Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx (1 Viewer)

10.10 shows a driver available, but fails to install it. :(

for what? i had to reboot 2 times in order to install my nvidia driver. reboot, then try again

damn, my broadcom driver is generic, i guess. sorry bro.

eaux-yeah...help please. Pretty please.

Signed,
Ubuntu Idiot User

*-network:0
description: Network controller
product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 5
bus info: pci@0000:06:05.0
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master
configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=128
resources: irq:20 memory:b0104000-b0105fff
*-network:1
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 7
bus info: pci@0000:06:07.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 00:16:d3:02:50:19
size: 10MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 duplex=half latency=128 link=no maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
resources: irq:20 ioport:3000(size=256) memory:b010a400-b010a4ff
*-network:0 DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:14:a5:79:ef:f3
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
*-network:1
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 2
logical name: wlan1
serial: 00:22:75:4d:bf:7b
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes ip=192.168.2.4 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg

Guys, if there's one thing I've learned here, it's NEVER use a beta to fix an issue like a driver. Beta's have tons of issues already. That's why it's in the beta stage.

Bulldawg, it looks like the network:0 is disabled. Did you go into Network Manager and enable it? Just wanted to ask. I don't use wireless so I'm not really up on it. There's another thread down below where someone was having issues with an older system and fixed the problem by upgrading the NIC's firmware;

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103880

There's a few guys that are up on this stuff;

eaux-yeah - unfortunately I haven't seen him on here in quite awhile
llama - don't know what happened to him, but it says "VERY BANNED" under his name
Cajun Mike - Haven't seen him post in awhile either

Guys, if there's one thing I've learned here, it's NEVER use a beta to fix an issue like a driver. Beta's have tons of issues already. That's why it's in the beta stage.

Bulldawg, it looks like the network:0 is disabled. Did you go into Network Manager and enable it? Just wanted to ask. I don't use wireless so I'm not really up on it. There's another thread down below where someone was having issues with an older system and fixed the problem by upgrading the NIC's firmware;

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103880

There's a few guys that are up on this stuff;

llama - don't know what happened to him, but it says "VERY BANNED" under his name
Cajun Mike - Haven't seen him post in awhile either

I agree with Buick...and don't let him fool ya with modesty, he's given me pretty helpful advice too!

FWIW, I've found that switching distros on laptops is a LOT easier if you plug into an ethernet cable for setup. Linux WANTS to connect to a network and if you give it the default configuration ethernet cable, it seems to find your hardware (including wireless) and locates the necessary drivers and intalls them for you. Once you confirm your wireless drivers are installed and working, you can disconnect and move on from there. Maybe I've just been lucky with that, but it seems to work for me. Again, FWIW...

Update...now my son's USB antenna isn't recognized. Neither is the new USB antenna I bought. Dammit man. I guess I'll re-install 10.04 while hooked up to my wi-fi router via CAT5e.

Please, please oh ye gods of binary...don't make me order the restore discs from HP to go back to XP.

...... week 1-1/2 later

Hey BD, figure this out, yet?

10.10 shows a driver available, but fails to install it.
What reported that? Was it synaptic or Hardware Drivers util (jockey)?
I would have recommended sticking with 10.04. "Things" will be changing a lot in 10.10 until just before final release.

My wife has the same exact wifi chipset on her old Dell laptop.
All that was needed was to install b43-fwcutter, then go to System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers and enable the driver. That should do it for ya'

Broadcom devices are big piles O steamy ..... well, you get it. They (and Nvidia) are at the top of the list as far as not releasing hardware specs to kernel devs.
That may be changing, from Broadcom at least on new devices:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/55418
I will still never support Broadcom, Nvidia, etc. ...... icky poo

I resort to ndiswrapper as an absolute LAST option, btw.

Yeah, I'm hoping to see him sometime, too! :hihi: Life has been weird(er), lately.

Wha?!?!?! Was not aware of that, Bummer.

Meercat just released a huge update this week. looks like alot of the kinks are out. "rtm" release in 2 weeks!

...... week 1-1/2 later

Hey BD, figure this out, yet?

What reported that? Was it synaptic or Hardware Drivers util (jockey)?
I would have recommended sticking with 10.04. "Things" will be changing a lot in 10.10 until just before final release.

My wife has the same exact wifi chipset on her old Dell laptop.
All that was needed was to install b43-fwcutter, then go to System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers and enable the driver. That should do it for ya'

Broadcom devices are big piles O steamy ..... well, you get it. They (and Nvidia) are at the top of the list as far as not releasing hardware specs to kernel devs.
That may be changing, from Broadcom at least on new devices:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/55418
I will still never support Broadcom, Nvidia, etc. ...... icky poo

I resort to ndiswrapper as an absolute LAST option, btw.

Yeah, I'm hoping to see him sometime, too! :hihi: Life has been weird(er), lately.

Wha?!?!?! Was not aware of that, Bummer.
I finally had an opportunity to do a fresh install over the weekend. Left the laptop plugged into the router. Ubuntu found the wi-fi hardware and installed the correct driver. But I had to back out and install Xubuntu instead. Ye olde laptop is in serious need for RAM. Regardless, the Xubuntu install went off without a hitch and I'm roaming free.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom