Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron (1 Viewer)

Buickman

Super Forum Fanatic
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just performed the alt-install of amd64 alpha 6 release. First thing I noticed during the install was during the network configuration (if you use manual) was that it now asks for a domain. It did not have xfs as an option during the disk partition. I hope they add that for the final release. The install went pretty smooth overall.

It does have Firefox 3 beta 3, but I haven't looked harder at the programs. I noticed it comes with Brasero pre-installed. Currently downloading the updates, about 180 meg worth.

Oh yeah, it has a new wallpaper with a heron (go figure). I'll post more as I play around with it.

I (tried to) install Feisty Fawn on my PC quite some time ago, but it ended in disaster. I cannot make my internet card work no matter how hard I try. It's unfortunate because I hate Vista with a passion.

Any idea if there is more support for wireless cards in either Gutsy or this beta?

I don't use wireless so I can't really comment on it. I know they've come a long way and several people have had success using ndiswrapper to install the windows driver. But I wouldn't recommend trying it with 8.04 until the final release next month. I installed this on a spare hard drive I put in this system.

I did get the nvidia driver and compiz-fusion working. The driver installed just like in gutsy, and you still have to install the ccsm manually.

There appears to be a new search tool called Tracker that shows up in the upper right. Well, it's new to me, and I don't see it on my Gutsy system.

Also, to me anyway, programs seem to load much faster than Gutsy. Otherwise, so far it's very much like Gutsy. We'll see what happens with future releases.

Yep, Tracker is also available in Gutsy. BTW I dist-upgraded my daughter's Gutsy box to Hardy so that her newish iPod will work. So far so good.

I (tried to) install Feisty Fawn on my PC quite some time ago, but it ended in disaster. I cannot make my internet card work no matter how hard I try. It's unfortunate because I hate Vista with a passion.

Any idea if there is more support for wireless cards in either Gutsy or this beta?

I doubt you'll see any more support than you currently have. Most wireless cards need to be initialized with a hack for them to work.

I have a Macbook Pro, and there are tutorials out there for you to get everything in this system to work, and I STILL had to do some silly/backward things to get my sound to work (had to turn on line in as output). The Linux guys need to get their act together on basic things like sound. In Windows or in OS X, I can easily get use one sound slider to control my volume. In Linux, depending on the application, I either have to use the main slider or use the Center, PCM, and some other slider.

I could understand if this were just legacy software, but this stuff has been updated for years.

Did you try using ndiswrapper and the original windows driver?

NDISWRAPPER problems - Ubuntu Forums
as a starting place

Network Drivers

As long as you use Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 or higher network drivers are no longer an issue. A "restricted drivers" module is now built into Ubuntu/Kubuntu. This module will detect your Wifi or NIC card and if there are no linux native drivers it will tell you there are restricted drivers to use for this hardware device. Just enter your root password and tick the box for that driver and the module will download the driver and install it for you. No more need for ndiswrapper and windows drivers! I use Kubuntu and for me the module is in "K-menu > System Settings > Advanced >Restricted Drivers.
Hope this helps!

As long as you use Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 or higher network drivers are no longer an issue. A "restricted drivers" module is now built into Ubuntu/Kubuntu. This module will detect your Wifi or NIC card and if there are no linux native drivers it will tell you there are restricted drivers to use for this hardware device. Just enter your root password and tick the box for that driver and the module will download the driver and install it for you. No more need for ndiswrapper and windows drivers! I use Kubuntu and for me the module is in "K-menu > System Settings > Advanced >Restricted Drivers.
Hope this helps!

Hm gonna haveo give that a try I used ndiswrapper when I installed edgy on an IBM Thinkpad (anchor)

Jtek for Ubuntu Gusty with gnome it's under System>Administration>Restricted Driver Manager

Cajun Mike,
Cool, wasn't sure where it was with Gnome! I do know that I had edgy, then fiesty installed on my laptop with the "dreaded" Broadcom wireless card...Had to always use the ndiswrapper and windows drivers..This usually worked with some occasional errors but since I installed Gutsy (2 days after its offical release) I have not had a single wireless issue with the new restricted drivers module. Good luck!

I doubt you'll see any more support than you currently have. Most wireless cards need to be initialized with a hack for them to work.

I have a Macbook Pro, and there are tutorials out there for you to get everything in this system to work, and I STILL had to do some silly/backward things to get my sound to work (had to turn on line in as output). The Linux guys need to get their act together on basic things like sound. In Windows or in OS X, I can easily get use one sound slider to control my volume. In Linux, depending on the application, I either have to use the main slider or use the Center, PCM, and some other slider.

I could understand if this were just legacy software, but this stuff has been updated for years.

I searched and never saw your problem or if you posted it here.
FYI, I have been installing Linux on Apple boxen for well over a decade and have probably come across everything you are running against. I have NO problem helping out my fellow SAINTS brethren, either.

I will assume you are using Ubuntu? Might have a look/see at YellowDog?
YellowDog is RPM based, I don't like it as much as Debian based, but many other do. You may very well like it.

First of all, laying blame on "The Linux Guys" would be extremely unfair.
Your problem has nothing to do w/Linux and everything to do with ALSA. Same problem would appear if using a real *BSD, too.

Your sound card issues are driver/module related. Passing some module options when loading should fix it.
As far as the 'one volume slider for all' thing. Lock down the PCM, Center, Line In, etc. sliders in ALSA. Set it using asoundconf, alsactl, etc. or if you want to manually edit the files, you can do that, too. (see /var/lib/alsa/asound.state)
Also, many applications will ask for the default audio (jack, alsa, oss, etc.). That can definitely be confusing. Usually, selecting alsa is best. However, learning about the JACK can be quite fun and Jack is extremely flexible. You can even manipulate your input/outputs to do just about anything. I highly recommend learning more about Jack.

Personally, I do all kinds of audio work (now for fun) on Linux and would freak if I didn't have the choice of slider options. I see that as a great thing that allows me better control.

BTW, you think that Apple sound card has sliders, you should see my 7 year old Audigy2 ZS Pro. Mega Slider'ville indeed! :hihi:

Hope that helps some, meistro!

================================================

llamakc,
Have to tried plugging in the iPod to Amarok? It works so good!

Had to put off my iAudio7 purchase for another month or so, should have it next month.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom