UCLA student tazed (2 Viewers)

I disagree that we are not supposed to be respectful of authority. At the very least, automatically being disrespectful to authority is wrong. But then again, I believe that the police force exists to protect and serve, which I find to be something I respect them for.

There was no way to distinguish this guy being a jerk from this guy being a potential danger. The campus police are allowed to use the taser on someone who is passively resisting. Guess what? That's exactly what he was doing when he fell limply to the floor.

Perhaps it is time for a regulation change in the campus police handbook. But if these cops were following procedure, albeit a possibly faulty one, then it may not be their fault the incident happened. And I don't think they should be automatically crucified and vilified when the only version of the story we have is a video from a camera phone that really doesn;t show anything about the incident.

I didn't say we weren't supposed to be respectful of authority, I said we weren't required to be. Two very different things.

There's no way to distinguish anyone from being a potential danger... should we just start tasering everyone to be safe?

I never said that tasering was against the rules... and I certainly didn't call for anyone to be fired or even reprimanded, since I don't have enough evidence. I am saying that under the information we have, the cops did not act in a manner consistent with public safety, IMO. I also stated my opinion that tasering should be a non-lethal method to protect the police when they are threatened.

And no matter how you spin it... tasering someone repeatedly and asking them to "stand up" and then tasering them because they can't comply is excessive and an abuse of authority.

Give me your library card :p
dreddss-1.jpg

Has anyone seen the population of UCLA? Its at least 15% Middle Eastern, probably more. Its not like these campus officers saw their first Middle Easterner and went nuts. Its the student's fault for being a "female cleansing product" and not obeying people who are trying to protect him and his fellow students.

I believe they did go nuts, I agree the the guy was in the wrong and should have shown his ID I would have but we can't allow the cops to dispense justice on the street this isn't mother Russia......Yet

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom