UFC 117: Silva v Sonnen (Sat., Aug 7 on PPV) (1 Viewer)

Also it looks like the stomper had a shirt on. Huerta's had his shirt off.

Good point. Roger did have a gray shirt on to start with, so I suppose someone could have given it to him and he put it back on quickly, but that's unrealistic.

How could anyone not be interested in seeing Fitch/Alves or Silva/Sonnen?

LOL when was the last time you actually saw an entertaining fight from Fitch or Spider? The UFC pays Anderson to dance and Fitch to lay and pray. The Fitch vs Thiago fight will be a repeat of Thiago vs GSP only more boring...

LOL when was the last time you actually saw an entertaining fight from Fitch or Spider? The UFC pays Anderson to dance and Fitch to lay and pray. The Fitch vs Thiago fight will be a repeat of Thiago vs GSP only more boring...
Watching Silva in his last couple fights is like watching Alabama vs. U of Southern Alabama.

I dunno, just really enjoyed this pic.

ept_sports_mma_experts-734860154-1280861370.jpg

From sherdog: "Based at the Triton Fight Center in Oklahoma, Budnik went 1-3 during a failed stint in World Extreme Cagefighting. The oldest cast member on Season 12, he turns 36 next week. Budnik last competed at a C3 Fights show in July, when he submitted Anthony Macias with a second-round choke. He has secured seven of his nine victories by knockout, technical knockout or submission. "

He's a really great guy. Down to earth. Solid grappler. Watched him fight Rich Clementi in a championship fight. Rich submitted him in the 4th round but it was a fantastic grappling clinic.

Are u seriously thinking this fight is gonna look anything like Silva vs. Maia or leites. Its a completely different match up. Styles make fights and I doubt Sonnen is planning on dropping to the ground every time Silva comes forward. High level grappler vs high level wrestler is one of the best matchups in Mma

Dennis Hallman vs. Ben Saunders
I think this is a bad match-up for Hallman. In order for him to win he is going to have to get this fight to the ground and in order to do that, he is going to have to get inside of the taller Saunders. The problem with that is Saunders actually has a good thai clinch and his size and knees are going to give Hallman fits.

I think Hallman would have to have wrestling skills like Jon Fitch, but sadly he doesn't.

I see this fight ending with a brutal knee as Hallman looks to get inside.

Saunders via tko.

Christian Morecraft vs. Stefan Struve
I think Struve is going to submit Morecraft.

Charlie Brenneman vs. Johny Hendricks
I just don't know why Hendricks is fighting on the undercard. I think he is a good fighter that deserves to be on a bigger stage.

As for the fight, I think Hendricks is probably the best wrestler Brenneman will fight and add into that Hendricks power and boxing and it is going to spell out a long or possibly quick night for Brenneman. After a failed takedown I see Hendricks ending this fight via tko.

Tim Boetsch vs. Todd Brown
Stepping in for Thiago Silva is Todd Brown. After watching some highlights on him, I see that he swings with abandon, but that is going to get him in trouble in the UFC where fighters have the defensive ability to get past what local fighter can't.

I think this fight last only a round, but it will be a fun one.

Boetsch via tko rd 1.

Phil Davis vs. Rodney Wallace
I am really like Phil Davis. As for the fight, I think Davis is the better fighter. Wallace seems to like to throw with power while setting up his shots, but the problem here is that Davis is the better wrestler and he has shown that he can pass a guard instead of being content to sit inside and ground and pound like some wrestlers turned fighters.

Wherever this fight goes, I think Davis is better.

I'll take Davis via tko rd 2.

Dustin Hazelett vs. Rick Story
Hazelett should win this fight via sub. I think that Story is the type of fighter that Hazelett should face to bounce back from his loos to Paul Daley. For Stroy to win, he is going to have to ko the lanky Hazelett, because if the fight hits the ground Story is going to get subbed.

I just don't think Story has the stand-up skills to end this fight and I only see it ending via sub for Hazelett.

Hazelett via rnc rd 2.

Main Card

Junior Dos Santos vs. Roy Nelson
Interesting match-up. Nelson has good power and a strong chin and he is going to need it in this fight. Dos Santos is going to be the faster fighter. He has solid boxing skills and the power to compliment it. The only facet of his game we haven't seen is his ground. From what I hear, it is very good.

I think in order for Nelson to win, he is going to have to get this fight to the ground and keep it there. I think he will have to smother Dos Santos because I think Dos Santos is smart enough to not get caught in the crucifix.

For some reason I have a feeling deep inside my gut that we might see an upset, but I will not go with that pick. I will go with who I think is the better fighter and I think it's Dos Santos.

Junior Dos Santos via tko rd 2.

Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Hughes
A few years ago I would have picked Hughes in a hearbeat. Now, I think he is at the end of his career. His fight with Renzo did nothing to make me think otherwise.

I think Almeida is going to be relentless in working for the takedown and I think he will get this fight to the mat eventually where he will present problems for Hughes.

I think this fight ends up via dec to Almeida. I think Hughes best days are gone and I don't think he has the pop in his hands to pull out a stunning ko victory.

Rafael dos Anjos vs. Clay Guida
This should be the first fight of the night. We all know what Guida is going to do. He is going to try to kget this fight to the mat and keep it there while he smothers Dos Anjos. I think Dos Anjos has the game to keep that from happening.

Dos Anjos is a good grappler and he will be active enough to keep Guida from getting comfortable in his guard.

On the feet, I think Dos Anjos will have the slight advantage.

I also believe that Guida will have a problem becuase Dos Anjos is a southpaw. Florian gave Guida problems and I think the same will happen.

I think this fight is going to end in a rnc for Dos Anjos in rd 3.

Thiago Alves vs. Jon Fitch
I am glad to see Alves bounce back. I think the first fight between these two can be thrown out the window as Alves has dramatically improved his takedown defense.

The only problem is that Fitch is not one to show a fast shot, but he finishes his takedowns after grinding his opponent against the cage. This is where he will need to be careful as Alves is strong and he can throw a dangerous knee.

Another thing that scares me is that Fitch was cracked by Mike Pierce in rd three and Pierce's stand-up will not be mentioned in the same breath as Alves. If Alves can fight off the takedowns and avoid being made love to against the cage he can methodically pick apart Fitch. He has stinging leg kicks and I could see him using his boxing in much the way that GSP did against Fitch.

The only thing that scares me is the layoff. How will it affect Alves who is pretty solid for his weightclass? Will he have enough to grind it out against Fitch who seems to have an endless gas tank? All questions that will be answered.

In the end, I am leaning towards Thiago Alves winning a split dec.

Middleweight Title Fight
Champ Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen
We know what we are going to see in this fight. Sonnen will do everything in his power to get this fight to the ground and keep it there. In my opinion, he does have the ability to get this fight down, but what can he do when he gets it there?

Sonnen is content to sit in his opponents guard and posture up to throw big strikes. He will do it all the time. The problem here is Silva's long legs will give Sonnen fits if he does this. Silva can look for armbars and triangles and he is defensive enough to wait for stand-ups.

To get the takedown, Sonnen is going to have to get inside Silva to get his takedown. The problem here is that Silva is perfectly content to counter punch. This means Sonnen will have to wade into the deep end of the pool to finish his takedowns. How much damage is Sonnen willing to take to finish his takedown??

I also have to wonder about his trash talking. While I know he is playing mind games, sometimes Sonnen's trash talk can be quite delusional. He says that Silva has been ducking him for years. Will this trash talk turn the counter puncher into the aggressor? If so, it will leave Silva open for the takedown.

I was looking at the stare down pic last night and you could see fire in Silva's eyes. I think after all this trash talk he is going to want to make a statement and he is going to use Chael Sonnen's face to make that statement.

I think Silva is going to put away Sonnen late in rd 1 or possibly early rd 2.

Well, that's it. I hope I get some right.

Prelims

Dennis Hallman vs. Ben Saunders
Via hoping for a replay of Saunders vs. Wolff.

Christian Morecraft vs. Stefan Struve
Via dutch-ness.

Charlie Brenneman vs. Johny Hendricks
Via Hendricks could secretly be really, really good.

Tim Boetsch vs. Todd Brown
Via me not knowing who Todd Brown is.

Phil Davis vs. Rodney Wallace
Via some kind of wonderful.

Dustin Hazelett vs. Rick Story
Via Story is not that well written.

Main Card

Junior Dos Santos vs. Roy Nelson
Via did you know that Junior Dos Santos once beat a guy named Geronimo Dos Santos?

Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Hughes
Via believing Hughes could grind out a close decision - it would be an upset, but remember Almeida vs. Cote?

Rafael dos Anjos vs. Clay Guida
Via dos Anjos appears to have improved in every fight, vs. stagnation from Guida.

Thiago Alves vs. Jon Fitch
Via wishful thinking - Alves winning means KO, Fitch winning means decision (boring)

Middleweight Title Fight

Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen
Hopefully via embarrassing KO, and not via embarrassing jabs+dancing.

Sonnen needs to be shut up and put back in his place. I'm really hoping for a James Irvin/Forrest Griffen-esque fight from Anderson.

fitch-is-a-lay-and-pray-wrestler

but,anderson-has-hours-of-highlight-reel-knockout-tape
last-time-was-vs-forrest-and-everyone-else-after-that-pretty-much-ran

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom