UFC 81 Lesnar vs Mir (1 Viewer)

This should be a good card of HW fights.

Nog vs Silvia

I know Nog is great on the ground and everyone is saying if he gets Sylvia down he will sub him. I'm not so sure about that, remember that is what everyone said about his fight with Jeff Monson also. Monson was finally able to get Tim down, but Tim's BJJ was amazing. Not only was his sub defense great, but he almost pulled off the sub himself.
This fight will be more challenging for Tim because Nog is more well rounded than the one-dimensional Monson. Sylvia will have to train standup and BJJ and wrestling for this fight, where in the Monson fight he mostly worked on his BJJ and takedown defense.
Many MMA fans dislike Sylvia for some reason or another, saying he is borring or doesnt finish fights, or think he is a jerk. After watching his ground skills vs Monson, and after meeting and hanging out with him, I have a lot of respect for Tim as a fighter and a person. He is a soft spoken, nice guy who works really hard at his craft. Of course Randy made him look bad, but he made a lot of people look bad. Also Tim fought injured, and never recovered from that hook Randy caught him with early in their fight. Nog is a tough well rounded fighter who will look to take Tim down, but isnt afraid to stand and trade. I think Nog will be supprised by Tim's defense, both takedown and submission. As for picking a winner, I am going to pick Sylvia by decision.

Mir vs Lesnar

I think we will know the winner based on what kind of shape Mir shows up in at weigh-ins. He has looked terrible in his last 3 fights, really terrible. He has shown up fat and out of shape and gassed out early. If he weighs in at or under 240, then I'll go with him; anything from 240-245 is a toss-up; and over 245 I'll go with Lesnar. Brock is an amazing athlete who would do well in almost any sport. He would have likely made an NFL team had he tried out again the next year after going to Vikings camp, with a year of football coaching and just learning how to play, IMO and in the opinion of other Viking players and coaches. I wonder how Brock will handle the bright lights of the Octogon for the first time. Maybe wrasslin has given him a little comfort as a performer? The longer that fight goes, the better chances Brock has to gnp a fat lazy out of shape Mir. I will give my prediction based on what I said about Mir's shape at weigh-ins.
Sorry so long.

I completely skipped a fight.

Rob Yundt Vs. Ricardo Almeida
Almeida makes his return from retirement when he faces the 7-0 Rob Yundt, who is replacing Alan Belcher. Almeida, a bjj black belt is making his return to the fight games after a nearly 4 year layoff. Yundt is 6-0 and he has finished all of his opponents except for one. It seems that Yundt is a good striker, being that he has won by TKO in 3 of his fights. I wonder if the layoff will affect Almeida as it has so many fighters.

Thinking about this fight, I think Almeida will be able to win his comeback fight. Yundt is a very late replacement and I wonder if he has had proper time to train. Add in the death of Ryan Gracie, a very dear friend of Almeida, and I think we will see a successful return to the UFC for Almeida via sub.

Terry martin had leben beat but for one punch

as for Mir/Lesnar-Mir jsut to much of a technician-lesnar may have superiror strenght and stamina. I agree-Mir looked gassed aearly in his last few fights, if Lesnar can get it to last into rd three and try striking froma distance-he might get a desicin. What intrigues me is how lesnars strnght might come into play against mirs submissions-if he can power out if them-Mir has nothing

Mir looks like he's in better shape than the last him I saw him, he has lost a lot of flab. I'm pulling for Mir but if Lesnar is serious about MMA (witch I think he is) I wish him the best of luck.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1i7un6vbqg4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1i7un6vbqg4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Keita Nakamura Vs. Rob Emerson
Not an Emerson fan. Nakamura.

David Heath Vs. Tim Boetsch
stun is a David Heath guy I would imagine, so I'll take Heath.

Marvin Eastman Vs. Terry Martin
Interesting one. Eastman didn't look awful against Rampage until the 2nd...but then again Rampage was just kinda getting used to the UFC. Martin had the Leben fight until the end obviously. I think Martin comes back with a vengeance. TKO.

Give me Almeida via decision. He won't be back completely, but the layoff will have done him some good I believe.

Chris Lytle Vs. Kyle Bradley
No clue about Bradley, but Lytle is too talented for him whoever he is.

Gleison Tibau Vs. Tyson Griffin
Interesting fight, but Griffin is pretty damn good even if Tibau is on a hot streak. Griffin via decision.

Jeremy Horn Vs. Nate Marquardt
Technical fight that I predict will actually turn into a slug fest for some reason. Just a hunch, but I see Nate the Great landing the better shots and taking the decision.

Tim Sylvia Vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Man, it's nearly impossible to ever pick against Nog, and history proves that you pretty much don't outside of Fedor. I have to admit, I have a soft spot in my heart for Tim Sylvia, but I can't figure out why. If I had a gun to my head I would take Nog via late sub...but I think Tim can do enough, even if it's ugly, to take a decision. Both these guys have terrific cardio, so that won't be a big deal. Man, I would love Tim to finish Nog though.

Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir
I don't think people are giving Lesnar enough credit, and having performed in the WWE will make any hardcore fan seem to hate him. I respect what he is doing, and there is no doubt he has been training for a few years to get to this moment. That said, just as I said with Sylvia, I have a soft spot in my heart for Mir. Maybe it was the motorcycle wreck and never knowing what might have been those next 2-2.5 years. I want to see Mir get back towards the top, and take his fighting serious. For some reason I think Brock will pound him out, but I hope Mir takes his arm off and proclaims he is back. Rumor has it he is in good shape, but I haven't seen pics yet.

Looks like Shogun/Chuck is confirmed. I can't wait for that. As most know, I've never been a Chuck fan. Respect him completely, but not a Chuck fan. I hope Shogun destroys him and proves to America that what you say a few months ago was not the true Shogun.

Lesnar looked exceptionally unexplosive in that clip.

That's pretty much what those who have seen any clips of him have said. He obviously lacks the standup game, but Mir isn't exactly Sugar Ray Leonard back there and probably the reason they picked Mir to be his opponent. Plus they are hoping he can win and they can claim he beat a UFC HW champ.

I've had the flu - lemma tell ya - it sucks. I won't be wasting an afternoon next year getting the flu shot. It didn't do any good this year. Here are my foggy-headed picks. I'm just going to tell you who I wnat to win - not who I think will win.

Keita Nakamura Vs. Rob Emerson
Nakamura - because Emerson was in a gang. Did y'all see the video of him beating up the kid by the gas tank?

David Heath Vs. Tim Boetsch
Heath is my boy. Heath by Sub - RNC

Marvin Eastman Vs. Terry Martin
Martin by TKO.

Almedia - and he'll likely be rushed into contenderhship due to the division.

Chris Lytle Vs. Kyle Bradley
Bradley trains in Baton Rouge. He works out with Rich Clementi. He used to room with my cousin. For all these reasons I hope he wins. He does have two losses on his record to Melvin Guillard though.

Gleison Tibau Vs. Tyson Griffin
I don't care for Griffin. I think it's his squatty body. I hope Tibau KO's Griffin.

Jeremy Horn Vs. Nate Marquardt
I just see Marquardt mounting and Horn turtling for some reason. Nate via ref stoppage.

Tim Sylvia Vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
I hope Big Tim wins and does so with a gusto. KO Sylvia.

Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir
When this fight was first made I kept thinking Lesnar would roll him. The closer it gets the more I back track. Mir is a vet. He doesn't need a big tank if Brock decides to take him down. Mir is 255. It's not like Lesnar will just toss him around. I'll be pulling for Lesnar. I'd like to see a close first round wiht Mir gassing in the second allowing Lesnar to get a slam in.

I don't understand the Shogun/Liddell fight. Winner gets??? Jardine? I'll be fun to watch but I hope Chuck takes the fight no matter where it is. I heard he's balking at the London show and wants it in Vegas. Chuck - you need to travel. Vegas is not always your friend.

Finally, if anyone had any doubts about UFC signing Lesnar - just look at this thread. Typically the second page doesn't start until after the fights...

People aren't giving Lesnar his due credit at all. The man had an overall amateur wrestling record of 106-5 at the University of Minnesota (I think thats where he went to college). He can defenitly handle himself on the ground. He was a 3 time All-American and a National Champion. I think if he's been practicing his standup, he has a great chance to win this fight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom