via Update Manager. So far, so good, but too soon to say for certain...

On a side note, I really like the new purple color scheme branding...the old brown really did blow! The OSX style windows were a little "off" at first, but I've quickly gotten used to them. All in all, I really like it a LOT and encourage any other Linux fans to give it a look-see. Maybe this is the Linux flavor to actually put a noticeable "dent" in the Apple/Mac and MS/Win market shares?!! Let's put the word out!!!!!

lucid linux has inspired me to change my desktop quad core over entirely. i disliked the ultimate edition 2.7 due to the bloat. i am a newbie in linux but so far 0 issues whatsoever. i want rhythymbox in windows as my default player!

Loaded ubuntu 10.04 on to this old HP550 laptop with a celeron processor and 3gb of RAM about a month ago. Complete newb so, the first thing I notice with the first boot is that the wireless card isn't recognized so,, I get irritated with it and over the course of a month browse for solutions half heartedly.

Turns out all I had to do was connect Ethernet cord and search for drivers... >.<

Ubuntu is awesome. I can't believe it's free... I think I love this OS.

i loved it until i realized its very limited because i really dont want to **** with wine every time i want to play a windows game.

i loved it until i realized its very limited because i really dont want to **** with wine every time i want to play a windows game.

install VirtualBox, then install your windows system as a VM in VirtualBox, then install your windows games on the windows VM. Even windows VM appear to be more stable when running in a Linux environment.

install VirtualBox, then install your windows system as a VM in VirtualBox, then install your windows games on the windows VM. Even windows VM appear to be more stable when running in a Linux environment.

Nope. Not going to work too well. I'm sure you could play some older, less graphically intense video games (and they would have to be 2d) but anything fairly new is not going to work with the Virtual box video driver. There is supposed to be a brand new driver that allows 3d graphics but I have yet to hear any good word on it.
If he wants to play windows games while in Linux he can go with the aformentioned WINE or he can try transgaming's CEDEGA or PlayOnLinux. His "best" option is to create a small partition and install windows and dual boot. Or he can just play games made for linux only!

I just wiped out my old HP DV4000 series. Bye-bye XP. Hello Ubuntu 10.04. Bye-bye internal wi-fi. Hello stealing son's USB wi-fi antenna which works fine.

eaux-yeah...help please. Pretty please.

Signed,
Ubuntu Idiot User

*-network:0
description: Network controller
product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 5
bus info: pci@0000:06:05.0
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master
configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=128
resources: irq:20 memory:b0104000-b0105fff
*-network:1
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 7
bus info: pci@0000:06:07.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 00:16:d3:02:50:19
size: 10MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 duplex=half latency=128 link=no maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
resources: irq:20 ioport:3000(size=256) memory:b010a400-b010a4ff
*-network:0 DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:14:a5:79:ef:f3
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
*-network:1
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 2
logical name: wlan1
serial: 00:22:75:4d:bf:7b
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes ip=192.168.2.4 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom