UEFA Champions League (1 Viewer)

Brilliant assist from Pulisic, wow.
His mental game has matured from his time at Dortmund. It's really great to watch him play. He had become very "silky" in his movement and awareness.

I can't wait to see him for USMNT. I just hope those around him can elevate their game. They will need to because his game is in a different level right now.

His mental game has matured from his time at Dortmund. It's really great to watch him play. He had become very "silky" in his movement and awareness.

I can't wait to see him for USMNT. I just hope those around him can elevate their game. They will need to because his game is in a different level right now.

Silky and so calm/calculating despite the intensity of the moment.

The footwork, the way he worked the space and Courtois, and then the delivery of that pass between defenders and across the goal, on a platter for Mount was just awesome.

Silky and so calm/calculating despite the intensity of the moment.

The footwork, the way he worked the space and Courtois, and then the delivery of that pass between defenders and across the goal, on a platter for Mount was just awesome.

thats the mental part exactly.

Courtois charged out....then hesitated. At that moment CP knew he had him in a pickle...does he come to CP or retreat. RM defenders see the same, so they "freeze" to cue off what Courtois does. That allows CP that 2 seconds to simply stand there and wait. It was a great move by Mount who also "read" the defenders cueing off Courtois and when he started to retreat, Mount cut across his defender who was static. He reacted faster than his defender and CP found the alley. But the awareness that defenders around him are hesitant, Courtois hesitant and so i can just stand here for a second or two...yeah beautiful shirt.

Watch Sergio Ramos to see what i meant....he has played for RM and SPain for liek 14 years now as defender....watch that slo mo overhead. As TC steps out, he freezes....the moment TC takes a step back, Ramos takes step toward CP...but that changed the angle/lane too and CP and Mount BOTH saw the same thing. Ramos didnt change his angle of defense and with TC retreating, opened a new lane. This all happens within a second, but CP processes and hits the pass. I love it.

When the game starts to slow down like that, its just beautiful to watch. As his prowess grows, just having the ball at his feet will cause defenders pause which changes angles and lanes for him. And it looks as though as that happens, he is also adjusting his game to fit that. There was another movement in the game where he dropped his shoulder and accelerated past his defender as he received the pass with his back to goal. Shirt like that tells you his game, his confidence and skill are growing.

I dont like to draw comparisons as i dont know whose game he mimics, but ite becoming apparent that his skill on the ball is way more advanced than we have ever seen from an American player. No offense to Dempsey or Donovan, but i think they would be the first to say that they didnt have the "on the ball" moxie that Pulisic has. And that ability changes EVERYTHING for the USMNT and how they play. Berhalter will have a problem ( a good one ) in selecting players to play off CP because they will have to adjust their game to his level. He sees things that many do not. If that can mesh for 2022, i do like our chances of a really good WC.

He is already a much better player than Dempsey (and I'm a huge Dempsey fan)....he is so strong on the ball, a player that can hold the ball when necessary, superior field vision, and a goal scorer all in one....I hope his international play translates to USMNT....

He is already a much better player than Dempsey (and I'm a huge Dempsey fan)....he is so strong on the ball, a player that can hold the ball when necessary, superior field vision, and a goal scorer all in one....I hope his international play translates to USMNT....

Dempsey was "crafty" if you will. Wouldnt out-muscle you, but had a pretty good touch. Pulisic is deft. He can set you up with a simple shoulder move and then spin right around you, all the while, the ball hasnt gone further than a foot from his feet. Messi was the master of this. Its the same reason Pulisic endures multiple "chop down" tackles a game. Defenders want him to get that ball off his feet, and part of that is hard fouls. He got clobbered early in leg 1 by RM players - like 4-5 really hard tackles in the first 20 min or so. When you see that, you know the level of respect is there.

the real key imo will be the other 10 meshing with CP. Does Pulisic have to drop his game down ever so slightly, and if he does, can he pull it off while still being the most dominant on the field ? I really think what has to happen for USMNT to be wildly successful is that the link up play between mid and fwd has to be on point. Pulisic to feel as tho he doesnt have to carry 60% of the load and over-play and the others to get to his level for 90 min or so to enjoy the fruits of Pulisics ability.

I keep gushing over Pulisic, but its because im so very excited and proud to say "thats a US player!" on an international level we really havent seen. Lots of pride for an old soccer player myself.

gone are the days of knocking the ball 20 yards upfield and using brute speed to get on to....

Dempsey was "crafty" if you will. Wouldnt out-muscle you, but had a pretty good touch. Pulisic is deft. He can set you up with a simple shoulder move and then spin right around you, all the while, the ball hasnt gone further than a foot from his feet. Messi was the master of this. Its the same reason Pulisic endures multiple "chop down" tackles a game. Defenders want him to get that ball off his feet, and part of that is hard fouls. He got clobbered early in leg 1 by RM players - like 4-5 really hard tackles in the first 20 min or so. When you see that, you know the level of respect is there.

the real key imo will be the other 10 meshing with CP. Does Pulisic have to drop his game down ever so slightly, and if he does, can he pull it off while still being the most dominant on the field ? I really think what has to happen for USMNT to be wildly successful is that the link up play between mid and fwd has to be on point. Pulisic to feel as tho he doesnt have to carry 60% of the load and over-play and the others to get to his level for 90 min or so to enjoy the fruits of Pulisics ability.

I keep gushing over Pulisic, but its because im so very excited and proud to say "thats a US player!" on an international level we really havent seen. Lots of pride for an old soccer player myself.

gone are the days of knocking the ball 20 yards upfield and using brute speed to get on to....

He and Sergino Dest seemed to work well together when they were paired on the same side recently

He and Sergino Dest seemed to work well together when they were paired on the same side recently
Im really interested in that and pairing him with Tim Weah as it seems he slowly starting to find more time on the field with Lille.

y'all know more about this than i do, but i feel what's the the USMNT back for the last few cycles was wildly inconsistent play out of the mid (i soured bad on Bradley) - if we have someone in the mid who can set up runs (or even patient possession) then CP should be able to feast
if there's only a 50/50 chance that the ball crosses the mid, forwards won't be able to set up their runs/lanes - if not then everyone has to one on one
but if we can get that above average mid, we can get creative on our side (as well as taking pressure off our backs)

My oldest son is a Chelsea fan, he also turned down a few Div 1 scholarship offers to play in college, he knows the game inside and out. He pretty much echoes what you are saying about Pulisic. He told me once, don't laugh, I'm not comparing him to Messi, but he has a lot of on the ball similarities, I think he is right....

I agree with you on USMNT, they need a number of the young talented players to step up and I think they will....I don't think they will struggle scoring goals, but the back 4 is not exactly inspirational....we will see....

Ah, the smash and run game....All the rage in HS teams around here, but don't work in the travel leagues for the most part....

My oldest son is a Chelsea fan, he also turned down a few Div 1 scholarship offers to play in college, he knows the game inside and out. He pretty much echoes what you are saying about Pulisic. He told me once, don't laugh, I'm not comparing him to Messi, but he has a lot of on the ball similarities, I think he is right....

I agree with you on USMNT, they need a number of the young talented players to step up and I think they will....I don't think they will struggle scoring goals, but the back 4 is not exactly inspirational....we will see....

Ah, the smash and run game....All the rage in HS teams around here, but don't work in the travel leagues for the most part....

Get Tim Ream out of there! LOL.

A backend of LB Dest, CB Brooks, CB Long and RB Yedlin/Cannon/Robinson should be good. Not sure if Yedlin is even in consideration still?

Get Tim Ream out of there! LOL.

A backend of LB Dest, CB Brooks, CB Long and RB Yedlin/Cannon/Robinson should be good. Not sure if Yedlin is even in consideration still?

Yeah, not enamored with Brooks (he seems to be a good player overseas but not as much for USMNT) he is still young enough to step up though...., but Long? we could use an upgrade there IMO...

Yedlin is an enigma, he looks like the player that would make a difference, an attacking right back, with thickness and athleticism. He has been around overseas, between injuries and inconsistency because of them I think he just hasn't panned out as that "make a difference" type player for USMNT....

y'all know more about this than i do, but i feel what's the the USMNT back for the last few cycles was wildly inconsistent play out of the mid (i soured bad on Bradley) - if we have someone in the mid who can set up runs (or even patient possession) then CP should be able to feast
if there's only a 50/50 chance that the ball crosses the mid, forwards won't be able to set up their runs/lanes - if not then everyone has to one on one
but if we can get that above average mid, we can get creative on our side (as well as taking pressure off our backs)

you can, but if there is no "link up" available, the mids hold for too long, get dis possessed and the ball is headed back toward your goal. That was THE MAIN issue with Bradley - he was keen on slowing play, while the younger players were simply moving much faster.

We simply CANNOT rely and expect CP to pull more than his weight. He is at his best when not needing to be THE MAN and THE GOAL SCORER. I hope Berhalter makes a quick decision on his WC squad and gets these guys together a lot. Being a Nov play date, the players leagues will have just kicked off, so i dont expect fatigue to be an issue. Consistency and cohesion within the scheme and strategy will be key. Ill table that discussion for when we start WC Qualifiers here later this year.

IT was all the rage in the late 80s and 90s with US soccer. Think Roy Lassitter. While the rest of the world was learning and fully tranistioning to that " hmmmm if YOU POSSESS the ball longer than your opponent, good chance you win" we were all "MURICA BEETCHES....we will just out pace you to the ball- HERE Roy - run on to this"

Yeah, not enamored with Brooks (he seems to be a good player overseas but not as much for USMNT) he is still young enough to step up though...., but Long? we could use an upgrade there IMO...

Yedlin is an enigma, he looks like the player that would make a difference, an attacking right back, with thickness and athleticism. He has been around overseas, between injuries and inconsistency because of them I think he just hasn't panned out as that "make a difference" type player for USMNT....

I've always felt like Brooks has kinda been hung out to dry at times. He's still young, like you said, but he hasn't had much to work with around him either. Long seemed to be an improving player over the last few years, although I know he's an MLS guy.

on a side note- THANK YOU MANCHESTER UNITED for inking Cavani for another year ( as he scores for UTD v Roma YET AGAIN)

Ive always admired his ability in front of goal. I cant wait til US develops someone like him. ( if we ever do )

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom