UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin (Sat. July 3rd) - Pick 'Em Contest Event (1 Viewer)

stunpals

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin
Date: Jul 03, 2010
Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
Broadcast: Pay-per-view and Spike TV

Alrighty boys, it’s time! Love him or hate him, you want to see him in the cage. Some will pan the rest of the card but I disagree. First of all, the main event itself is :worthy: of the 55 bucks (HD price). But the rest of the card shapes up to provide some nice scraps. Do the other fights have title implications? No, but neither do random Strikeforce cards. Let’s get it on.

PRELIMINARY CARD (Un-aired)
Jon Madsen vs. Karlos Vemola
I’ll do my best Peet impression and try to give a little background here. Madsen is known for his stint on TUF. Vemola is 7-0 with 3 TKOs and 4 Subs. His nickname is The Terminator and he fights out of the Czech Republic. He’s fought no one I’m familiar with so I’ll say Madsen by TUFness.

Forrest Petz vs. Daniel Roberts
Petz is the definition of a journeyman. He’s 17-7 and hasn’t fought in the UFC since a loss to Josh Burkman in October 2007. Roberts fights out of Ghost Dog and trains with Gerald Harris. TUL$A. He is really good on the ground but was viciously KO’d by John Howard in his UFC debut. Expect Roberts to GnP Petz.

Dave Branch vs. Gerald Harris
Branch trains under Renzo Gracie and is 6-0. You know I’m picking Harris so let me pose a question that is surely to go unanswered. Are they holding Harris back? He’s on a 9 fight win streak including 2-0 in the UFC. Or are they building him up, feeding him guys like Branch? I think he deserves TV time or PPV slot but I know I’m biased. Harris by KO.

Kendall Grove vs. Goran Reljic
Poor Reljic. He was going to fight on the Spike portion of the card until Grove started running his yapper. Funny thing though, Grove was correct. Spike does run most of the TUF show. I will stick with my streak of never picking Grove. Reljic by leg kicks and Kendall being unable to stand up. (although the lay off could really hurt Reljic who is returning from major knee surgery).

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)
Seth Petruzelli vs. Ricardo Romero
I’m having to look way too many of these guys up. Peet, when you are done changing diapers, feel free to re-take your role of thread starter. Just keepin’ the seat warm buddy! Silverback by ghey entrance with Tom Lawlor.

Brendan Schaub vs. Chris Tuchscherer
Tuchscherer will have the size advantage. He trains with Brock so should be in great shape. We know Tuchscherer can take multiple hard shots to the groin. Schaud by handspeed.

MAIN CARD
Kurt Pellegrino vs. George Sotiropoulos
If Sotiropoulos can sub Batman, he’ll be a fight or two away from staking his claim to a title shot. Should be an excellent back and forth battle. Pelligrino should look to keep it on the feet. Sotiropoulos via decision.

Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski[
Probably the worst fight on the main card. It’s the rematch no one asked for. So uninteresting that I forget exactly why they are rematching and don’t feel the urge to look it up.

Matt Brown vs. Chris Lytle
Lytle should get the fight to the ground where he has sneaky submissions. Knowing Lytle, he’ll want to impress the UFC and fans and stand and bang. Could spell trouble for Brown who’s coming off a loss to Almedia. No shame there. Brown by TKO.

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben
From a name recognition standpoint, going from Wanderlei Silva to Chris Leben is a huge drop off. However, from a stylistic fight point of view, not much difference at all. In fact, I almost wish Sexyama was the one who pulled out. I’d love to see a Leben/Wandi fight. Akiyama gets the nod because Leben is coming off 2-weeks rest.

Champ Brock Lesnar vs. interim champ Shane Carwin
I’ll let someone else break this fight down. I just think, if he’s 100% healthy from his ailments, Lesnar is a really tough matchup for Carwin. Lesnar via GnP.

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)
Seth Petruzelli vs. Ricardo Romero

Brendan Schaub vs. Chris Tuchscherer

MAIN CARD
Kurt Pellegrino vs. George Sotiropoulos
Kurt fell into a triangle from Nate Diaz, and George is a better grappler than Diaz. I think George controls what will become a BJJ match in the middle of the fight and gets a decision.

Meh. Kryzsztof by cooler tattoos.

Matt Brown vs. Chris Lytle
I like Matt Brown. He's tough, well rounded, and scrappy. But I think Lytle can get Brown to be overconfident, drop his hands a bit, and get flattened. Lytle by KO in the late second.

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben
Forget the two weeks. Leben's in great shape, has a head like a rock, can keep the fight standing, will have a big size advantage, and that left hand will be flying. Leben by KO in the third, after losing the first round and the second being tight.

Brock's wrestling is just too much to deal with. He'll come out early with a takedown, hold Carwin down, and pound on him until he gets pulled off. Carwin won't get a chance to let his hands go.

Sotiropoulos
Soszynski
Lytle
Akiyama
Carwin

This is probably the first PPV all year where I feel pretty confident in my picks. Hopefully, this will put more distance between me and Yeti ;)

I’ll let someone else break this fight down. I just think, if he’s 100% healthy from his ailments, Lesnar is a really tough matchup for Carwin. Lesnar via GnP.

I really think this is the key. If Lesnar is the least bit rusty, it could provide the window that Carwin needs. Let's not forget that Carwin is no slouch when it comes to wrestling, either. He's just never had to show it off.

I think Lesnar wins, but Carwin wouldn't surprise me.

Kurt Pellegrino vs George Sotiropoulos
The Wizard looked good in his last outing against Joe Stevenson. Pellegrino is a smart fighter. I think this one goes the distance with the Aussie outpointing the Amercian for a UD

Krzysztof Soszynski vs Stephan Bonnar
Hopefully Bonnar does a good Keith Jardine impersonation, gets busted up, and gets cut from the UFC so we can get some fresh, good talent in the LHW division

Chris Lytle vs Matt Brown
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8vmkgPD6XWY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8vmkgPD6XWY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Chris Leben
Looks decent, still wish it was Wanderlei in there though. That being said, I'm a big fan of Leben and right now he is feeling very strong and very confident. Akiyama is not punk, he's been doing this for a while now and has a very polished ground game to go with his heavy hands. I think Leben will get the upset either with a 3rd round stoppage or a split decision

Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin
By friday this may be the most hyped fight in MMA history. Everyone is going to be watching to see what happens when the best athlete in MMA (dont kid yourself Brock is what it is in MMA) meets a fighter who has never allowed his opponent to make it to the 2nd round.

My mind is telling me Brock is too fast, too strong, and too physical for Carwin to handle but I just have this feeling that Shane is ready to do what needs to be done and KO the freak that is Brock Lesnar. Look, we all know Brock is not unbeatable, Mir has already proved that his ground game is meh but we have yet to see what happens when someone really does to Brock what Brock does to others; punch him in his mouth. I have a feeling he's not going to like it very much. I also have doubts about his stamina. Ring rust I don't think is going to affect the fight too much, maybe a little at the beginning when I'm sure we'll see some sloppy punches from both guys going for a quick victory, but I really think Brock is going to have difficulty with someone who while not as big or strong as himself possesses the same type of demeanor, fighting style, and heavy hands that Lesnar also has. Simply put, this is gonna be a fight and the better fighter is going to win.

So here's what I'm thinking, either Brock's size and wrestling is going to overpower Carwin and Brock is gonna cruise to a GnP victory or Carwin is going to be the one to hit Brock square on his chin and put him on his ***. I'm leaning towards the latter but who knows what will happen

Getting to stun's Harris question. I think they're simply seeing what he truly has when the lights are turned on in the UFC one more time.

He got some prelim TV time on Spike before, and if he wins this I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him some sort of mid-level gatekeeper next, along the lines of a Jason McDonald/Jorge Rivera type that would be on the next prelim card. Then after that, maybe you see a Chris Leben, etc. Just a guess.

watched the Countdown show yesterday. Not one of their better efforts imho.

+gaminerie = $$

^^ I've seen her lurking enough. Didn't want the "man's thread" tag to intimidate her :hihi:

Probably the worst fight on the main card. It’s the rematch no one asked for. So uninteresting that I forget exactly why they are rematching and don’t feel the urge to look it up.
(do your research)
Hmmm, maybe because it had a controversial ending, yeah and there was alot of blood in involved since alot of people hate the wrestlers lay and pray method. So you are completely wrong this fight could end up being Fight of the Night. Btw I'm taking Lesnar and Sexyama by "SEXY CHOKE".

How Bonnar is still employed by the UFC is beyond me. They just cut Jardine and he will probably be next if he loses again.

How Bonnar is still employed by the UFC is beyond me. They just cut Jardine and he will probably be next if he loses again.
Bonnar/Griffen, UFC Ultimate Finale 1.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom