Ubuntu 13.04 - The Return of Gnome (1 Viewer)

Buickman

Super Forum Fanatic
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So it appears that 13.04 gives the option to install Gnome for the first time since 11.04. Unity is still an option since it's Canonical's solution for cross-platforms.

Called (simply enough) Ubuntu GNOME, this version of Ubuntu has existed as an independent project since last year. But as of April 2013, it will have its first official release alongside Canonical's other iterations of Ubuntu.

Ubuntu 13.04: GNOME vs Unity User Interface Update | Ubuntu content from The VAR Guy

This I did find very interesting..

Ubuntu developers have announced, after a lengthy debate that began earlier this spring, that non-longterm support (LTS) releases of the operating system will receive official support only for nine months, instead of the eighteen Canonical previously provided. That will make the LTS versions of Ubuntu, which come out once every two years, even more important than the other releases (including 13.04) that appear every six months. In many ways, this change will also move Ubuntu to what is essentially a rolling release schedule, at least for users who don't stick solely to the LTS versions.

Ubuntu 13.04: Canonical's Latest Linux - What's New, What's Not | Open Source Application Software Companies content from The VAR Guy

This makes me think that Ubuntu is going to become more "Debian" like, with a new release coming every 2 years (The LTS) instead of every 6 months and in between it just keeps updating.

So it appears that 13.04 gives the option to install Gnome for the first time since 11.04. Unity is still an option since it's Canonical's solution for cross-platforms.

Ubuntu 13.04: GNOME vs Unity User Interface Update | Ubuntu content from The VAR Guy

This I did find very interesting..

Ubuntu 13.04: Canonical's Latest Linux - What's New, What's Not | Open Source Application Software Companies content from The VAR Guy

This makes me think that Ubuntu is going to become more "Debian" like, with a new release coming every 2 years (The LTS) instead of every 6 months and in between it just keeps updating.

If I'm not mistaken, you could always install the Gnome desktop in Ubuntu. Unity is just a highly customized (albeit un-customizable) desktop environment running on Gnome underpinnings. But it's nice they're advertising it and letting people know. Too many people left Ubuntu because they thought it was Unity only. I even hated it at first, but I've grown to like it...a lot, actually. It could still use some ability-to-customize functionality, though!

Regarding the LTS and support periods, this is good news, IMO. I've always viewed the LTS versions as the "finished product", with the in-between releases as the beta versions of the next LTS. I've often wondered how much more polished the LTS versions would be if supporting resources weren't diluted so much with the in-between 6-month cycle versions. Smart move by Ubuntu, IMO!!!

Also, it appears that 13.04 will be the fastest, snappiest, most responsive version of Ubuntu to date. I've seen benchmarking reviews that revealed 13.04 is toe-to-toe with Mac OS X Mountain Lion in most categories, even beating Mac in several others. Performance boosts have been achieved by compiling for ARM architecture; when ported to x86_64 architecture, the software just screams! Seems like Ubuntu is really getting its house in order for multi-platform devices?

All that said, I'll stick with the 12.04 LTS, but I'm already looking forward to whatever 14.04 may have to offer!!!

interesting.. i quit using ubuntu a long time ago because it was too bloated and never felt "snappy." i may have to take another look

Hey zeetes, you ARE awesome!

Personally, I don't care about benchmark tests, even though I realize it's the only way to scientifically quantify speed & performance. I only care about NOTICEABLE speed & performance agains. If it doesn't pass the "eye test", I'm done...

All that said, here's my link to support that previous Ubuntu vs. OS X statement, FYI...

[Phoronix] Ubuntu 13.04 Linux Can Outperform Apple OS X 10.8.3

Hey zeetes, you ARE awesome!

Personally, I don't care about benchmark tests, even though I realize it's the only way to scientifically quantify speed & performance. I only care about NOTICEABLE speed & performance agains. If it doesn't pass the "eye test", I'm done...

All that said, here's my link to support that previous Ubuntu vs. OS X statement, FYI...

[Phoronix] Ubuntu 13.04 Linux Can Outperform Apple OS X 10.8.3

hah thanks. i completely agree. good review.

interesting.. i quit using ubuntu a long time ago because it was too bloated and never felt "snappy." i may have to take another look
It still is. :hihi:

Been using Arch Linux for the last few years now and the only thing I like better (desktop-wise) is FreeBSD 9.

You may wanna check out Arch if your anti-bloat and hate living in dependency hell. It's a rolling release distro so no 'version' to install. Just install latest iso and update.

To be fair, gtkorphan, bleachbit, localepurge, etc, does help with 'de-bloating' Ubuntu. Can also cause issues if you don't keep your head up, easy fixes if you mess up, though.

Yes, I hate Unity. I fully understand why some people do like it though (and Ubuntu). I don't care how much JH tries to convince me. :winknudge: Not gonna. Old dog, new tricks n stuff.

For me, I'll just stick with my old race car analogy ... If I drive a race car, I want gauges, not idiots lights. Of course I only use Spectrwm, so there. :angryrazz:

My wife kept complaining after each new Ubuntu version came out could not stand Unity. Moved her over to Linux Mint (Nadia) and haven't heard a complaint, since (well about her laptop, that is). Just an FYI.

Been using Arch Linux for the last few years now and the only thing I like better (desktop-wise) is FreeBSD 9.

You may wanna check out Arch if your anti-bloat and hate living in dependency hell. It's a rolling release distro so no 'version' to install. Just install latest iso and update.

To be fair, gtkorphan, bleachbit, localepurge, etc, does help with 'de-bloating' Ubuntu. Can also cause issues if you don't keep your head up, easy fixes if you mess up, though.

Yes, I hate Unity. I fully understand why some people do like it though (and Ubuntu). I don't care how much JH tries to convince me. :winknudge: Not gonna. Old dog, new tricks n stuff.

For me, I'll just stick with my old race car analogy ... If I drive a race car, I want gauges, not idiots lights. Of course I only use Spectrwm, so there. :angryrazz:

My wife kept complaining after each new Ubuntu version came out could not stand Unity. Moved her over to Linux Mint (Nadia) and haven't heard a complaint, since (well about her laptop, that is). Just an FYI.
thanks! i'll have to check that out.

I was running mint off a thumb drive for a while before replacing it with puppy Linux. i'm a big fan of mint.

(snipped)

(snipped again)

Oh Eaux, I would never attempt to introduce an Arch user to Ubuntu! LOL! As a former Windows-migrator, I used to think Ubuntu was the perfect intro to Linux for disgruntled Windows users. But I've learned people gravitate to what is visually familiar to them. Seems like Ubuntu is targeting Mac users now, especially given the Unity interface, Ubuntu Tablets, Phones, and TVs currently in the works. That also explains why Windows-migrators are more interested in Mint, looking like Windows in a minty-green skin, shooting that distro to the top of the DistroWatch charts.

All that said, I am also interested in Arch, but do not yet possess the skills (or maybe confidence level?) to build an Arch system from the kernel up. I WILL, but I'm not there yet! Until then, now that I'm past the culture shock of the Unity interface (and have grown to like it, actually?!) Ubuntu is the perfect system to replace every bit of functionality that I used to rely on from Windows. I can live with the proprietary bits and the "bloat" that power-users often cite. I'm just happy we have that choice. Linux is AMAZING in that respect...a power user like you can choose your Arch, and a layman migrator like me can have my Unbuntu, both running a Linux kernel and skeleton under the hood, and we're both pretty pleased about what we got?!!!

Windows and Mac users can't say that, can they? Peace, bro!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom