UFC 80: Penn vs Stevenson Saturday Night (1 Viewer)

peglegpeet13

23-3 What a Night!!!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well,it's back this weekend. The UFC returns to PPV with an interim lightweight title fight between one of my favorite fighters in BJ Penn taking on Joe "Daddy" Stevenson. This will be the start of three UFC events that are very close.

Here is my typical rundown and picks that are sure to turn out completely wrong.

Per Eklund Vs. Sam Stout:
Stout is a tough fight for anyone. He is coming off of a tough loss to Spencer Fisher. He is very good on the feet, but he has problems on the ground. Eklund is a Swedish fighter making his UFc debut. He has fought some tough competition in losing to Tatsuya Kawajiri. As usual, I think that the debuting fighter will be somewhat overwhelmed. I see Stout ending this one on the feet.

James Lee Vs. Alessio Sakara:
Lee is also making his UFC debut, but he has fought on the big stage before, defesting Travis Wiuff in Prides second foray into the US. Sakara, to me has been a huge disappointment. He has been hyped as having great boxing skills, but I haven't been impressed by anything I have never seen before. I think Lee makes a good debut with a win against a fighter that I don't see coming back to the UFC for some time.

Paul Kelly Vs. Paul Taylor
Taylor fought well in his last loss to Marcus Davis. I expect him to get back on track with a win against Kelly

Antoni Hardonk Vs. Colin Robinson
Hardonk had a less than stellar UFC debut. Same goes with Robinson. I would like to see Hardonks kickboxing skills that I have heard about, but if Robinson is smart, he won't let that happen. Hardonk is like a fish out of water on the ground and I expect Robinson to take him down and grind out a dec win.

Jorge Rivera Vs. Kendall Grove
I don't like and will never like Grove, therefore I wil never pick him to win. There is something about him that I just can't stand. I hope Rivera wins and I will continue to pick against Grove. Rivera wins.

Wilson Gouveia Vs. Jason Lambert
I think this will be a good fight. I think that Lambert will try to get the takedown and look to ground and pound his way to a dec and I think that this is how this fight will end up. I see Lambert taking this one via Dec

Jess Liaudin Vs. Marcus Davis
Guys like Griffin, Bonnar Stevenson and Guillard have been getting most of the spotlight after leaving TUF, but if there is one fighter that has been very good since appearing on the show, it is Marcus Davis. The man is on a tear and has been getting better and better with each fight. I think he continues his winnig ways.

Gabriel Gonzaga Vs. Fabricio Werdum
This is a rematch between to fighters that are each coming off of losses. Werdum has beaten some very good fighters, the same goes for Gonzaga. These two last met in 2003 when Werdum got the win via TKO. I think Gonzaga has improved leaps and bounds. I see him revenging his loss and getting back into the swing of things in the Heavyweight division.

MAIN EVENT for the LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE
BJ Penn vs Joe Stevenson
This fight is happening due to Sean Sherks steroid battle. I think this was a good pick for an interim title fight. Looking at the matchup, I try to look at different aspects of a fight and run them through my mind. In each category, I see Penn as the better fighter. Stevenson is good on the ground, but he is no BJ Penn. On the feet, I think Penn is better. I see no reason that an in shape BJ Penn loses to Stevenson. Word is that Penn is training as hard as ever and I think he will get the win which will set up a Champ vs Champ fight against Sean sherk.

So on the 23rd, we have fight night headlined with Mike Swick against Josh Burkman, then we have UFC 81 on Feb 2nd featuring a loan awaited Pride vs UFC title fight in Time Sylvia vs Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira as well as former WWE star Brock Lesnar against Frank Mir. More on those cards a little later, but until then lets hear you thoughts.

My thoughts are this: Put Sean Sherk back on roids and let him fight BJ Penn with or without roids, however he usually fights. That to me is the fight of the year, Penn who's unstoppable vs. Sherk who's unstoppable.

Oh, and put St. Pierre in there against Anderson Silva. Different weight classes, but I don't care. Somebody make it happen. And winner gets Rampage. And winner of that gets Pacman Jones

Silva needs to get past Henderson first. If Silva does beat Henderson, St. Pierre may be the only guy who has a shot at beating him.

pegleg - what's the hate toward Groves? I haven't necessarily seen a killer instinct with him, but he's a pretty good fighter IMO.

It's hard for me to pick against Gonzaga, because every time I think of him I see Crokop's leg folding under him like a lawn chair. Urgh.

The Penn/Stevenson fight IMO comes down to how BJ trains. I think if he gets in shape he wins.

pegleg - what's the hate toward Groves? I haven't necessarily seen a killer instinct with him, but he's a pretty good fighter IMO.

It's hard for me to pick against Gonzaga, because every time I think of him I see Crokop's leg folding under him like a lawn chair. Urgh.

The Penn/Stevenson fight IMO comes down to how BJ trains. I think if he gets in shape he wins.

I am not sure. There is just something about him that rubs me the wrong way. It's just one of those things, but I will not deny that he is a good fighter, he just got caught in his last fight against Cote.

Stout's a vet and has solid stand up as Peet alluded to. SS via KO.

Lee via decision.

Taylor via TKO.

Hardonk via TKO.

I like Peet don't care for Grove. I couldn't give a reason, I just don't. Grove wins this though via sub I think.

Gouveia's been strong of late finishing via sub...but Lambert has been strong too excluding his loss to R. Evans. If Babalu couldn't choke out Lambert I don't see WG doing it. Lambert via dec.

Marcus Davis has really, really stepped up as Peet said. I think he gets his 11th straight win via TKO.

Peet said it all. No one is picking Werdum after the Arlovski fight and after remembering the GG kick to Cro Cop's head. No one is picking Werdum...and neither am I. GG via TKO.

Penn is made for 155 pounds. With all his talent he could still be one of the best 170 pounders in the world, but at 155 it means he is in shape and motivated moreso than usual. In addition, he's only actually lost once to a LW fighter, and that was way '02 to Jens Pulver. His other losses are to Matt Hughes, GSP, and Machida...two larger welterweights and a LHW. Stevenson is a big strong guy himself for 155 and fought above his class in TUF, but I think Penn takes this one eventually though I really don't know how.

One correction. The main event is now for The undisputed Lightweight title. The interim part was ditched very quietly after Sherk lost his appeal.

As for any questions on how seriously Penn trained for this fight check out the picture from the weigh in. If he loses it won't be for a lack of training.

Attachments

• penn.jpg
    penn.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 2
Eklund - Stout is already penciled in to fight on the Canadian card - UFC 84. He may be looking past this opponent. DAMN - Just realized the fights are going on now. Stout won... so my prediction would've been wrong. I suck at this

fights over... no comment

Now, I'll start here. Taylor.

Robinson via GnP

I'll take Kendall just to be different.

I like this fight. I enjoy both of their games. Lambert via overhand right.

Davis because I like his last name. I wonder how far away a title shot is for him?

Napao means nose. I love that for some reason. "Nose" for the finish. He should win via TKO if Werdum doesn't backpedal or lay down the whole time.

Penn looked diesel at 155. If he trained I see him overwhelming Daddy in the 3rd. If not, Stevenson in the 4th like Hughes did to him. The final call? Penn by sub in 3rd.

I know I told a few of you I'd be doing some work at mmajunkie - I don't like the way some things went down with that guy so I'll break news to you guys and not Dann at MMAjunkie. Clementi should be on the UFC 84 card in Canada. You likely won't find that anywhere else. Also, Rich laughed at Melvin's most recent smack talk saying 'he knows my digits, he know how to contact me'

I'm so excited about UFC81. Lesnar! Sylvia! Nogeria! Mir and his 2-pack!

I got two right.... why do I keep picking fights? Didn't I give that up a while back? From now on I'll just state who I want to win since I am terrible at this game.

anyone have links?

Meh, I only got 4 right this time. Not much better than you stun. Peet got 4 also it looks like. None of us were over .500 this time. Just the way things go I guess.

I wasn't very excited about this card, but they put up some good fights! Penn vs. Sherk should be an outstanding fight.

Wow. I did bad, but BJ Penn at 155 and motivated is a...dare I say one of SR favorite terms "A Beast."

That Penn/Stevenson fight was one of the bloodier fights I can remember. Overall a good night of fights.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom