UEFA Champions League (1 Viewer)

To be fair, there was at least some debate on the postgame whether Sane's goal should have counted, and that was a clear foul on VVD on the giveaway that led to the Jesus goal.

If you count the Sane goal it is of course a different game, but LFC earned the right to be in a position where everything had to go right for City in the second leg, and with the grit LFC showed in the second half of both legs, I'm not certain it's assured that City either get that third goal and/or keep 'Pool out of the net in the second half.

Anyway cheers to City for the well-earned PL title, and we're on to the semis. Up Juventus and Sevilla!

Yeah, that's all true. Either way, Liverpool played outstanding and deserved to advance. I never would have thought 5-1 agg. They whipped 'em.

Juve looks to be making it more interesting than City was able to.

0-2 (3-2) at 38'.

Holy ****

(Backup keeper comes on at 92' to defend the Ronaldo penalty shot. Welcome to the game!)

It was a gutsy call by the official, but a correct one at that. A tough loss for Juventus - nobody would have predicted 3 away goals while shutting down the home side for almost 90 minutes.

Benatia had been pretty reckless leading up to that penalty foul. IMO the penalty was the right call even though it was bad timing for Juve. You'd prefer to let them play on, but you can't let timing dictate proper calls. Buffon would have had at least a chance to stop anything Vasquez put on frame b/c Vasquez was still having to play it after trapping it on his chest.

I'm guessing Buffon got the card due to his imposing himself upon the ref and possibly for whatever he was saying. I hated to see that for him.

These quarter final games have been awesome, very entertaining...exactly why I love to watch top flight European football.

BTW, go Reds!!

Buffon said the ref had a garbage bin for a heart after the game. Said he shouldn't be making decisions but sitting in the crowd drinking his Sprite and eating crisps. LOL.

That was a horrendous call! The ref even give Gigi a red card. If your going to call a penalty at that time of the game you better be prepared to put up with the players coming at you. At least give Gigi a chance to defend the penalty, the ref even took that away.

That was a horrendous call! The ref even give Gigi a red card. If your going to call a penalty at that time of the game you better be prepared to put up with the players coming at you. At least give Gigi a chance to defend the penalty, the ref even took that away.

I think it was a fair call on the penalty. Benatia came in with heavy hands on Vazquez's back and played his left leg across Vazquez's chest as the ball came in - all of which knocked him down. It's one of those classic questions of whether the rules don't apply in the final moments of a game. At that point, with that play, it's a penalty. It wasn't egregious or anything, but I think the contact was enough to be a foul.

If you look closely at Buffon's interaction with the official, it looks like he grabs him by the waist to turn him toward Buffon so that he could yell at him. I think that touching is what angered the ref and he pulled the red. I think you're right that the ref has to be able to take a certain degree of yelling at a huge call like that - but they do draw the line at players grabbing them.

I think it was a fair call on the penalty. Benatia came in with heavy hands on Vazquez's back and played his left leg across Vazquez's chest as the ball came in - all of which knocked him down. It's one of those classic questions of whether the rules don't apply in the final moments of a game. At that point, with that play, it's a penalty. It wasn't egregious or anything, but I think the contact was enough to be a foul.

If you look closely at Buffon's interaction with the official, it looks like he grabs him by the waist to turn him toward Buffon so that he could yell at him. I think that touching is what angered the ref and he pulled the red. I think you're right that the ref has to be able to take a certain degree of yelling at a huge call like that - but they do draw the line at players grabbing them.

If it was the 32nd minute, sure. But your at the point of the game where you let the players determine the outcome of the game, not the referee. The ref should have realized that and put his whistle in his pocket for the rest of the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom