UFC 117: Silva v Sonnen (Sat., Aug 7 on PPV) (1 Viewer)

stunpals

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
UFC 117: Silva v Sonnen

Date: Aug 07, 2010
Venue: Oracle Arena
Broadcast: Pay-per-view

I will get the standings updated after this event. The Versus card was solid and a great lead in to what is a nice PPV. The UFC is smart in stacking this one with intriguing match-ps and not letting Silva and Sonnen try to drive the buys. And a side note, Who Dat!

prelims

Dennis Hallman vs. Ben Saunders
Will Hallan’s expirence win out over Saunders superior reach and endurance? Sauders via decision.

Christian Morecraft vs. Stefan Struve
“He’s tall” Kenny Mayne

Charlie Brenneman vs. Johny Hendricks
Should be a nice scrap. Brenneman was on the last TUF right? Gotta go with Hendricks, hopefully impressive so we get him on a main card soon.

Tim Boetsch vs. Todd Brown
Brown via Boetsch already being kicked out of the UFC once.

Phil Davis vs. Rodney Wallace
Davis is a late replacement and Rodney is getting no respect.

Dustin Hazelett vs. Rick Story
Story’s game is perfect for Hazelett to work his submission game. Here is hoping Hazlett isn’t gun shy after the brutal KO against Daley.

Main Card

Junior Dos Santos -330 vs. Roy Nelson +270
Surprised by the line. Nelson is a solid opponent and the most dangerous Dos Santos has faced to date. I like Junior standing but am still curious what happens when/if the fight hits the ground. Nelson is a beast on the mat. But can he get it down? I’ll take the favorite. Keep in mind, winner is in line for HW title shot.

Ricardo Almeida -180 vs. Matt Hughes +155
Another surprising line. I think Almeida is the favorite but figured Hughes name alone would bump him a little at the betting booth. Can Hughes wear down Renzo’s protégé? I could see Hughes taking a decision by outworking Almeida and I’m not sure Almeida can get it to the ground.

Rafael dos Anjos -110 vs. Clay Guida -120
Bathroom break.

Thiago Alves -115 vs. Jon Fitch -115
Hopefully Alves brain passes the test this time. I’m trying to figure out how Alves wins but the only shot is keeping it standing and KO Fitch. Well, I don’t think he can keep it standing and I don’t’ think he can KO Fitch.

Middleweight Title Fight
Champ Anderson Silva -450 vs. Chael Sonnen +330
This could be an upset in the making. Travis Lutter fight anyone? Although, I get the feeling Silva reminds everyone why he’s the best in the business.

Dos Santos over Nelson via decision. Too athletic, too hard hitting, able to stay on the feet.

Almeida over Hughes. Matt's had difficulty against good BJJ guys in the past. I think Ricardo's good enough to control Matt on the ground and get a late sub to win.

dos Anjos over Guida via UD.

Fitch over Alves. Fitch is GSP lite, so expect take down, GNP, takedown, GNP, takedown, GNP, UD.

Silva over Sonnen in a reminder to the MMA world who the best in the world is. Brutal KO in the first.

only fight that is worth watching is Santos Big Country fight imho... any-who here are my lame picks...

Big Country
Almeida
Anjos
Alves
Chael

Junior Dos Santos vs. Roy Nelson
I don't think this one will even be close. They both know that whoever wins gets a title shot so anything can happen but I just see JDS being too quick for Nelson to punch or takedown. Dos Santos via 1st round KO

Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Hughes
Don't know why but I have a feeling that Hughes gets the win via split decision

Rafael dos Anjos vs. Clay Guida
This one should be fun. I love Guida and dos Anjos aint half bad. Should see some fireworks in this fight. I'll take Guida via TKO

Thiago Alves vs. Jon Fitch
Alves is a good fighter but Fitch is as solid as they come. I see him slapping Thiago around for 3 rounds for a UD

Middleweight Title Fight
Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen
This one will not go past 2 rounds. I see Spider getting a KO in the late first or early 2nd

only fight that is worth watching is Santos Big Country fight imho... any-who here are my lame picks...

Big Country
Almeida
Anjos
Alves
Chael
I thumbed up your post after reviewing our respective standings in the pick'em contest. :D

Prelims

Dennis Hallman vs. Ben Saunders
I have been a Saunders fan since his stint on TUF. He's a pretty exciting fighter that can really throw down some punishment with knees and other strikes. Hallman's a very crafty vet, the type of fighter that could neutralize Ben's office, but in the end I think Saunders takes it via mid-to-late TKO.

Christian Morecraft vs. Stefan Struve
Don't know anything about Morecraft, but Struve has shown some decent ability, though he can be outclassed by others in the division. 1st round RNC.

Charlie Brenneman vs. Johny Hendricks
The little I've seen of Hendricks has impressed me enough...decision victory.

Tim Boetsch vs. Todd Brown
Brown's probably the better fighter, and while Boetsch is solid, I think he loses to better fighters. Brown via armbar.

Phil Davis vs. Rodney Wallace
Davis is a a talented guy. Coming in as a late replacement always scares me in terms of picking that fighter (no stats to back that up, just in terms of undercard fights it seems a bad thing), but Davis is too talented. 2nd round TKO.

Dustin Hazelett vs. Rick Story
McLovin will earn some lovin' as is often the case, when he cinches up a triangle for submission of the night.

Main Card

Junior Dos Santos -330 vs. Roy Nelson +270
I'm actually surprised by this line as well. Nelson's been around, beaten some guys, and is a game opponent with name recognition. Honestly I would have expected +180 or less easily. That said, he's always lost to better opponents, and I have to believe JDS is the better opponent. He'll probably batter Nelson with his reach, and stuff a desperate take down attempt or two when Nelson feels in trouble, leading to a kill shot, and late KO.

Ricardo Almeida -180 vs. Matt Hughes +155
I'm not at all surprised at this line OTOH, I think they got it right. Hughes has an outside chance of controlling Almeida and winning with wrestling, but he would have to get him down and stay in top position with some Lay 'n Pray. Hughes was the best WW in the UFC for 5 years, but his time has passed and father time is knocking. Almeida via armbar in the 1st or early second.

Rafael dos Anjos -110 vs. Clay Guida -120
I'm not really a Clay Guida fan. To me he is one of the most overhyped fighters in terms of execution and excitement even. That said, I do think he will out of dos Anjos, and either bleed or sweat enough to avoid the submission in the first round, making him slippery and difficult to put away late, and dos Anjos isn't going to KO him. I think Guida takes a split decision, or razor thin unanimous decision.

Thiago Alves -115 vs. Jon Fitch -115
I'm legitimately torn on this fight. All things considered though, Fitch has beat Alves before (though it was a different version 4 years ago), has beaten solid opponents, and fought the last year while Alves has been off for over a year. I tend to side with the fighter who is active and with no rust...and while Alves is the more dangerous fighter, I just have a gut feeling that Fitch pulls off his standard unanimous decision win.

Middleweight Title Fight
Champ Anderson Silva -450 vs. Chael Sonnen +330
I hate Chael Sonnen. He's done his job selling his fight. The Sherdog prognosticator (Tomas Rios) got it right when he said, "A focused Silva puts Sonnen away in less than 10 minutes, a playful one humiliates him for the full 25."

If Chael took the first round by controlling Silva on the ground, it would only make Silva turn it on in the second round due to anger. If Chael never controls Silva, then it doesn't matter. Either way I see no chance to see Silva lose this fight, even though his lack of caring the last 2-3 fights has disappointed me. Silva via TKO, 2nd round.

Just watched the video and I have a few observations:

I normally hate street fight videos. I really hate them. This one made me happy.

The guy that hit the girl is a coward. He was bigger than the girl and it even looked like he was bigger than Huerta. I would have loved to have been there when he woke up and realized he got beaten by Huerta. He got what he deserved.

Wished I could have seen Huerta smoke him up close.

Big Country
Almeida
Anjos
Alves
Chael

How could anyone not be interested in seeing Fitch/Alves or Silva/Sonnen? This is prob one of the best cards in a while. Here's who I got

Sonnen
Fitch
Dos Santos (by whatever he wants)
Almeida
Guida

For the under
Saunders
Struve
Davis
Brown
Story

Also it looks like the stomper had a shirt on. Huerta's had his shirt off.

Also it looks like the stomper had a shirt on. Huerta's had his shirt off.

I agree it looks like the guy stomping was wearing a grey muscle shirt but it's hard to tell.

That idiot that hit the female got exactly what he deserved. It looked like a couple guys were still wanting to get after him while he was on the ground knocked out cold.

I just wish the camera man knew to follow the fight and got the money shot!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom