Ubuntu 8.10 - Intrepid Ibex (1 Viewer)

Buickman

Super Forum Fanatic
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Installed the RC a few days ago with the alt-install disc. There's some issues with it that they're aware of, like what looks like a failure at the beginning, long delays while it reads the disc and things like that. I'm assuming those things will be addressed in the Final Release. Otherwise it installed pretty easily. First thing I noticed was the background looks like blood splatter from a crime scene. Maybe it's just me.

Tell the truth, this being from a novice, it isn't really much different than Hardy. For me, Hardy was much more stable than Gutsy, and the kernel for Intrepid is supposed to be even more stable. Installed the new Samba which operates like the old one. I guess it has features I don't use. The medibuntu repository for Intrepid is also open.

I upgraded via `update-manager -d` and only had some issues with Gallery2 which I quickly sorted out. I also installed it on a friend's laptop using the traditional Desktop*iso and had none of those issues you had.

I like the BBC-totem addition http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/810rc#New Features since Ubuntu 8.04 and (not just this distro-related but) I just started using "clamassassin" which I am loving. Not to mention the inclusion of the Fedora/RH `sudo service NAME stop|start` in this release (instead of just using the /etc/init.d/ scripts).

It also fixed a problem I've had with DoveCot not starting on boot for my vanity email server.

I am noticing some problems with Firefox locking up on javascript-heavy sites when I have Compiz enabled. The lock up is bad enough that even ssh'ing in from another machine and killing all my processes to include X doesn't refresh the monitor screen (which stays stuck). I end up having to reboot.

I've resigned myself to using the ATI proprietary driver to get Compiz working. There's a dope new plugin for deformation that lets the 'cube' become a cylinder. Useless or not, I'm digging it.

I am noticing some problems with Firefox locking up on javascript-heavy sites when I have Compiz enabled. The lock up is bad enough that even ssh'ing in from another machine and killing all my processes to include X doesn't refresh the monitor screen (which stays stuck). I end up having to reboot.

I ran into that also yesterday when trying to go to www.howtoforge.com, only FF just disappears when loading the page. Seems to be the only page that's done it, although it was fine when I installed 8.10. Maybe the latest FF patch?

After the latest round of Compiz updates and me going back to using the ATI driver I'm all fine (so far).

I'm digging Gnome-Do A LOT!

I re-installed Ibex after I accidently trashed some things and the FF problem went away. Not sure what that was about. Then gedit started giving me problems, like not opening. After a reboot, that went away. So far Ibex seems to be a little more touchy than Hardy.

I'm having the FF problem again and it only seems to be howtoforge.com. Can one of you try that site and see if you also have problems with it?

I was able to load the page with no problem. Are you using Gnash? My version of flash is Shockwave Flash 10.0 r12 on Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.4) Gecko/2008111318 Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.4.

The only add-ons I have running are StumbleUpon, GreaseMonkey, and a GMail checker.

I've got the same flash and FF versions and I haven't added any other addons other than totem. I don't think I'm using gnash. At least I don't remember installing it. I'll check after work.

Has this problem persisted?

Good news for me: I got a new laptop for an early Xmas present. I shrunk the Vista partition from inside of Vista, and installed Ubuntu with no problems at all. Wait: let me amend that. When you're selecting an option in the Ubuntu Installer Partition Applet, the graphic is messed up. If you choose the correct option to "Guided Use the largest continuous free space", the graphic representation of the disks changes to 100% blue, giving the impression that Ubuntu is going to sit on all of your disk-space.

Other than that stumbling block (and honestly it could have been me because I was doing a whiskey & coffee install) Ubuntu works perfectly.

Yeah, it's still a problem and it's only been that site, which is strange. I thought it might have been shockwave, which I disabled, but the problem is still there. But I can get around it. I get on my Vista system and use putty to ssh into my ubuntu box so I can copy/paste from their howto's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom