Uh OH........Saints' D coming on? (1 Viewer)

SaintsDrunkard

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
They've now given up the fewest points in the division. Not close to other teams in NFC, but given the blowout wins, some of those points have been in garbage time...

Points Against

Saints 239
Carolina 252
Atlanta 276
Tampa Bay 329

Alot of it has to do with our offense blowing teams out. Opposing offenses feel pressure to score on every single drive. That leads to them pressing.

I still don't want this defense taking the field and defending a four point game with 2 minutes or less.

The last 2 weeks have been against teams with injuries. Not taking away from what they have done but if we keep the Falcons under 24 then I will feel even better.

Alot of it has to do with our offense blowing teams out. Opposing offenses feel pressure to score on every single drive. That leads to them pressing.

I still don't want this defense taking the field and defending a four point game with 2 minutes or less.

Yeah, but what defense in the NFL would you want in that situation? The game today is made for scoring.

The last 2 weeks have been against teams with injuries. Not taking away from what they have done but if we keep the Falcons under 24 then I will feel even better.
Name a team in the NFL that isn’t banged up at this point in the season.

This is such a copout for the Joe Buck and Aikmans of the world. The Saints played today (and other games)without their starting LT (many teams cave on that alone), starting slot CB (Robinson), numbers 2/3/4 WR’s entering the season (Ginn/Meredith/Lewis), their purchased #2 (Dez), best blocking TE (Hooman...), #1 pick and one of the most dynamic defenders (Davenport). Aikman and Buck made a passing reference to Armstead while putting up multi layer graphics on our opponents’ injuries. We have been bitten by the injury bug like everyone else except the team built quality depth. Most of our top injured players will be back by the end of the regular season and I’m lookjng forward to steamrolling the Rams and any other NFC/AFC pretender in January.

I completely disagree. I have Carson Wentz in fantasy football and I benched him this week despite the fact he was on ALL KINDS of start ‘em lists because of lagging stats about our D that no longer tell the true story.

I don’t think it’s just situational, I think the D is for real.

I wish we could fire up the wayback machine and replay the opening game against the Bucs, still scratching my head over that one...

This is such a copout for the Joe Buck and Aikmans of the world. The Saints played today (and other games)without their starting LT (many teams cave on that alone), starting slot CB (Robinson), numbers 2/3/4 WR’s entering the season (Ginn/Meredith/Lewis), their purchased #2 (Dez), best blocking TE (Hooman...), #1 pick and one of the most dynamic defenders (Davenport). Aikman and Buck made a passing reference to Armstead while putting up multi layer graphics on our opponents’ injuries. We have been bitten by the injury bug like everyone else except the team built quality depth. Most of our top injured players will be back by the end of the regular season and I’m lookjng forward to steamrolling the Rams and any other NFC/AFC pretender in January.
We dont match up well with the Falcons. As bad as I cant stand the Falcons, they are a tough match up. Our Saints have always been able to score no matter who we have playing. The Bengals, you take away Green and they are nothing. The Eagles just dont have anybody that scares me. The Falcons do and that's why I said I would feel better about our d if we hold them 24 or under. I believe in them but to me Thursday night will ge a good test. We will put up 40.

The Falcons have probably the best receiving corp in the NFL in Jones, Sanu and Ridley. Plenty of threats in the backfield and at tightend as well. 13 points is ludicrous in any divisional match. I would take a 1 TD win right now. The big difference on D now is QB pressure and blitzes. We were too conservative up to now. Maybe it was a case of getting back to basics but we are not as susceptible on deep balls thrown anymore. Anzalone has been a revelation these past few weeks. Okofar has really stepped up and Rankins has been playing at pro bowl level. The difference is everyone is contributing. The transformation on Defense has coincided with PJ Williams upturn in form. We are not really carrying anyone anymore.

Tell me how many teams in the world want that situation? Not many. So what you're saying doesn't classify this defence as particularly bad, certainly not in the hyper high scoring, offense-friendly NFL.

REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL 123...

The Falcons have probably the best receiving corp in the NFL in Jones, Sanu and Ridley. Plenty of threats in the backfield and at tightend as well. 13 points is ludicrous in any divisional match. I would take a 1 TD win right now. The big difference on D now is QB pressure and blitzes. We were too conservative up to now. Maybe it was a case of getting back to basics but we are not as susceptible on deep balls thrown anymore. Anzalone has been a revelation these past few weeks. Okofar has really stepped up and Rankins has been playing at pro bowl level. The difference is everyone is contributing. The transformation on Defense has coincided with PJ Williams upturn in form. We are not really carrying anyone anymore.
This is true but I think it's due equally in part to the acquisition of Eli Apple. He has improved every week. In case you didn't notice, as soon as Crawley got on the field, he was beaten and flagged for pass interference. We have better overall coverage which is giving the dline an extra second or two to get to the QB. A lot of those "almost" sacks are turning into actual sacks as a result.

Apple has done well and moving PJ to the slot seems to be a better fit for him. Looking forward to getting Davenport back to throw in there with Rankins (playing like a beast) and Jordan.

And adding Davis was huge!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom