superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Ratings
Sticky Post
* * Champions League Thread * *

Any fans?

Took Liverpool 85 minutes to score despite the 1 man advantage. Chelsea plays to a draw in Greece.

I won't say what happened in the Roma/Madrid game, its on (tape delay) ESPN classic right now.

Last edited:

showtimesaints

Veteran Starter
Ratings
That was a horrendous call! The ref even give Gigi a red card. If your going to call a penalty at that time of the game you better be prepared to put up with the players coming at you. At least give Gigi a chance to defend the penalty, the ref even took that away.

OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Ratings
That was a horrendous call! The ref even give Gigi a red card. If your going to call a penalty at that time of the game you better be prepared to put up with the players coming at you. At least give Gigi a chance to defend the penalty, the ref even took that away.
I think it was a fair call on the penalty. Benatia came in with heavy hands on Vazquez's back and played his left leg across Vazquez's chest as the ball came in - all of which knocked him down. It's one of those classic questions of whether the rules don't apply in the final moments of a game. At that point, with that play, it's a penalty. It wasn't egregious or anything, but I think the contact was enough to be a foul.

If you look closely at Buffon's interaction with the official, it looks like he grabs him by the waist to turn him toward Buffon so that he could yell at him. I think that touching is what angered the ref and he pulled the red. I think you're right that the ref has to be able to take a certain degree of yelling at a huge call like that - but they do draw the line at players grabbing them.

showtimesaints

Veteran Starter
Ratings
I think it was a fair call on the penalty. Benatia came in with heavy hands on Vazquez's back and played his left leg across Vazquez's chest as the ball came in - all of which knocked him down. It's one of those classic questions of whether the rules don't apply in the final moments of a game. At that point, with that play, it's a penalty. It wasn't egregious or anything, but I think the contact was enough to be a foul.

If you look closely at Buffon's interaction with the official, it looks like he grabs him by the waist to turn him toward Buffon so that he could yell at him. I think that touching is what angered the ref and he pulled the red. I think you're right that the ref has to be able to take a certain degree of yelling at a huge call like that - but they do draw the line at players grabbing them.
If it was the 32nd minute, sure. But your at the point of the game where you let the players determine the outcome of the game, not the referee. The ref should have realized that and put his whistle in his pocket for the rest of the game.

Clarkey

32 Years and Counting...
Ratings
If it was the 32nd minute, sure. But your at the point of the game where you let the players determine the outcome of the game, not the referee. The ref should have realized that and put his whistle in his pocket for the rest of the game.
You sound like a Canadian hockey fan. LOL! I disagree; a penalty is a penalty, no matter when. This "let them play" angle you hear about isn't sports, it's anarchy.

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Ratings
At no point in a match should a player touch, bump or intimidate an official.. The player needs to know that he's needed in that situation and control himself. The penalty was on Benatia. If anyone should have been in the ref's face, it was him, and I'm sure he was. But the ref obviously did not approve of Buffon's actions.

showtimesaints

Veteran Starter
Ratings
At no point in a match should a player touch, bump or intimidate an official.. The player needs to know that he's needed in that situation and control himself. The penalty was on Benatia. If anyone should have been in the ref's face, it was him, and I'm sure he was. But the ref obviously did not approve of Buffon's actions.
I agree, but again the ref should have know who he was giving it to. If it was Suarez, guaranteed red with his "many" antics but we are talking about gigi, who has a career of respect, and not typical of him to act this way and who got very emotional for one time in his career on the pitch. Was it is card, yes, a yellow but dam give the team a chance after sticking a pitchfork of their a**.

Clarkey

32 Years and Counting...
Ratings
Playoff hockey baby, two months of it to fight for Lord Stanley's cup!
Nice... Got a team/picking a winner? I'd be okay with Nashville going all the way - I went to their home opener back in October when I drove down to New Orleans for the Lions' game. "Winterpeg" would also be a decent choice. Anyone but Toronto.

Saintslfc13

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Ratings
Yeah, I was sitting in traffic yesterday so I called in on Sirius FC to complain about the Barca game not being on TV (except for Deportes). The call screener explained that it was because it was on Facebook Live - and that supposedly is a good answer to the criticism of Fox not having it on FS2.

Well, that's all fine for Facebook Live but I was in a pub full of soccer fans. Are we all just supposed to sit there and look at the game on our phones? Still hella lame.
I think Bayern - Sevilla were the FB live game last week. Absolutely ridiculous for me that a Champions League quarterfinal is being showed exclusively on Facebook live. I get having the option available, fine, but for it not to be on FS2 as well is just stupid. If they pull that trash with the Semi-finals people will be even more ****** and rightly so.

Does anyone know how much longer Fox has the contract?

showtimesaints

Veteran Starter
Ratings
Nice... Got a team/picking a winner? I'd be okay with Nashville going all the way - I went to their home opener back in October when I drove down to New Orleans for the Lions' game. "Winterpeg" would also be a decent choice. Anyone but Toronto.

Leafs fan here, looks like an early playoff exit for the boys.

OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Ratings
Does anyone know how much longer Fox has the contract?

This is the last year. Next year, CL in US will be on Turner Networks.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Turner to become domestic rightsholder of UEFA Champions League in &#39;18-&#39;19; plans to launch own OTT sports streamer. <a href="https://t.co/RRKuLFfP1f">https://t.co/RRKuLFfP1f</a> <a href="https://t.co/XzkvTFBR6C">pic.twitter.com/XzkvTFBR6C</a></p>&mdash; Sports Video Group (@sportsvideo) <a href="https://twitter.com/sportsvideo/status/898173804853198849?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 17, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
Diamond VIP Contributor
Ratings
Liverpool vs Roma and Bayern vs Real this going to be an exciting Semi final. I think it will be Liverpool vs Real in the finals. YNWA

You have to think that Liverpool will make the final if they continue to play like they have been - but you don't luck into the Champions League semis, if Roma knocked out Barcelona, they can beat anybody if things go their way.

I really don't know how to handicap the other one. Yeah, Real is loaded but they're up against Bayern. Who knows how that's going to turn out.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="it" dir="ltr">Ecco le semifinali <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/championsleaguedraw?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#championsleaguedraw</a> <a href="https://t.co/TumdhkDj6I">pic.twitter.com/TumdhkDj6I</a></p>&mdash; Deborah Schirru (@debbys1986) <a href="https://twitter.com/debbys1986/status/984794005778128896?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 13, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom