Ubuntu 8.04 - NIC issue (1 Viewer)

NewOrleansFan

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have a desktop with Ubuntu 8.04 install. The NIC card is a Chelsio 10Gig LR-XLR. Driver package cxbg3 is installed. I could see the NIC card from Network manager but when I tried to issue: ifconfig eth2 up, I got the following error: SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file in the directory.

/etc/network/interfaces look like this
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
mtu 1500

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
mtu 1500

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet dhcp
mtu 9000

Both eth0 and eth1 are working and I also tried static IP but still getting the same error.

Is the cxbg3 (using) card the only one of its type? Or do you have multiple, similar cards that rely on the cxbg3 kernel module?

When you say "Driver package cxbg3 is installed" how did you do that? I don't see a kernel module by that name. Perhaps you meant cxgb3?

Yep, that's what you meant. So is it loaded into the running kernel?

`lsmod | grep cxgb3`

Does that show it loaded?

Is the cxbg3 (using) card the only one of its type? Or do you have multiple, similar cards that rely on the cxbg3 kernel module?

When you say "Driver package cxbg3 is installed" how did you do that? I don't see a kernel module by that name. Perhaps you meant cxgb3?

Yep, that's what you meant. So is it loaded into the running kernel?

`lsmod | grep cxgb3`

Does that show it loaded?

Sorry, I meant cxgb3 and I only have 1 card that rely on it.
When I do lsmod | grep cxgb3 this is what is shown
ag@LRA-AG-HDS:~$ lsmod | grep cxgb3
cxgb3 126448 0

Good. It's there. What's the output of:

Code:
iwconfig

I wonder if this has been fixed with more recent kernels. I'd be interested what results you'd receive with the 8.10 LiveCD.

Good. It's there. What's the output of:

Code:
iwconfig

I wonder if this has been fixed with more recent kernels. I'd be interested what results you'd receive with the 8.10 LiveCD.

root@LRA-AG-HDS:/proc/net# ifconfig eth2 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
root@LRA-AG-HDS:/proc/net# ethtool -i eth2
driver: cxgb3
version: 1.0-ko
firmware-version: T 7.1.0
bus-info: 0000:0c:00.0
root@LRA-AG-HDS:/proc/net# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

eth2 no wireless extensions.

root@LRA-AG-HDS:/proc/net#

My bad on the `iwconfig` suggestion. That's for wireless controllers and I realized after the fact that your NIC is wired.

Are you using a Desktop install (Ubuntu instead of Ubuntu Server)? Network-Manager doesn't read from /etc/network/interfaces.

My bad on the `iwconfig` suggestion. That's for wireless controllers and I realized after the fact that your NIC is wired.

Are you using a Desktop install (Ubuntu instead of Ubuntu Server)? Network-Manager doesn't read from /etc/network/interfaces.

I am using Desktop install and Network-Manager does read from /etc/network/interfaces since the BroadCom NICs are working with either DHCP or static. I think it could be a bug in the cxgb3 module. I will try 8.10 and see what happens. Thank you for your helps

Network-Manager does not always read from /etc/network/interfaces, although your experience may be that it is doing so for you in your situation. There are gobs of bug reports about it not cooperating. I'm a fan of ///interfaces myself and do not like that GNOME keeps GUI-ifying **** near everything.

Let us know how the 8.10 LiveCD works for you. Perhaps you could run a couple of different LiveCD's and see which one works for that NIC. . .

Good luck.

Network-Manager does not always read from /etc/network/interfaces, although your experience may be that it is doing so for you in your situation. There are gobs of bug reports about it not cooperating. I'm a fan of ///interfaces myself and do not like that GNOME keeps GUI-ifying **** near everything.

Let us know how the 8.10 LiveCD works for you. Perhaps you could run a couple of different LiveCD's and see which one works for that NIC. . .

Good luck.

Anyhow, I have to build 4 identical systems and luckily the NIC in one of the system works. When I did ethtool -i eth2, I noticed the firmware version was an older version. Downgrade to firmware 4.0.0 and all the NICs are working. Chelsio tech support wasn't very helpful. They told me that they don't support Ubuntu. They should've known about the firmware.

That is great news. I'm glad you sorted it out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom