UFC 82: Silva vs Henderson (1 Viewer)

peglegpeet13

23-3 What a Night!!!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This Saturday the UFC returns with its first champion vs champion bout. UFC Middleweight champion Anderson Silva vs Pride Middleweight chamion Dan Henderson. It is a very intriguing match that I am looking forward to. As usual here is the card:

John Halverson Vs. Jorge Gurgel:
Don't know too much about Halverson except that he lost his only UFC fight to Roger Huerta. Gugel, I know about him...Rich Franklin's best friend and jj coach. He is supposed to be very good on the ground except that I haven't really seen him use it. He is in love with his stand-up...go figure. He has heart and there is no denying that and for some reason, I see him getting the W this weekend.

David Bielkheden Vs. Diego Sanchez
I don't know anything about Bielkheden, but I think Sanchez will be looking to bounce back from two straight losses. I think he comes into this fight focused and he gets back on the winning track with a W here.

Dustin Hazelett Vs. Josh Koscheck
I just can't stand Kos..never have. I will admit that he is getting much better. He has great wrestling snd he will be hungry coming off of a loss to GSP. He will be facing a tough opponent that is currently on a 3 fight winning streak in the UFC. I think that if Kos can control the match with his wrestling, he will be able to scoe a unanimous dec win. I think he can so I will give him the nod here.

Luigi Fioravanti Vs. Luke Cummo
This will be a stand-up fight. Both of these guys like to strike and they both can dish it out while taking the punishment. I think this will be a fun fight that Cummo will win via strikes.

Jake O'Brien Vs. Andrei Arlovski
How the mighty have fallen. Arlovski, the former Heavyweight champ has been relegated to the undercard that might not be broadcasted. Rumor is that this could be his last UFC fight. This is an interesting fight. I think the UFC is hoping that O'Brien can use his wrestling to control Arlovski. Can he do it? I think he can. Arlovski has looked very tentative in his last few fights and I think that if O'Brien doesn't get sucked into a striking match, he can win. I will go out on a limb and predict O'Brien via Dec.

Chris Wilson Vs. Jon Fitch
This will be a good fight. Wilson is a former Sportfight champion that fights out of Team Quest. Fitch is a very tough opponent that is on a roll. 7-0 in the UFC. I think he will be able to get yet another win in the UFC putting himself in the line for an eventual title fight.

Yushin Okami Vs. Evan Tanner
Tanner is back. I am a big Tanner fan even when he vanishes off the face of the Earth. He is quite the odd one and I really enjoy watching him fight. This will be a tough fight for both men. Can Okami use his strength and ground and pound his opponent in this fight? I am not sure, Tanner is a crafty vet and I would like to see him get another win here in the UFC. I think he will be able to score a win here.

Alessio Sakara Vs. Chris Leben
I have all but written Leben off countless times. I thought he would lose to Martin, but having power and a concrete head has worked to his advantage. Sakara is a good fighter with good boxing skills. Will he be able to KO Leben? I think Leben, who many don't like is too rounded for Sakara. If Leben feels the pressure in the stand-uo, I expect him to be able to take Sakara down and work from the ground. I see Leben getting another win.

Heath Herring Vs. Cheick Kongo
Interesting fight. Two big old boys getting ready to pound each other. I think Herring has lost some of his luster as of late and I think that Kongo, coming off of his victory over Cro-Cop will be very confident going into this fight. I think Kongo will be able to use his strength and power to get the win over Herring.

Anderson Silva Vs. Dan Henderson
This is a very exciting fight. Silva, who is just steamrolling his opponents is going up against the always dangerous Dan Henderson. The vibe that many people have about this fight is that Silva will get yet another win rather easily. I don't agree with that. Of all the fighters that fight in the division, Henderson holds the best shot at winning. He is strong and a tough wrestler that hasn't been knocked out with a very heavy right hand.

Silva is just amazing right now. He is devastating in the clinch and he has pin point accuracy in his hands. I would like to know if he will be able to control Dan in the clinch. I think this fight will be one to remember. It will be a tough standup battle and I feel that it will hit the mats a few times. In the end, I see Hendo getting his hands raised after a hard right hand finds its mark. I think this will be a great fight.

Well that is that. Let's hear them.

You know I've got to go with my boy Danny! As far as Silva's clinch goes, Danny is a 2x Greco-Roman Olympian... I think he'll do just fine in tie ups.

Can't wait til Saturday, should be some awesome fights. Only thing I don't like is that Arlovski is on the preliminary but whatever. Here are my picks

Jon Fitch vs. Chris Wilson
Like you said, Fitch is on a role. I think he wins this one by TKO

Chris Leben vs. Alessio Sakara
Sakara is a decent puncher and will give Leben a harder time than most think. I think Leben wins this one via decision

Evan Tanner vs. Yushin Okami
I like Tanner but I think he is too old and has been out of the ring too long. Okami by TKO

Heath Herring vs. Cheick Kongo
I'm actually looking forward to this more than the main event. I don't know why but I've always liked Crazy Horse and I think he wins via split decision. Kongo bullies around people who are smaller than him and I'm not convinced that he can beat a fighter with the size and skills Herring has. I think it will be a slugfest and it can very well go either way but I'm sticking with Herring

Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson
This fight is going to be a war. They are going to trade and I wouldn't be surprised to see a KO but I think it will end with Silva catching Hendo with an armbar to claim the victory

<B>John Halverson</B> Vs. Jorge Gurgel
David Bielkheden Vs. <B>Diego Sanchez</B>
Dustin Hazelett Vs. <B>Josh Koscheck</B>
Luigi Fioravanti Vs. <B>Luke Cummo</B>
Jake O'Brien Vs. <B>Andrei Arlovski</B>
Chris Wilson Vs. <B>Jon Fitch</B>
<B>Yushin Okami</B> Vs. Evan Tanner
Alessio Sakara Vs. <B>Chris Leben</B>
Heath Herring Vs. <B>Cheick Kongo</B>
<B>Anderson Silva</B> Vs. Dan Henderson: Cant go against IMO the best P4P in the world today.

I thought Rampage vs Henderson was also champion vs champion. Maybe Im wrong?

Technically it was two champions going against each other, but only the Light Heavyweight title was on the line. The winner of this fight will be the first Unified Pride/UFC Champ. I probably should have included that little bit.

Good card. The only fight I really have an interest in predicting is the Henderson/Silva fight. While Silva has been blasting through guys recently, I don't think he's fought a guy of Henderson's caliber yet. I see Henderson doing everything he can to take the fight to the ground, and if he does, I think he has the advantage.

Prediction: Henderson via GNP (ref stoppage)

If Silva wins, what the heck are they going to do with the middleweight division?

What a night of fights.. I forgot it was already coming up this Saturday... :worthy:

Amazing card! At this point, Henderson is the only MW who has a realistic chance to be Silva. Anderson is truely amazing, and a great champion. If his English was better, he would be a marketing phenom for the sport.

Good card. The only fight I really have an interest in predicting is the Henderson/Silva fight. While Silva has been blasting through guys recently, I don't think he's fought a guy of Henderson's caliber yet. I see Henderson doing everything he can to take the fight to the ground, and if he does, I think he has the advantage.

Prediction: Henderson via GNP (ref stoppage)

If Silva wins, what the heck are they going to do with the middleweight division?

Matt Lindland, but the UFC..Dana White and Lindland can't seem to stand each other.

Not the most exciting card in my opinion, but that Silva-Henderson fight should be excellent. Unfortunately I can't watch this card, but I'm sure the fights will be up on the internet the next day.

I think Henderson beats Silva in this one. Henderson held his ground against Rampage, although Rampage was able to use his superior size/strength to control the fight. Against Silva, Henderson has that advantage, and I think he'll use it dominate Silva in the clinch and on the ground. If you think back to Silva-Lutter, the stronger Lutter was actually able to control much of that fight. Henderson is a much more talented fighter than Lutter, and I think he has to be the favourite.

That said, based on Silva's recent tear... it doesn't look like there is anyone out there that he couldn't knock out. Should be an exciting fight.

By the way guys, there's a site called MMAlinker.com that compiles MMA videos from all over the internet (and sometimes the website streams them, itself). If you miss a card, you should be able to see them on that site the next day (and you don't have to worry about them getting pulled later).

Last edited:
Henderson by UD. Hendo is a terrible matchup for Silva - world class wrestler, extremely strong, granite chin, sledgehammer right hand. Hendo is going to control the match with his wrestling, and I cannot see Silva KOing or subbing Henderson. If Silva some how does, he is no. 1 p4p.

This should be an awesome matchup.. Really looking forward to it.. I can see Henderson controlling Silva on the ground with his strength, but I worry about Silva slipping him into an armbar or triangle.. Tough one to call..

I know Henderson's got a tough chin, but can he withstand Silva's accuracy? What about the clinch? I know Henderson's strong, but the way Silva treated Franklin like a ragdoll makes me wonder..

I know Henderson can take a punch, but can he take a sick combo of 4-6 punches? Can anyone? Hendo's only chance is to GnP Silva. IMO Silva is the most complete, well-rounded fighter in the world. Its hard to bet against him, even against Danny boy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom