Ubunutu 8.04 in MS VM 2007 (1 Viewer)

Saint77

Burrrrrrrsitis!
Reaction score
Anyone successful in getting this to work? Im trying to install it on a VM and having issues. the PC itself is Windows XP SP3. I keep getting:

"An unrecoverable processor error has been encountered. The virtual machine will reset now."

no matter what I try. Ive tried Safe Graphics Mode, then hitting F6 and adding vga=791 noreplace=paravirt, and ive also tried adding noapic nolapic vga=791 to the boot line.

I also tried dropping back to Ubuntu 7, and I can get to the desktop after a while, but then the VM wont capture the mouse and I cant do anything.

Suggestions?

Virtual PC? I haven't touched it too many times. Enough to not like it, though.
Might want to look at VirtualBox, I promise you'll have a better time installing non-Microsoft OSes.

I see you did the F4 Safe Graphics Mode, then F6 adding vga=791 noreplace=paravirt
(that's crazy that the vga=791 addition is needed for a VM!)
Did you remove the "quiet splash" part of the same line? try that, if not.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer" after F4 Safe Graphics Mode?

probably have already seen this, but just in case:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/index.php/installing-ubuntu-804-on-microsoft-virtual-pc-2007

That link is one of the guides I tried using, and yes I deleted the quiet splash bit. I also tried the commands before and after the double dashes, as some say to do that. Also, I did without any changes to the computer. Heck think i tried every thing I could find last night.

The weird part is, those tricks work on Vista hosting Ubuntu, but I cant seem to find anyone trying it with XP. hosting Ubuntu on VM.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom