UFC 83: GSP vs Serra (1 Viewer)

peglegpeet13

23-3 What a Night!!!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, the UFC is back with the anticipated rematch between GSP and Matt Serra. Set in GSP's home, the odds seem stacked against Serra. Can he retain the title and prove one of the biggest upsets of the year was no fluke? Here are my quick picks and a little analysis.

Kuniyoshi Hironaka Vs Jonathan Goulet
Interesting match-up. Hironaka wins

Brad Morris Vs Cain Velasquez.
Velasquez

Rich Clementi vs Sam Stout
Intriguing fight. Stout is great on the feet, Clementi is the better all-around fighter. I think he is smart enough to take this fight to the ground where he will submit Stout. No Love!!

Ed Herman vs Demia Maia
Maia wins

Jason day vs Alan Belcher
Belcher wins

Joe Doerksen vs Jason MacDonald.
Battle of the Canadiens. I think Doersken gets the W

Mark Bocek vs Mac Danzig.
danzig

Charles McCarthy vs Michael Bisping
Bisping dropped to 185 after his "win" vs Hammill. I think he is better than McCarthy whom he will finish with strikes.

Nate Quarry vs Kalib Starnes
I am not sure about this fight. Nate looked rusty in his last win and I think Starnes wins in his home. I like Nate and I do hope he wins.

Travis Lutter vs Rich Franklin
I am calling for the upset. I think Lutter will win this fight. I think he will be able to get this fight to the ground where he will shock evryone and get the W.

GSP vs Matt Serra
Was the first fight a fluke? I don't think so. Serra won fair and square, but I honestly think this fight will be different. I think GSP is going to take his belt back in fine fashion.

Thats it..sorry, but I am at work and can't get quite detailed with my analysis.

Mamba

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'll predict the fights we know for sure are going to air.

Danzig by RNC

Bisping by dec

Starnes by KO

Franklin by dec ...and after this fight Dana White makes an announcement that the main event for the July PPV will be Anderson Silva vs. a pack of mountain leopards.

GSP vs Matt Serra
GSP by strikes (ref stoppage)

Spicoli

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with St. Pierre also. The home field advantage will be huge.

Mamba

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with St. Pierre also. The home field advantage will be huge.

I don't even think he needs it. GSP will be more motivated than ever.

stunpals

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Kuniyoshi Hironaka Vs Jonathan Goulet
Hironaka because Goulet has bad hair.

Brad Morris Vs Cain Velasquez.
The last time the UFC brought in a new heavyweight fighter he was boring to watch. The big hawaian somoan looking dude. I hope these boys throw some leather. Velazquez.

Rich Clementi vs Sam Stout
Rich via sub. RNC? Why not.

Ed Herman vs Demia Maia
Maia. Herman rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I think it's the way he wanted to quit during his stint on TUF before Randy Couture visited and 'inspired' him. Lame.

Jason day vs Alan Belcher
Patrick Cote turned down a fight with Belcher because he thought it was a step down. Weak. I'll say Belcher and hope he calls out Cote after the fight.

Joe Doerksen vs Jason MacDonald.
MacDonald by armbar.

Danzig.

I want McCarthy to win but... Bisping will likely pull it out.

Quarry by KO.

Peet, you stole my thunder. I figured I'd be the one calling for the upset. I see Lutter weathering the Franklin storm and outclassing him on the ground too. Lutter.

GSP vs Matt Serra
I'll call the upset here. Serra wins by lucky punch. Seriously, I think Serra may be in GSPs head. I love how Serra's buddy, Pete Sell, called GSP a mental midget. Will GSP open up with his striking prowess or will he remember in the back of him mind the last fight? Serra in the upset and I can't wait to here the Canadian crowd boo the roof off the joint.

Normally I wouldn't order this card but my cousin is coming to town so I will. The next card looks tantalizing and of course I want to watch Rampage powerbomb Forrest later this summer.

OP
OP
peglegpeet13

peglegpeet13

23-3 What a Night!!!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I laughed when Pete Sell called GSP a mental midget. I just have a hard time taking Sell, who reminds me of Rocky from Mask...the movie with Cher, calling someone a mental midget. Then again, Sell could be a member of MENSA for all I know:)

bop

Very Banned
Reaction score
Im pulling for Serra but I dont think he will win.

Waymer

Waymer
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dang, Peet stole stun's thunder, and then stun stole mine on the Serra upset. I have no logical reason as to why I think Serra will win...it's just a gut feeling.

Picks coming later.

Rugger

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So how did Serra "cross the line"? I thought GSP and Serra were cool with eachother or is it just pre fight batter?

Also I read a story in SI about Lee Murray. That man is a nut. A rich nut, but a nut.

OP
OP
peglegpeet13

peglegpeet13

23-3 What a Night!!!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So how did Serra "cross the line"? I thought GSP and Serra were cool with eachother or is it just pre fight batter?

Also I read a story in SI about Lee Murray. That man is a nut. A rich nut, but a nut.

From what I have heard, he had GSP removed from Renzo's academy and said bad things about him,,,typical stuff.

Lee Murray sure was a waste. Ko'd Tito in a street fight, then eventually pulls a huge bank heist. Sounds like good times.

Reaction score
Not the smartest thing in the world to have your camp talk trash to the most physically dominating fighter in the sport. Just for that comment, GSP's gonna finish this fight via butt cheek squeeze.

stunpals

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
GSP's gonna finish this fight via butt cheek squeeze.

With pants down?

He really crossed the line was also in reference to Serra calling him a Frenchy and telling me to go home and eat canadian bacon or some weak food reference. Maybe it was a coffee jab.

Now, Serra was cool with GSP until GSP started making excuses for losing. That's when Serra started smacking GSP around with the frenchy remarks. Hence, "He really crossed the line" Which is funny considering that's what the French said about the Germans in WWII.

OP
OP
peglegpeet13

peglegpeet13

23-3 What a Night!!!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
With pants down?

He really crossed the line was also in reference to Serra calling him a Frenchy and telling me to go home and eat canadian bacon or some weak food reference. Maybe it was a coffee jab.

Now, Serra was cool with GSP until GSP started making excuses for losing. That's when Serra started smacking GSP around with the frenchy remarks. Hence, "He really crossed the line" Which is funny considering that's what the French said about the Germans in WWII.

:):)

stunpals

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I just watched the weigh-ins. Wow, that place was packed and rockin' and that's just for the weigh-in. I can't imagine the noise when GSP and Serra take to the ring. I'm rethinking my Serra pick. He seemed a little overwhelmed by the noise. I'll stick with Serra.

Also, too much pants dropping behind the towel during the weigh-ins. Question, did Arriany and Edith (the ring chicks) give Ed Herman his nickname after seeing him drop the the pants in a previous fight?

OP
OP
peglegpeet13

peglegpeet13

23-3 What a Night!!!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That crowd was going nuts. I think this might be one of the loudest fights in UFC history.

stunpals

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Fedor v Timmy

"Fedor Emelianenko (27-1) says a rumored bout with former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia (24-4) -- a bout he first announced earlier this month -- is now official.

The former PRIDE title-holder confirmed the July 19 fight on his personal website."

No arena or fight banner named yet but Affliction (new group) and Dallas AA Arena are mentioned in past blogs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom