UFC 79 Silva vs Liddell Sat Night (1 Viewer)

peglegpeet13

23-3 What a Night!!!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This saturday night, a fight that I have wanted to see since the Pride GP in 2003. Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva will meet in the UFC. Some say that these two are in the twilights of their careers, both coming off of consecutive losses for the first times in their careers. And where will I be when a fight I have been waiting for a very long time to see? At my couples shower, unable to watch:(

Anyway here is my usual rundown

Jordan Radev Vs. Dean Lister: Lister via sub

Mark Bocek Vs. Doug Evans: Evans via Dec

Roan Carneiro Vs. Tony DeSouza: Desouza

Nate Mohr Vs. Manny Gamburyan : Gamburyan via sub

Luis Cane Vs. James Irvin: Irvin via TKO

Soa Palelei Vs. Eddie Sanchez: Sanchez

Rich Clementi Vs. Melvin Guillard : A Louisiana grudge match. These two hate each other. There is a long history that will be settled this weekend. Guillard is coming off his drug suspension and I think that Clementi will be too much for him to handle. Clementi via sub.

Lyoto Machida Vs. Rameau Sokoudjou: Quite an interesting fight. Sok has made his name off of two huge upsets in Pride. Machida is a really good fighter, although he has the distinction of putting on snooze-fests due to his countering style. He will be forced to counter due to Soks aggressive style, but in the end I see Machida getting another win and setting up a title shot in the near future.

Chuck Liddell Vs. Wanderlei Silva: Here it is the fight I have wanted to see. This will come down to who has lost the step. Silva has always been ultra-aggressive and Liddell is a classic counter puncher, coming with punches from every possible angle. I am torn on this fight and it is very hard for me to pick a winner. Liddell had a hard time countering with Jardine. In the end I think that Silva is going to be the one that comes out with the win. I am very torn on this fight, but I will stick with my pick of Silva.

Main Event:
Matt Hughes Vs. Georges St-Pierre: Interim title fight. Hughes was supposed to fight Matt Serra, the man that had one of the biggest upsets of the year over GSP. What will be different about this fight, the third between these two fighters? Can Hughes shake off the last fight between the to that ended with him on the mat? I think he could, but I just don't see him beating GSP in this fight. Hughes is a legend in this sport and I would like to see him win to set up a fight with him and Serra. In the end, GSP will be too strong, too fast and too good on this night for Hughes to win. I see GSP winning and setting up a rematch with Matt Serra.

Well, that is it. Let's hear them.

Last edited:
My heart says Iceman but my head says axe murderer. Go Chuck!

As for GSP vs Hughes, I dont care for either of these guys though they are both great fighters. I will pull for Hughes for two reasons.

1 I like Matt Serra after watching him on TUF. He seems like a cool guy and I want to see him get his wish of fighting Hughes. I think Hughes would probably kill him, but I'd be pullin' for "The Terror" anyway.

2 Hughes is American. GSP is Canadian. Much like the Olympics, I gotta go with my fellow American. No offense to any Canadians out there. :hihi:

-EDIT- Sorry you wont get to watch it. Should be an awesome night of fights. I will be drinking many a beer and watching along with my brother and cousin and a few other fans who are coming over. Drunk+MMA+Getting together with family I dont see too often=:rock:

Last edited:
Matt Hughes is a jerk. I hope GSP beats him as bad as he did last time.

As for Chuck vs Silva, I don't think I could stand to see Chuck lose again. I know things come to an end for everybody, but I'd like to see Chuck get some revenge before his end comes.

Unfortunately, it looks like Chuck might be done. I know a lot of people don't like him, but I still do. He certainly looks to have lost a step, and with his style, losing a little bit of reflexes means its over. We'll see.

man i have met chuck liddels best friend and liddels girlfriend in florida and was a guest of theirs. liddel is a major party guy and is undiscipline now. i said before he fought rampage that he has to watch his punches. he said why. now i am a big saints fan but i LOVE boxing i have watched every boxing fight that comes on TV the past 8 years. I said the problem with the ufc vs pride is pride has ring ropes but guys like couture who fight in the ufc use the octagon walls to tire guys out. see griffen vs rua. that said pride is MMA not boxing + wrestling like UFC is.

UFC lost its way with fame. I read a quote on sherrdog that said their is UFC and MMA. ok back to my point about liddell. people always respected his punches. Rampage learned how to box. Notice his hands up chin tucked and head movement. i know for a fact that liddel tries to stop his habit of his off his back foot body punches that leaves his face wide open. hence rampage threw the punch like a boxer and connected.

this might be a close fight but silva will win. if silvia can hang with henderson then chuck has no chance.plus chuck cant stop his party life. the UFC will be ruled by rampage b/c it is some kinda of glorified boxing event. it is not MMA. it is very sad to see what has become of the UFC. As i said before i wish MMA was still around. MMA guys is like the movie blood sport. i just cant stand when they stand straight up and throw punches then do take downs. no round house no catching punches and knee to ribs etc..

UFC has really hijacked the sport but please it is not MMA.

Bitter pride fanboy, LMAO. Pride was ALWAYS inferior to the UFC and the fact that UFC midcarders have beaten some of Prides biggest names just proves it. Much to the dismay of the supposed "real, hardcore mma fans" on places like sherdog. Need more proof? Which ones still putting on great cards like the one I'll order saturday, and which one does not exist anymore? Exactly.

As for the ring vs octagon debate, call me when the ring no longer makes the fight have to be stopped because its in the ropes, taken to the center of the ring, and restarted from "close to" the position the two fighters were in when they got in the ropes. Thats frickin lame.

hey i am not a pride fanboy. i like all contact sports. i think the cage gives guys a major advantage. come on be honest. what happened when the UFC fought in pride? i just think UFC could ruin contact sports. UFC is not MMA.

Wow, just wow. Go hijack another thread, please. It's a worthy discussion about the differences in rules, etc, but not on this thread. :covri:

well i got my money on silva and GSP.

silva is -130 on the moneyline but GSP is a big favorte. if any of you guys bet silva is just free money.

I, too, see Silva and GSP winning, although it should be a very entertaining night.

Alright, I'll get in here and go on record. Coming off a 9-0 UFC TUF Finale, maybe I can keep the streak alive. :hihi:

Jordan Radev Vs. Dean Lister: Lister via sub

Mark Bocek Vs. Doug Evans: Evans via TKO or decision.

Roan Carneiro Vs. Tony DeSouza: Desouza via sub

Nate Mohr Vs. Manny Gamburyan : Gamburyan via sub

Luis Cane Vs. James Irvin: Irvin via KO

Soa Palelei Vs. Eddie Sanchez: Sanchez either decision or mid-to-late TKO

Rich Clementi Vs. Melvin Guillard : Man, this one will be crazy...as will be the case with a few fights, I simply cannot pick against people I cheer hard for. In this case the person is Melvin Guillard. He's the typical "if only" type of guy. Well, if only he could get his head together he could have a good run in the UFC LW division. I think (am pulling for) he will eventually overwhelm Clementi with his speed and avoid getting caught this time. Guillard via decision or mid-to-late TKO.

Lyoto Machida Vs. Rameau Sokoudjou: Other than the Chuck/Wand fight, this is actually the one I am looking forward to the most I think. I want to see what Sok can do against a solid, experienced, undefeated fighter. We pretty much know from past experience that if Machida gets the win he will win via decision...while Sok will knock out Machida. This should be a great fight since a) Sok is an aggressive fighter and b) Machida is a counter-fighter. The styles should really make this one a good one. I'm curious to see what Sok has in the gas tank, since we've never really seen him pushed deep into a fight since his debut in a small show that none of us saw. I think ultimately with Sok will catch Machida with aggressiveness, and the coaching of Team Quest will simply be invaluable. Sok via TKO.

Chuck Liddell Vs. Wanderlei Silva: Man, I am so excited. Without question, I will not pick Chuck. I'm simply not a Liddell fan, and never have been though I respect what he has accomplished and done for the sport...but I've always been on the other side of the coin and am a die hard Wand fan. If Wand were smart he could submit Chuck (if he got him down and kept him down, which is close to impossible with Chuck though)...but these two are going to bang...but I think we see a more focused, rested (especially compared to what Chuck has done since Wand's last fight), determined Silva this fight. Also, on just an MMA note, I think a Silva win would mean so much more to the UFC and MMA considering Chuck is nearing the end at 38 years old, while Silva might have a good 5-7 years left to make his mark in America. I can't pick against Wand, and while I think this is close to 50/50, I will say Wand via TKO in the 3rd.

Main Event:
Matt Hughes Vs. Georges St-Pierre: Well, I would say I want to see Hughes win, just so I can see Serra/Hughes fight like they were meant to...but it's damn near impossible to pick against GSP. We may still get that Serra fight in about a year either way...so GSP via 4th round TKO.

Great thread as always Peet. See ya'll after the fights.

I can't wait. Some flipping of the birds between Silva and Chuck. These two are going to come out swinging.

AHHHHHHHHH - better late than never (which could apply to Liddell Silva or my appearance online after a week off)

Which is the 5th main card fight and does it matter?

Jordan Radev Vs. Dean Lister: Lister GnP

Mark Bocek Vs. Doug Evans: Evans dec

Roan Carneiro Vs. Tony DeSouza: Careiro sub

Nate Mohr Vs. Manny Gamburyan : Gamburyan dec

Luis Cane Vs. James Irvin: Sandman tko

Soa Palelei Vs. Eddie Sanchez: Sanchez tko

Rich Clementi Vs. Melvin Guillard : Guillard tko

Lyoto Machida Vs. Rameau Sokoudjou: Soko flash tko

Chuck Liddell Vs. Wanderlei Silva: Silva will be able to take Liddell down (training with Randy) and earn some points in the second. Liddell will gas after fighting to stand back up and eventually get KO in the 3rd. Or.... Liddell catches Silva in the 1st on a shoot attempt. Or.. and this is the official prediction... Silva with an early 2nd rd KO. Damn am I excited for this fight.

Main Event:
Matt Hughes Vs. Georges St-Pierre: Who's to say GSP is recovered from the A$$ whoopin he took from Serra. Hughes by tko via GnP.

I'm ordering the HD version tonite for the first time and inviting everyone I know over to the house. I'm going to convert sports fans in mass tonite.

*****Spoiler*****

Chuck looked awesome again. He is back to fighting with his old style.

how was it. i didnt see it. was chuck and silva MMA or just boxing and i heard GSP owned hughes. i didnt here what happened with the liddel fight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom