UFC 120: Bisping v Akiyama (Saturday, Oct. 16 – Free on Spike) (1 Viewer)

stunpals

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
UFC 120: Bisping v Akiyama (Saturday, Oct. 16 – Free on Spike)

London, England
Lots of Brits on the card, but not too many bums. Actually, several bums which is why it’s free on Spike. I’m sure we’ll be reminded several times during the broadcast of the Lesnar v Velasquez PPV card the following week.

Fabio Maldonado v James McSweeney
I do not know anything about Maldonado, other than the fact he isn’t McSweeney, which is enough for me.

Spencer Fisher v Kurt Warburton
I keep waiting for Fisher to capture some of his old magic. Maybe it’s just not coming back at this point.

Mark Holst v Paul Sass
:idunno:

Steve Cantwell v Stanislav Nedkov
He sounds like a WWF character

Rob Broughton v Vinicius Kappke de Quieroz
On name alone :17:

Cyrille Diabate v Alexander Gustafsson
As long as he keeps it on his feet…

Main Card

Claude Patrick v James Wilks
Wilks sucks :9:

Travis Browne + 160 v Cheick Kongo -200
GnP clinic

John Hathaway -500 v Mike Pyle +350
Poor Pyle

Carlos Condit +140 v Dan Hardy -170
I thinkl Hardy proved against GSP he can at least survive on the ground. On there feet, I give Hardy the edge.

Yoshihiro Akiyama +180 v Michael Bisping -230
I really want to pick Sexyama. I even tried to rationalize visiting Team Jackson would improve his chances but I'm thinking Bisping is just too well rounded.

Main Card

Claude Patrick v James Wilks

Travis Browne + 160 v Cheick Kongo -200

John Hathaway -500 v Mike Pyle +350

Carlos Condit +140 v Dan Hardy -170
I can't wait for this fight. Condit by rape/spit.

Yoshihiro Akiyama +180 v Michael Bisping -230
I'm not a huge Bisping fan, but I think he's got a definite size advantage and is well rounded enough to control where the fight happens and take advantage of Akiyama in the clinch and standing. If I were coaching Akiyama, I'd strongly suggest dropping down to 170. He's not big enough to contend with the western fighters at 185, most of which are cutting down from 210 or so.

Sexyama by "Sexy choke" over Bisping. Carlos Condit is a beast well at least he was when he was WEC champion.

This is an absolutely terrible card IMHO.

BS.. It's worth every penny.

In terms of the $0.41 or whatever Spike charges my cable company per month, then of course. I'll never actually complain about getting free high-level MMA...and this still is exactly that.

However, for an actual UFC event, I've seen better fight nights, let alone numbered UFC events. The main event has no implications whatsoever for the MW division. Both guys are well outside the top 6 or 8 in the UFC title hunt. The Hardy/Condit fight is a little more intriguing in that regard, especially if you are a Dan Hardy fan (which I am), but even then the implications aren't clear because we still have GSP/Kos coming up, followed by a title shot against Fitch by the winner...so even Hardy would undoubtedly have to fight again once or probably twice before getting another crack at the title. There simply isn't any intrigue in the matchups and there's only 1 fighter in the Top 10 of his division (Hardy), and the undercard is just atrocious.

I still expect great action, and will enjoy every minute. But to me this feels like a typical European UFC throw-away card...except 10 times worse.

In terms of the $0.41 or whatever Spike charges my cable company per month, then of course. I'll never actually complain about getting free high-level MMA...and this still is exactly that.

However, for an actual UFC event, I've seen better fight nights, let alone numbered UFC events. The main event has no implications whatsoever for the MW division. Both guys are well outside the top 6 or 8 in the UFC title hunt. The Hardy/Condit fight is a little more intriguing in that regard, especially if you are a Dan Hardy fan (which I am), but even then the implications aren't clear because we still have GSP/Kos coming up, followed by a title shot against Fitch by the winner...so even Hardy would undoubtedly have to fight again once or probably twice before getting another crack at the title. There simply isn't any intrigue in the matchups and there's only 1 fighter in the Top 10 of his division (Hardy), and the undercard is just atrocious.

I still expect great action, and will enjoy every minute. But to me this feels like a typical European UFC throw-away card...except 10 times worse.
It's MMA. It's free. It's a card with a couple guys I like (Kongo, Condit), one guy I can't stand (Bisping), and a couple I don't care about.

On paper it looks horrible. Which means every fight will have a finish. 2 people will go to sleep. Somebody will get put in a sub that leaves everyone going "Wha.... how'd he do that?" And someone will win in an upset and look like a world beater in the process.

Or one could hope.

I'm a big fan of Sexyama, but I have a feeling Bisping will skip his way to victory. Sexyama just doesn't have the handspeed or power Wandy had to catch him whenever he's jabbing and running. Damn... I hate fighters like Bisping. What a terrible main event I foresee with this card. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, Sexyama can somehow put the Brit down.

Condit vs. Hardy - Hardy's the most overrated fighter currently in the sport. Condit will take him down and control him for all three rounds, maybe even tapping him out. No doubt.

Hathaway over Pyle.

Browne over Kongo.

And Patrick over Wilks.

I agree this isn't the best card, but I really don't care, either. We got Noons vs. Diaz for free last week, a UFC for free this week, and one of the most stacked cards the UFC has ever put on next week. I see nothing to complain about.

It is the UFC way.

A mediocre European card, for free on Spike, to promote the following week's mega-card featuring it's main attraction.

Having said that, it is atrocious :covri:

If people would quit buying ppvs, all mma fights would be free (cable tv).

If people would quit buying ppvs, all mma fights would be free (cable tv).

No one's ever going to stop buying PPVs, that's where the great fights are and the fact of the matter is that people want to see the best test each other against one another. That isn't going to happen on free TV. Just look at boxing, a mega-fight still draws 1M PPV buys (or in some cases like Mayweather vs Oscar a few years back, many more)...despite the sport being dead in essence. If Pac and Mayweather ever actually did fight in the next year or so, it would shatter all records with room to spare. That's what the UFC sees, and given their status as the undisputed king of the mountain, there is zero reason to think that will change as of yet.

It's the WWF/WWE model to be honest, and it's worked for years. PPVs are great money-makers. A TV deal is a great money-maker. Combine the two and use one to hype the other and it's basically the golden goose.

No one's ever going to stop buying PPVs, that's where the great fights are and the fact of the matter is that people want to see the best test each other against one another. That isn't going to happen on free TV. Just look at boxing, a mega-fight still draws 1M PPV buys (or in some cases like Mayweather vs Oscar a few years back, many more)...despite the sport being dead in essence. If Pac and Mayweather ever actually did fight in the next year or so, it would shatter all records with room to spare. That's what the UFC sees, and given their status as the undisputed king of the mountain, there is zero reason to think that will change as of yet.

It's the WWF/WWE model to be honest, and it's worked for years. PPVs are great money-makers. A TV deal is a great money-maker. Combine the two and use one to hype the other and it's basically the golden goose.

Yes, I understand all this. It will only change if people collectively quit buying ppv. The best fights in history cost nothing other than the cost of a tv to watch. The people who remember those days are dying off year by year unfortunately. The younger folks accept ppv as a fact of life.

Yes, I understand all this. It will only change if people collectively quit buying ppv. The best fights in history cost nothing other than the cost of a tv to watch. The people who remember those days are dying off year by year unfortunately. The younger folks accept ppv as a fact of life.

Valid points. I do think it is a fact of life though. Times evolve.

Years ago, during the classic boxing era (most of which was admittedly before my time), there were only so many channel options. PPV didn't even exist. It's been a slow progression, but with progress comes more options. Some are "good." Some are "bad." But ultimately for all of history you have to pay to get the best of the best. If your daughter was a beauty it may be 4 cows instead of 2 for her hand in marriage. If you wanted to watch shows at your convenience, you had to get a VCR to record them. It's just the natural progression. You've always had to pay more to get access to the best items (if you wanted to watch Ali/Foreman instead of listen to it on the radio...then you had to own a TV). I still think it's the same concept, just modernized.

Well, unless the consumers unite and take a stand, progress is going to lead us all to the time when we have to pay $50+ a pop to watch Saints games. I really don't think the NFL is too far away from doing it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom